Seagate Cuda V vs. 7200.7 Significant differences in noise?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Edwood

Seagate Cuda V vs. 7200.7 Significant differences in noise?

Post by Edwood » Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:01 pm

I'm considering buying the newer 7200.7 ST3120026A 120GB /w 8MB Cache.

Silicon Acoustics seems to be the only one carrying the older Cuda V ST3120024A 120GB /w 8MB Cache. But at $170, OUCH!

Is the newer 7200.7 louder or quieter?
I've noticed that the 7200.7 series no longer has the "Sea-shield".

-Ed

karmasalad

Post by karmasalad » Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:31 pm

All reports that I've read have said the 7200.7 is slightly louder than the V series. Note also that the V's still have acoustic management available, whereas 7200.7's do not.

Try searching the forum and you'll see plenty of more info on it.

[Edited to correct error on SATA V's.]
Last edited by karmasalad on Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:04 pm

karmasalad wrote:All reports that I've read have said the 7200.7 is slightly louder than the V series. Note also that the PATA versions of the V's still have acoustic management available, whereas SATA V's and 7200.7's do not.

Try searching the forum and you'll see plenty of more info on it.
Au contrare monfrare :) The SATA V's AAM can be turned on via the Hitachi Feature tool. See hopester's posts in WARNING - no 'quiet seek' for Barracuda V SATA! Despite the name of the thread :)

Also may want to look up Dru's 7200.7 review in the Storage section of the main site.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:19 am

I'll second what aphonos wrote. You can indeed enable AAM on the SATA Barracuda V. I've done it using the Hitachi Feature tool that he mentioned.

And as far as availability of the 120GB Barracuda V SATAs, I don't know where you live but Fry's Electronics has the retail boxed version (comes safely packed in foam with SATA cable and power adapter) for $160. They have tons of them in stock in the several Fry's I've been to in the last week or so.

Edwood

Post by Edwood » Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:18 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:I'll second what aphonos wrote. You can indeed enable AAM on the SATA Barracuda V. I've done it using the Hitachi Feature tool that he mentioned.

And as far as availability of the 120GB Barracuda V SATAs, I don't know where you live but Fry's Electronics has the retail boxed version (comes safely packed in foam with SATA cable and power adapter) for $160. They have tons of them in stock in the several Fry's I've been to in the last week or so.
I live near the Manhattan Beach Fry's. Ugh, I hate that Fry's, it's so cramped.

I found the 8MB Cache PATA ST3120024A for $128. Is this one comparable to the Cuda V SATA? Storagereview.com seems to point to the extra cache as the source of the added performance rather than the SATA interface.

How much louder (perceptibly) is the 120GB Cuda V compared to the 60GB Cuda V?

-Ed

karmasalad

Post by karmasalad » Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:27 am

aphonos wrote: Au contrare monfrare :) The SATA V's AAM can be turned on via the Hitachi Feature tool. See hopester's posts in WARNING - no 'quiet seek' for Barracuda V SATA! Despite the name of the thread :)
D'oh. Thanks for correcting my error then. I haven't kept up with the info on the Barracudas after I decided to go Samsung. :wink:

bobg573

120GB SATA V

Post by bobg573 » Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:10 pm

Computers4Sure.com has 120GB Barracuda Serial ATA V w/ 8MB cache for $150 and shows 151 in stock.

I've spent a lot of money with C4Sure with no problems - but watch their limited return policy on certain items, including Seagate drives.

(I've already warned my wife that I'll be spending some of my "next upgrade" money a bit early if their stock of the 80GB SATA V drives drops too low.)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Jul 13, 2003 4:05 am

Edwood wrote:
Ralf Hutter wrote:I'll second what aphonos wrote. You can indeed enable AAM on the SATA Barracuda V. I've done it using the Hitachi Feature tool that he mentioned.

I live near the Manhattan Beach Fry's. Ugh, I hate that Fry's, it's so cramped.

I found the 8MB Cache PATA ST3120024A for $128. Is this one comparable to the Cuda V SATA? Storagereview.com seems to point to the extra cache as the source of the added performance rather than the SATA interface.
-Ed
Manhattan Beach Fry's sucks. Low ceilings, cramped floor space, disoraganized stock, that awful Tiki theme = yeech!

Yes, that PATA 8MB Cuda V is the twin of the SATA Cuda V. But, search the posts here and/or at Storagereview.com because I think some folks are having problems with the 8MB PATA Cuda V's.

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Sun Jul 13, 2003 6:58 am

should perform the same sata vs pata adds very little :\
nice cables, and hotswap.
my 7200.7 dont whine, its suspended, seaks are probably louder htan previous, but still quiet :)

Dru
Patron of SPCR

Post by Dru » Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:20 pm

Cramped? I feel sorry for you guys down there. All the local Fry's in the Bay Area (about 5 of them?) are so spacious. The 2 I've been to in Arizona are also very spacious.

But then again, the first, "original" Fry's I used to visit in Sunnyvale was "tiny-tiny". That was back around the late 1980s I believe. It was the only electronics store around where you'd have a huge candy isle by the checkout.

I still work less than a mile away from that original Fry's and the "revamped" Fry's is across the street from where I work (in Sunnyvale still). I'm such a Fry's junkie!