965 chipset doesn't support ATI crossfire dual-vga

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

chuckles98

965 chipset doesn't support ATI crossfire dual-vga

Post by chuckles98 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:23 am

Hello, I am quite new to computing, I am building a desktop for myself and read the above quote in a computer magazine. I wish to use a modern graphics card like the radeon X1950PRO and to have two LCD monitors. Can I plug my two LCD monitor to the back of these kinds of graphics cards? I plan on getting an P5B Deluxe mobo..

Sorry this is not silence related, but I am perusing this site a lot as I wish to build a quiet PC.

chuckles98

Post by chuckles98 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:38 am

if it is possible can someone please explain what the quote is talking about?

angelkiller

Post by angelkiller » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:42 am

Ok I don't know what you are spicifically asking. I'll explain Crossfire, Dual Moniters, and chipsets.

Ok, You want to get a X1950pro. It's a great midrange graphics card for gaming. The card has two DVI connectors on it. So you could plug in two LCD's into the card. Crossfire is using two ATI graphics cards to render graphics together. (Two cards are better than one) So you need two identical ATI cards and a motherboard that supports it. ATi's Xpress 3200, an Intel's 975x both support Crossfire. According to this AnandTech article the Asus P5B Deluxe supports Crossfire.

You are not looking for Crossfire (I think). If you want a dual monitor setup, You can simply plug the two LCD's into the X1950pro. If you're still confused just ask any questions you still have.

chuckles98

Post by chuckles98 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:46 am

angelkiller wrote:Ok I don't know what you are spicifically asking. I'll explain Crossfire, Dual Moniters, and chipsets.

Ok, You want to get a X1950pro. It's a great midrange graphics card for gaming. The card has two DVI connectors on it. So you could plug in two LCD's into the card. Crossfire is using two ATI graphics cards to render graphics together. (Two cards are better than one) So you need two identical ATI cards and a motherboard that supports it. ATi's Xpress 3200, an Intel's 975x both support Crossfire. According to this AnandTech article the Asus P5B Deluxe supports Crossfire.

You are not looking for Crossfire (I think). If you want a dual monitor setup, You can simply plug the two LCD's into the X1950pro. If you're still confused just ask any questions you still have.
thanks for your reply. I am thinking of upgrading to a second x1950Pro in the future, which will mean I will be using crossfire on the p5b Deluxe (I think it is supported but the magazine quote in my subject heading confused me).

So with two graphics cards does that mean you could have 4 LCD screens going (2 LCDs per card)? Not that I'm seriously thinking about that..

continuum
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by continuum » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:55 am

Yes, you could drive four LCDs with two graphics cards (that each individually have two outputs). However, you will simply have two graphics cards installed-- you will not be activating Crossfire mode in this situation.

angelkiller

Post by angelkiller » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:22 am

continuum wrote:Yes, you could drive four LCDs with two graphics cards (that each individually have two outputs). However, you will simply have two graphics cards installed-- you will not be activating Crossfire mode in this situation.
I agree. You can power four moniters, but you must disable Crossfire.