Change Fluid -- How Often? -- Zalman Reserator One Plus

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DJCoryMinto

Change Fluid -- How Often? -- Zalman Reserator One Plus

Post by DJCoryMinto » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:08 pm

I have a Zalman Reserator One Plus, and I've had this hooked up for roughly 10 months. If it makes a difference, the PC was not used for 2 whole months during this time.

How often should the fluid be changed? I used the stock coolant mixed with distilled water, as the directions indicated. Also, how exactly is it changed? Just disconnect the tubing from the reservoir and dump it? Do I have to drain the tubing? If so, do I rinse out the tubing and reservoir with distilled water to "flush out" the old fluid?

Also, should I just get the standard Zalman coolant? Anyone recommend a better one?

Thanks much, people.

Marci

Post by Marci » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:43 am

Acc to zalman's site, "Effective Duration: 1 year", so change every 12 months.

Open reservoir, empty it by tipping it up and pouring all coolant out. Move it lower than PC and coolant still in pipes etc should drain down into reservoir. Same again. Emptying a watersystem is about as complicated as emptying a cup of water. Find an opening, tip it up. Gravity does the rest.

Flush thoroughly with distilled water, then refill with a fresh batch. There is no "best" or "better". There's ppl opinions, which are generally worthless when it comes to additives as no-one has done any conclusive testing on them. Use whichever floats yer boat. If you want to retain any warranty, use the Zalman one. Otherwise, use any of the others that are out there.

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:44 am

What he said. But regarding additives, I would definitely use a corrosion inhibitor in a system with that much aluminum. Better safe than sorry.

DJCoryMinto

Post by DJCoryMinto » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:24 am

Marci wrote:Flush thoroughly with distilled water, then refill with a fresh batch.
Forgive my apparent stupidity, but how exactly does one flush the system? I understand how to drain it as per your instructions, but how do I force the distilled water to flush out the system? It would seem to me that I can't just simply run the Reserator and allow the distilled water to permeate - this could be harmful without the coolant in there, I would think. Hmmm.... :shock:

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:37 am

DJCoryMinto, Hi...

First, the water (Distilled or not) is the coolant, so no need to worry there.

To flush it just run it up for 5, 10 mins... or whatever you feel is a suitable amount of time. Then drain and refill with fresh water and corrosive inhibitor and perhaps water wetter of your choice if that's your thing. 8)

Pete

Marci

Post by Marci » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:22 am

How do you rinse a mug or bucket? Fill with water, shake about, empty, repeat... s'no different for a watercooling system effectively - especially the reserator. Distilled water won't do any harm at all as long as immediately afterwards you fill it.

DJCoryMinto

Post by DJCoryMinto » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:03 am

Thanks a bunch guys... Every question answered! 8)

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:59 pm

I never flush my system. I duno. seems like a step you dont need if your liquid is clear and no buildup of anything can be seen.

I use water wetter by Redline. Dont believe anything bad about this product. It is perfection for your zalman system. 2+ years with it in there mixed with poland spring steam distilled water. I use about 5% water wetter. More to taste I guess. It allows me to know that I have around 95% pure water in the system. Water is the best coolant and the more you have the better it works. My pump is silent running almost continuously for 2+ years. the water wetter has nice lubricating properties to it. it smells like ass. i plugged up the blow hole after the system got up to temperature with Wriggleys spearmint gum. That stopped the smell.

DJCoryMinto

Post by DJCoryMinto » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:43 pm

Thanks Jefe for the interesting reply.

Quick follow-up question, as I can not obtain this info at the Zalman website.... Does the ZM-G100 coolant have a shelf-life? I ordered and received more coolant a week ago, and just now discovered that I had bought an extra container of it last year! So does it matter which container I use? Does it have a shelf-life?

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:38 pm

I would say that you couldnt harm zalman's blue stuff with sitting on a shelf. it is very simple stuff. If you have it, there is no question that you should use it though over my water wetter + Poland spring steam distilled water concoction.

This sounds odd but.... being that I know what water wetter is for, you could like... put a couple of ounces in your zalman blue setup. WW is meant as a radiator coolant additive. it destroys any sort of surface tension, lubricate, and further inhibit corrosion. Probably overkill, but so it water cooling a computer :)

I am too clumsy to use zalman's blue stuff. If I spilled it, that would cost me cash + downtime. 1 thing of WW lasts me about 2 1/2 years.

DJCoryMinto

Post by DJCoryMinto » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:23 pm

@Jefe
So you add the Water Wetter to the steam-distilled water AND the Zalman coolant, or just add it to the distilled water and NOT use the Zalman coolant? I'm interested in getting some of this stuff, but I don't understand if I use it in addition to the coolant or in replacement of the coolant.

msreyes

Happy?

Post by msreyes » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:40 am

Are people happy with this unit (overall)?

DJCoryMinto

Post by DJCoryMinto » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:52 pm

I'd say that the overall consensus is very positive. Here at SPCR, though, are very meticulous, particular computer users, all of whose demands are very very high. This is a great site to witness the exploitation of a product's weaknesses and flaws.

I am not quite as meticulous as some other members here. With that being said, I am incredibly pleased with my Reserator One Plus. The reason why i bought it was, of course, to silence my PC. The Reserator One Plus is so quiet, that, while it probably does actually make some noise, my hard drives' inherent noises and power supply noises, both of which are already pretty damned quiet to begin with, indeed become the forefront of any noise emitting from my PC area.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:11 pm

yeah, the reserator series is the best silent cooling answer possible. Even if you manage to kill a pump, the pumps are built by Eheim, the best brand for them, and can be easily swapped out for an eternity of cooling.

I might do something freaky and get a 2nd tower for my gfx card when i buy my r600. I have to check with zalman if the new res2 radiator style is sufficient to cool the new r600 vid card from ati (the 65nm process version, NOT the 80nm)

they are really nice as far as customer assistance.

On the topic of coolant additive: Yes, I use only steam distilled from the supermarket (normally poland spring, seems to work fine) and a good pour of water wetter from Redline.

Yes, as well I recommend adding a couple of ounces of water wetter to your zalman blue liquid+ steam distilled water. WWetter can be used without other coolants like I have it, but it also enhances cooling systems in less quantities as an additive. So... why not is what I say.

my system is now going past the 2 year marker almost never turned off and its dead silent. I know for a fact that either its a miracle, cherry picked luck of the draw pump or the WW is actually doing what it is supposed to: completely prevent corrosion and giving a good lubrication. It also breaks the surface tension so the pump has a lil less resistance I am guessing. shrugs :)