Anyone tried out Coolermaster HHC-L61?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

crisspy
Friend of SPCR

Anyone tried out Coolermaster HHC-L61?

Post by crisspy » Mon Nov 11, 2002 11:03 pm

Looks interesting, and is spec'ed for 14.13cfm, which is an unusual and welcome low design target. Might be a prime target for 80mm->60mm ducting a Panaflo. The newest P4 version in the Coolermaster lineup is getting some top ranks, seems like the idea might have some merit.

Is it in the review lineup Mike?

Coolermaster: Low Noise Series HHC-L61 <- Cooolermaster's site
ReviewMakers review <- review of HHC-L61
Overclockers.com Rankings Page <- P4 Air Cooling - Cooler Master IHC-H71: C/W=0.16

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Nov 12, 2002 7:37 am

I'm dubious about all heatpipe HSF that don't move the heat some distance away from the source. So often driven by marketing gobbledy-gook. This one is not on the review list, but the reviews suggest some promise, I have to admit.

It is not on my list. Here's the quickest way to get it (or any product) on SPCR's review roster:

Contact the manufacturer or seller and ask them to contact me to submit samples of the item for review. Tell them SPCR covers only quiet products and draws all the quiet-focused PC hardware buyers, and that you're one of them. Mention our traffic: 1.6 million pageviews & 150,000 unique IPs in Oct.

That is the best way to get a product you're interested in on my review list. It would also help me a lot. :wink:
Last edited by MikeC on Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

crisspy
Friend of SPCR

Post by crisspy » Tue Nov 12, 2002 8:57 am

Done. Hope they can hear us over those fans. I mentioned the IHC-H71 too, since it hit 1'st place at Overclockers.com on the P4's. Have you got any manufacturer feedback/flack about your nasty testing methods / low airflow punishment? I wonder if looking at your methods makes a manufacturer anxious to send you samples.
To Coolermaster, our ears-a-bleeding Crisspy wrote: to: [email protected]
subject: SilentPCReview - should review the HHC-L61

Regarding the HHC-L61 quiet heat pipe cooler:

Hello,

I am a professional PC user. I spend many hours each day working on computers. Quiet computers are extremely important to me. High performance / low airflow CPU coolers are the single most important part of achieving a quiet PC. I am gald to see you offer the HHC-L61 as a high performance quiet cooler solution. Very few manufacturers have made any effort to offer quiet coolers. The HHC-L61 is a very interesting and innovative product for its use of heat pipes to allow the use of a quiet/low airflow fan.

Myself and many others rely on the SilentPCReview website for produduct reviews concerning true quiet computing performance. They are the only web site dedicated exclusively to quiet computing reviews and current technology. They received 1.6 million pageviews and 150,000 unique IPs this October alone. This shows how important quiet computers are to many people.

I have noticed that SilentPCReview have not reviewed the HHC-L61, even though it is marketed specifically as a quiet product. I think you should send a sample to them and see if they would review it. That would be the best way to reach your target market for this product. You should also send them an IHC-H71, which shows fantastic promise as a top performing P4 cooler that could be operated in a very quiet configuration.

Their website is http://www.silentpcreview.com/
Contact them at [email protected]

Thank you for your excellent work towards quite computers.

Best regards, Criss

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:22 am

Nice letter. Let's see if we hear from them.
manufacturer feedback/flack
None so far, and no reluctance I can attribute to our testing methods. Well, except for Vantec, of course. I doubt they'll want to send me any samples -- for a while, anyway. My main issue with them was the way they marketed the thing -- the PSU is 180 degrees from its name.

Bottom line: if they think they can get a good review, they'll send it in. Main issue seems to be whether we have enough of an audience to count. In the beginning, it was an issue. Now, no problem.

Monkey In Training

Post by Monkey In Training » Tue Nov 12, 2002 12:39 pm

"You should also send them an IHC-H71, which shows fantastic promise as a top performing P4 cooler that could be operated in a very quiet configuration. "

I thought you want the quiet version?! You could request the IHC-L71 (low speed fan).

crisspy
Friend of SPCR

Post by crisspy » Tue Nov 12, 2002 2:54 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops: Didn't do my homework. You're quite right.

hvengel

Post by hvengel » Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:50 pm

I am running one of these. With room temps around 21C I see idle temps around 49C and max load temps around 68C. I have started running CPUIdle and this dropped my idle temps to around 38C. I have a well cooled case with MB temps around 4C above room temps. The heat pipes feel very warm when there is a load on the CPU and it is very appairent that the heat pipes are moving a lot of heat up to the top of the cooling fins. It is also very quiet.

I have also experimented with using an 80mm adapter but was not happy with the results. The adapter I tried was the one that Plycon sells. This has guide vains that I now think are setup for a clock wise fan. I was using the 26.5CFM Papst which is a counter clock wise fan. The CPU was about 4C hotter with this setup than the original fan. So it was very appairent that this was moving a lot less air through the HS than the stock fan and it felt like the adapter was chocking of the flow from the Papst. I plan to try another adapter to see if that helps.

crisspy
Friend of SPCR

Post by crisspy » Tue Nov 19, 2002 12:07 am

Thanks for the feedback hvengel :)

What are the specs on your system? CPU, Mhz, Vcore, cooling arrangements, etc. And where is the temp read, socket or CPU diode? The 68C sounds a little on the hot side if you're reading socket temps, which can be quite a bit lower than true core temps.

hvengel

Post by hvengel » Tue Nov 19, 2002 1:09 pm

XP 1800 stock speed and vcore (1.54 GHz, 1.75V)
2 120mm under volted fans 1 intake 1 exhaust.

Case temps are very low - about 4C above room temps. The reading is from the CPU diode. So the temps are warm but OK for such a low noise cooler.

Under normal conditions I almost never see temp go more than 6C or 7C above idle. Somtimes when I push the system running automated scripts in Photoshop I have seen temps arround 55C for a few seconds. The 68C number is after running CPUBurn for a prolonged period (> 30 min.).

crisspy
Friend of SPCR

Post by crisspy » Tue Nov 19, 2002 9:37 pm

Thanks for the feedback hvengel. Looks like your temps are a little on the high side, but not too bad. I am getting this sneaking suspicion that because heatpipes are phase change devices, they have a non-linear thermal resistance. I think they have a higher basic threshold temp, but then can handle much more heat without a linear temp rise. The reviews show some pretty hot situations still being adequately cooled with the HHC-001, so it makes me wonder if you could actually jack the CPU up some without a dramatic temp rise from your present situation. Might be worth a shot.

I also have this funny suspicion that narrow/high-fin-count heatsinks might suffer from back pressure problems. Even the SLK-800 hit the wall with low airflow, when the AX7 (much more open fins) kept going. Different fans have better or worse backpressure capability, and unfortunately the quieter/slower ones are the worst hit. I hope this doesn't come too much into play for you.