HDD Life in a low noise system in Perth

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Milek

HDD Life in a low noise system in Perth

Post by Milek » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:21 am

Basically I have an Antec p150 with an e6300 (stock fan) and a x1950pro with a vf900 on it. The stock exhaust fan I have set to run on low and I"m using the stock PSU. The room does not have any air conditioning in it but I do my best to keep it cool (Windows open when there's a sea breeze, lights only on if necessary and the curtains are almost always closed). I have two ahrddrives, both seagates, one an 80GB SATA and the other a 160GB IDE, both are suspended by those nifty pieces of elastic.

I really enjoy how I have to put my ear quite close to my PC to check if it's on a lot of the time (The PC is in the same room I sleep in so when I built it I didn't plug in any of the lights). I don't thrash my PC all the time but I do play BF: Vietnam online (Soon to be BF2 or SW: Battlefront 2) and occasionally leave it online to download movies and applications that are completely legal to download without paying for (Naturally).

I was just wondering, would my hdd life be affected to adversely by sticking it in this kind of environment?Should I just mount the hdds on the standard mounting device, I don't mind hearing that clicky sort of noise now and then but I do love never hearing it anymore though.

angelkiller

Post by angelkiller » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:56 am

May I direct you to look at this thread?

Also, does the P150 have a intake fan mount, by chance? A slow spinning 120mm fan may help you.

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:14 am

Hard drive temperatures would be helpful. Use SpeedFan or some other software that can read hard drive temperatures. Seagates aren't necessarily very cool and quiet these days, but since yours are fairly small (not many platters), it's probably OK.

BTW, angelkiller, the P150 has 2 90mm fan mounts for intake, not a 120mm.

angelkiller

Post by angelkiller » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:45 am

stromgald wrote:P150 has 2 90mm fan mounts for intake, not a 120mm.
I don't have the case, I was just asking. Out of curiosity, does the P150's intakes go on the left of the Hard drives, or the right? (Looking into the case)

psiu

Post by psiu » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:37 pm

I don't have it either, but I believe they are to the right--or in front of the hard drives depending on how you want to say it.

Perhaps a 92mm Nexus undervolted would be good there...practically inaudible and a definite boost to the cooling on the HD's.

What kind of temps are you getting on the HDs currently?