Antec Neo HE 550W fan swap

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Niklas

Antec Neo HE 550W fan swap

Post by Niklas » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:12 am

Hi!

I just finished swaping the fan in my Neo HE 550W PSU to a Nexus SP8025 12L-03. The swap was quite straight forward and I replaced the mounting screws with rubber gommets at the same time. Adding some pics anyway.

When I firts turned the system on the fan didn't start so after banging my head to the wall for not testing before installing I uninstalled the psu again to check the connectivity. Reconnected the old fan and restarted the system. Worked fine. At the second try with my new Nexus i saw the fan twiching at startup but it didn't start. Then I thought perhaps the undervolting from the thermal sensor didn't give the fan enough voltage to start so I raised the temperature by using a blowdryer directed at the heatsink of the PSU. After a while the fan started up.
I reassembled the system and let it run for a while.

After two hours of surfing and postig messages the Nexus PSU fan has not yet started. It's in a P180 Case so the board and the CPU temp is normal but the HD temp is 10 degrees celsius higher.
  • Do I need to worry about this or is the PSU allright as long as it doesen't start the fan?
    Is it better to override the thermosensor and let the fan run at max all the time?
Will do some gaming to see if it starts up at harder workload.

Thankful for advise.

The original fan

The Nexus

After the replacement. Note the thermal sensor on the heatsink.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:27 pm

Hello Niklas,

Are you using the interior 120mm fan in the lower chamber of the P180?
Sincerely, Neil
http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:45 pm

That's not a thermal sensor on top of the heatsink. That's the dummy load added to correct the neo he startup problem. It was not present in the original version of the neo he. I assume you're referring to the device anchored to the heatsink with a clip and connected to a molex connector. By the way, is that the A3 or A4 rev.?

Anyway, the adda is a high speed fan so it will start at a much lower voltage than the nexus.

The neo he is supposed to be very quiet especially if used in the lower chamber of the p180. Have you found it to be noisy? The 430w neo he tested by spcr used a medium speed fan however.
[size=75]
[color=#3366ff]e8400, Corsair XMS2-5400, Asus 8400GS, Gigabyte EP45-UD3R, Chenbro SR209/Nexus 120, T-Balancer, Enhance ENP-5150GH 500W, Seagate 7200.7 160MB [/color][/size][size=75][color=#cc0033](Retired: XP-120, FSP530-60GNA, Antec SP2.0 500W, Antec SLK3000B)[/color][/size]

Niklas

Post by Niklas » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:33 pm

Thank you for your replies Neil and Frank

No, at the moment I am not using the fan in the lower chamber. Photos of the case are posted in the gallery:

viewtopic.php?t=38578&start=0&postdays= ... highlight=

The reason I brought the Neo HE was the great review here at SPCR. Was that another type of fan installed in the test PSU?
When I had replaced the Tricool fans for Nexus case fans the PSU was the biggest source of noise.
The choise of replacement fan was easy, I thoght, but the question is if there is any whay around this problem, because I prefer having the fan running all the time to cool the HD also, without having to add another fan to the lower chamber.

I will get back to the revision version tomorrow when I have a possibility to check.

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:56 pm

Yes, the 430w model spcr tested used a medium speed fan. I'm not sure if that is really a problem or not, but I don't think I would use a nexus 80mm as the only fan in the lower chamber. I don't have a p180, but some users remove the psu fan and only use the lower chamber fan to pull air through the hard drives and push air through the psu. The case vents around the psu are taped so air flows through the psu; the psu fan is removed. That way, you can use a 120mm fan and move more air. Also, using a nexus in a raised temperature environment (psu) will reduce the life of the fan, but many do it anyway.
[size=75]
[color=#3366ff]e8400, Corsair XMS2-5400, Asus 8400GS, Gigabyte EP45-UD3R, Chenbro SR209/Nexus 120, T-Balancer, Enhance ENP-5150GH 500W, Seagate 7200.7 160MB [/color][/size][size=75][color=#cc0033](Retired: XP-120, FSP530-60GNA, Antec SP2.0 500W, Antec SLK3000B)[/color][/size]

Niklas

Post by Niklas » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:50 am

Thanx Frank

I guess i have to find another solution. The easiest being to power the PSU fan externally directly from the moterboard perhaps. In that way I can use the fans I already have.