Ben's Thermal fan question

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

MikeC
Site Admin

Ben's Thermal fan question

Post by MikeC » Tue Nov 12, 2002 8:00 am

Found posted in the FAQ section. Please help Ben, fellas:

Can a thermally controlled case fan (80mm) be used as a CPU fan ? In my case, I'm looking to cool a P3-800 coppermine (Socket 370) using an SK-7 or SLK-800 from Thermalright and ideally a thermally controlled 80mm fan such as those from Antec (Smart Fan) or Vantec (Stealth Fan). They seem to have enough CFM even at the low range. I know it's not ideal in that the thermostat isn't located in the CPU. Otherwise, Maybe the Arctic Cooling thermally controlled unit would suffice. My Golden Orb is making me deaf ! Thanks, Ben

SungHyun7

Post by SungHyun7 » Tue Nov 12, 2002 8:48 am

I'm using Zalman CNPS6000-CU currently with my 1ghz FC-PGA2 CPU. It should have more heat dissipation than yours.

just as comparison, CNPS6000-CU has 2600-2900cm^2 of surface area.

I can't find the surface area of Slk-800, maybe you can figure it out for us.

and I'm using Zalman's 92mm fan rotating at 1600rpm (I can't find the CFM spec of this fan at this rpm range, but this should give you a very rough idea where you should be). That cools my 1ghz P3 CPU down to about 30-40*C idle, and 48-51*C (loaded).

Zalman solution may work. I've cancelled my SLK-800 order, so I can't tell you how that may work with other thermo fans. But I think you can get away with SLk-800 with panaflo L1A @ 5v. of course I won't be responsible for my suggestions :roll:

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:33 am

Maybe the Arctic Cooling thermally controlled unit would suffice
With the P3-800, very likely. Especially if you undervolt even by 0.1V

SungHyun7

Post by SungHyun7 » Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:18 am

i don't know how much do those thermo controlled fans move, but my guess will be more than panaflo @ 5v. i'm getting the panaflo L1a fans soon, and getting the 12v/5v voltage adapter from the zalman psu (it comes with it right?) so i can tell you for sure whether that setup would work.

i think the best bet is to install mbm5 and monitor the cpu temp for a few hours with his desired set up. that's what i do. plus i think it looks pretty cool too. :roll:

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:49 am

much do those thermo controlled fans move
It variable, naturally, depending on how hot the HS gets; on the Arctic Cooler HSF, it varies from ~10 cfm to 26 cfm. The main issue with the AC HSF is whether it will fit on a P3 mobo. It is not small, you might want to check available dimensions.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Tue Nov 12, 2002 2:34 pm

You could also make your own thermally controlled Panaflo. Simply attach one the units described here http://www.heatsink-guide.com/antinoise.htm to the fan on your heatsink, and wedge the thermosistor in between 2 of the fins.

That's exactly what I've got on my system, and it works great.

quokked

Re: Ben's Thermal fan question

Post by quokked » Tue Nov 12, 2002 4:11 pm

MikeC wrote:Found posted in the FAQ section. Please help Ben, fellas:

Can a thermally controlled case fan (80mm) be used as a CPU fan ? In my case, I'm looking to cool a P3-800 coppermine (Socket 370) using an SK-7 or SLK-800 from Thermalright and ideally a thermally controlled 80mm fan such as those from Antec (Smart Fan) or Vantec (Stealth Fan). I know it's not ideal in that the thermostat isn't located in the CPU. Otherwise, Maybe the Arctic Cooling thermally controlled unit would suffice
ummmm depends on the fan.... some of the thermally controlled fans have the thermistors mounted DIRECTLY the fan hub with a little thermistor sticking out like the Vantec ThermalFlow and the Nidec Beta V....
- This would mean that the fan will spin up and slow down in accordance with the intake air and not the temperatures that the actual heatsink would be experiencing (in your case the GORB) so that the paw GORB would be cooking away and all those fans would be seeing is nice and cool intake air. You could modify these though with some wires and a steady soldering hand but I've botched these mod b4 :oops:

- Look for the thermally controlled fans that have the thermistor stuck out on a wire so that you can stick it into a hot spot of the base of your HSF unit... this would mean that the fan would spin up and slow down according to the temperatures of the sink and not of the intake air :)

crisspy
Friend of SPCR

Post by crisspy » Thu Nov 14, 2002 4:58 am

I think yes, no problem. For a P3-800 it looks like your plans of an SK-7 or SLK-800 are way overkill.

I run an XP1600 at normal settings, over 60 watts. I use an 80mm Thermaltake A1214 'Smart Case Fan', 80->60 ducted onto a really lame Arqua 6129 cooler (like 6128 but no copper core). The thermistor hangs in ambient air, but the fan does speed up as CPU heats up the case, from idle of 2900rpm to about 3200rpm (MBM5). Temps are always very low, but this fan is way overkill - loud & fast. Should be undervolted.