PSU troubles

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

lukemcconnell

Post by lukemcconnell » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

Hi,
<BR>
<BR>I sucessfully modified a Macron Temp-controlled PSU, but after 3 weeks it has started to make a hissing noise. I am sure this is nothing to do with the mods, and the unit is about to fail. I bought an Enhance "Near-Silent" PSU for 45ukp...but after 5 minutes...its the loudest psu i have ever had! It has gone back for a refund.
<BR>
<BR>So what should I do? I dont want to get another "cheap" psu that is going to fail on me after i have "adjusted" it. I also cannot afford to buy another pricey one that is rubbish. Should I just shell out for the QuietPC device? (65ukp)
<BR>
<BR>Any suggestions welcome!! I need my PC back!!
<BR>
<BR>
[addsig]

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

If you're willing to hack around, already know how and have a quiet fan, you could take your chances with a cheap generic PSU -- maybe one slightly higher rated that you think you really need, just to be on the safe side. Although I have not had one in my hands, I gather the QuietPC PSU is very quiet. You might check out my <!-- BBCode Start --><A HREF="http://www.silentpcreview.com/goto.php?t=s&id=20&a=1" TARGET="_blank">review of the Seasonic PSU</A><!-- BBCode End -->. It's not silent but it is quiet.
[addsig]