a list of fanless psu

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

stingpd

a list of fanless psu

Post by stingpd » Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:06 pm

a list of fanless power supply

tkpower
rsg-electonic

has anybody a review/more information about this one?
http://www.deltatronic.info/Technik/Net ... zteil.html

other addresses? thanks

hwtf

Post by hwtf » Fri Nov 15, 2002 9:49 pm

unfortunately, you cant find those anywhere besides europe. i sure as hell would like to get my hands on the last one you posted...

shunx

Post by shunx » Sat Nov 16, 2002 12:20 am

this guy has a custom fanless PSU:
http://www.geocities.jp/numano3/powerhe.html

hwtf

Post by hwtf » Mon Nov 18, 2002 5:51 pm

http://www.siliconacoustics.com/enap.html

the englekings have a fan but its turned off unless the psu gets to 45 celcius. im eagarly waiting for SA to get them in stock. tom's hardware recently did a review and said it was good for the most part

stingpd

Post by stingpd » Tue Nov 19, 2002 12:21 am

45 celsius, is the temperature reached when the psu is at 75watt (not sure)

there are better ones

catsfeet

Post by catsfeet » Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:43 am

stingpd:

Regarding the Deltatronic silent PSU...

There is some reference to this on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Silent-PC/message/8050 where they claim it costs about EUR$300 ... Oopse... I see you are active over there too. Maybe you started the thread?

Unfortunately, the thing looks like it is rigged for European power.

The Bablefish translation of the page:

Strong exhaustless ATX Spezialnetzteil with large power reserves active PFC high efficiency high maximum stress particularly high maximum stream outstanding tension Konstanz large power reserves for Natural luftzirkulation supports extensions of all kinds high breakdown immunity design thermally secured, overload-proof, overvoltage-secured 360 the Watt power pack Silentium! SPS360A is an absolutely loudless and nevertheless very high performance power pack, which provides also with highest load peaks for outstanding tension Konstanz. Thus your computer is in the best possible way approximately crashes protected by instability of the current supply.

Hehe, the words "absolutely loudless" stand out.

Well, I am in your camp, stingpd. There ought to be a cheaper way to power a Silent PC. Still, the best retail deal I know of is the TK Power 300 from Orion http://www.orion-industries.com which costs $144 + shipping. Have one glued to the roof of an aluminum case at home right now, and it works well. I have heard tell that the TK 230's are only $54 in lots of 50+ directly from TK. The 170 watt model would do it for me, but I can not find ANYONE selling these. Anyone here want to split a batch? Perhaps the market is small, but I would love to test the waters and build a dozen or so chassis-heat-grounded PSU cases for fanless PC's.

It is easier to find 12v AC-DC converters with heavy aluminum open frame housings. Perhaps these, in combination with a DC-DC ATX PSU would do the trick. http://www.opussolutions.com

It seems the people who know are not talking or else we fanless PC enthusiasts are a REALLY tiny group.

bluehat

Post by bluehat » Fri Nov 22, 2002 8:37 am

Here's my solution for a passive PSU without any kind of noisy case fans. It's a cheapest possible 300W ATX PSU with a heatsink connected to PSU's small heatsinks by arctic silver adhesive. The hot transistors in this PSU are max 40C and other components about 30 C.

stingpd

Post by stingpd » Sat Nov 23, 2002 1:49 am

I think that anyway would be a good idea to use for example a fan that starts to work at a certain temperature, which fan, and where should the temperature sensor be?

to bluehat: currently how many watts does your system use?

Steerpike

Post by Steerpike » Sat Nov 23, 2002 9:23 pm

I have the DigitalDoc 5, which monitors 8 temperatures and controls 8 fans. You can set each individual temp threshhold. Would be great for an app like this. I think it cost about $50 or so. (CompUSA were selling an individual fan controller with a temp setting - ~$22. If they sell it, must be cheaper elsewhere!).

Regarding cooling the PSU with a heatsink ... is it safe to assume that the current heatsinks are not 'live' in a PSU? I know the capacitors are potentially 'hot' for some time after power down; I was thinking that maybe the heatsinks were live when the device was in use? If that's definitely not the case, then opening up the case and applying a big old heatsink seems like the obvious thing to do. I currently have a 'voltage controlled' fan in my PSU (using Zalman fan controller, variable control of fan speed). I could hook a temp sensor from the PSU to the digidoc, and control a fan with it instead.

So what parts are truly 'live' in a PSU when 'on' - anything you can 'touch' with the lid off?

gommer

Post by gommer » Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:59 am

cschofie wrote:Regarding cooling the PSU with a heatsink ... is it safe to assume that the current heatsinks are not 'live' in a PSU? I know the capacitors are potentially 'hot' for some time after power down; I was thinking that maybe the heatsinks were live when the device was in use? If that's definitely not the case, then opening up the case and applying a big old heatsink seems like the obvious thing to do. I currently have a 'voltage controlled' fan in my PSU (using Zalman fan controller, variable control of fan speed). I could hook a temp sensor from the PSU to the digidoc, and control a fan with it instead.

So what parts are truly 'live' in a PSU when 'on' - anything you can 'touch' with the lid off?
Measure, measure and measure and, just to be sure, measure.
No straight answers here, some heatsinks are indeed 'live' others aren't.
And 'live' can be up to 300 V DC! Be carefull...

But whatever is the case, you can always (electrically) isolate. In that case, don't forget to isolate the screws attaching the power devices to the heatsink, they can conduct too.

quokked

Post by quokked » Wed Nov 27, 2002 3:28 am

gommer wrote: Measure, measure and measure and, just to be sure, measure.
No straight answers here, some heatsinks are indeed 'live' others aren't.
And 'live' can be up to 300 V DC! Be carefull...

But whatever is the case, you can always (electrically) isolate. In that case, don't forget to isolate the screws attaching the power devices to the heatsink, they can conduct too.
yeah I had a experience with that 2day :roll: , I zapped myself because one of the screws were touching the case and I was trying to get a PSU going so I had the PSU in a awkward position :)

Stephen7372

Post by Stephen7372 » Fri Nov 29, 2002 6:48 am

Deltronic's systems make s 20dB of noise I asked a bit louder than a swedish one I found which is 17.5 dB