More Ghetto than that... Crisspy's quiet milk crate.

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

crisspy
Friend of SPCR

More Ghetto than that... Crisspy's quiet milk crate.

Post by crisspy » Fri Apr 25, 2003 7:19 am

Yup, I'm still having fun. On the quiet side, it's remarkable how quiet this thing is, given that it's got it all hangin' out ;) I can hear it, but the monitor is more annoying. The 7v Panaflo on the HSF is quieter than the Seasonic, which if you get up close gives off bearing noise. GRRRR... why won't they use Panafo's... love those FDB's.

The FuzzBox is still here as a duct, but the crappy beige case is now at my buddy Jim's, holding the Hienze Cooler.

Oh yeah, BTW, those little latches that hold in the mobo tray, they are cut & bent from the corners of an old stamped fan grille, which proves they can be good for something after all.

Click the pic to see the rest of it, at my stoopid website...
Last edited by crisspy on Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Fri Apr 25, 2003 9:51 am

crisspy....You are King Ghetto!

I remember you mentioning the monitor noise bothering your somewhere else in the forums, too (can't remember the thread and too lazy to search).

I was wondering if you are getting EMI from the open nature of your milk crate. Have you considered some shielding a la MikeC's PC in a Breadbox??

crisspy
Friend of SPCR

Post by crisspy » Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:05 am

In self-obvious inspiration, aphonos wrote:crisspy....You are King Ghetto!
Thanks for the appointment aphonos :lol:

About monitor buzz, it's standard coil hum. Shake rattle and roll. I'm too lazy to glue them up. Will do it sometime I guess.

And as for EMI, nope. I don't use a cell phone, my cordless doesn't mind. Maybe I'll get cancer though. Who knows eh?

Cheers

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:41 am

LOL omg that looks horrible

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:53 am

You really took advantage of the pink styrofoam there!

Will35

Post by Will35 » Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:34 pm

Gotta love it, Crisspy.. what I want to know is where did you snag the crate? Is the local 7-11 coming up short ? :)

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:30 pm

The cable management through the crate handles is classy :wink:

fancontrol

Post by fancontrol » Fri Apr 25, 2003 6:46 pm

I bow down to your superior ghetto-ness. Or should I say, ghettosity?

NateR

Post by NateR » Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:41 pm

Yes milk crates are awesome for many things, and as far as i can tell, you just cant buy the real ones. The ones you can buy at k-mart/target/etc are a cheap imitation, made of inferior and flimsier plastic.

A method my friend swears by for getting the good crates is to go grocery shopping at 1 in the morning, when they often times have the crates lying about after stocking the shelves. Put some groceries in there, then take it to the register. If the clerk doesnt say anything, you just got yourself a good sturdy milk crate.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Apr 26, 2003 10:24 am

Good thing you put that I/O panel on your MoBo, you wouldn't want any stray EMI to leak out of your system! :)

crisspy
Friend of SPCR

Post by crisspy » Sat Apr 26, 2003 12:08 pm

In an attempt at insightfulness, Ralf Hutter wrote:Good thing you put that I/O panel on your MoBo, you wouldn't want any stray EMI to leak out of your system!
Actually Ralf, the lables help me not forget where to hook things up. So many wires, so little mind.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Apr 27, 2003 3:07 am

crisspy wrote:
In an attempt at insightfulness, Ralf Hutter wrote:Good thing you put that I/O panel on your MoBo, you wouldn't want any stray EMI to leak out of your system!
Actually Ralf, the lables help me not forget where to hook things up. So many wires, so little mind.
No, actually that was an attempt at humor, hence the "smiley".

I guess the results show why I'm not on the short list for Jay Leno or David Letterman's jobs...

crisspy
Friend of SPCR

Post by crisspy » Sun Apr 27, 2003 6:55 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:No, actually that was an attempt at humor, hence the "smiley".
My "...so little mind" reply to you was my over-dried attempt at humor back at you. Here's the winkies that should have followed it ;) ;) but didn't :oops:
I learned all those connections by feel from so many years of dealing with systems that have them all out back where you can't see them. I was very tired of not seeing them, so my present abomination has got them all out on the front where I can.

I promise to never get pissy on these forums, unless it's purely in the name of fun and attempted humor. I can hardly begin to express how much I appreciate the supurb community here at SPCR. I see very few places on the net with such uniformly excellent attitude, and total lack of pissy hot-headed behaviour.

Cheers :D

It gets especially bad having the jacks out back when I troubleshoot another visiting machine. Not having a spare monitor, and hating my fuzziness-inducing VGA switch, I would have to do the 'way out back reach-around' over and over and over again, to put the monitor back and forth between my computer and the visiting one. Now everything is out front, so ethernet, VGA, sound, phone can come and go with the greatest of ease. I can also see the little connect LED on my ethernet jack now :)

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:55 am

I can't see it. :(

Zhentar
Patron of SPCR

Post by Zhentar » Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:25 pm

the picture doesn't show up for me, and the link says page not found. But I bet my case is better, none at all! :) I've got everything sitting out in the open, really helps keep case temps down :)

crisspy
Friend of SPCR

Post by crisspy » Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:51 pm

Sorry for the long home(page)less period folks. Problem rectified.

And thanks for the positive feedback :lol:

Zhentar
Patron of SPCR

Post by Zhentar » Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:56 pm

wow I've been with this no case thing for a long time.... anyways, sweet set up!

snutten

Post by snutten » Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:20 pm

Now this has got to be the ugliest computer I´ve seen since the infamous vat-of-mineral-oil monster. Kudos to you Crisspy! (and Jim)

frosty

Post by frosty » Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:13 pm

Hehehe, way to ghetto the ultimate, was the milkcrate stolen? Where I live you have to steal them kind!?