Has anyone had experience with Mouser Electronics?

Got a hot deal to share, info about a vendor, gear to sell, or a question about where to buy?

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

What's your opinion of Mouser Electronics?

Poll ended at Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:47 pm

Good
88%
Bad
No votes
Indifferent
13%

Total votes: 8

fri2219

Has anyone had experience with Mouser Electronics?

Post by fri2219 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:47 pm

Good, bad, or indifferent?

They seem to have a large selection of parts, but I haven't seen them mentioned here or at least, they didn't turn up in the search. I've googled for opinions in the past, but with the amount of shilling that goes on with online rating services these days, I'm not sure if I can trust those sorts of reviews.

http://www.mouser.com/

jfeldt

good

Post by jfeldt » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:53 pm

We use them at work all the time and have no problems. They are one of the major players in electronics components (along with Digi-Key, etc.), not some fly by night operation if that is what you are wondering. I have been happy with the few personal orders I have placed (last one was probably in 1993 or so).

eitheta
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by eitheta » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:11 pm

Mouser used to be (a decade or two ago) thought of as mainly a shop for hobbyists. As in DIP SSI/MSI chips, leaded components, and DIY PCB etching supplies, etc etc. Recently, they seem to have aimed more squarely at DigiKey, supplying parts for small-run production of commercial/industrial electronics. They have a good inventory of SMD passives, though nowhere near DigiKey's selection of semiconductors, connectors and such. The company I'm currently working for buys from Mouser frequently, with no problems. Other similar companies are Allied (alliedelec.com) and Newark. B.G. Micro (bgmicro.com) serves mainly DIY/hobbyist market. You can order without worries from any of the above. For certain radio-oriented and hobbyist/DIY stuff, there's Ocean State (oselectronics.com). I've heard some unflattering tales about Ocean State lately, but they carry some older RF stuff that just doesn't exist elsewhere.

matt_garman
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by matt_garman » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:18 pm

I haven't ordered from them in a few years, but I used to be somewhat into guitar amp modification and speaker cabinet building. I bought a handful of components from them, such as capacitors, resistors, speaker plugs, switches, etc. No problems.

Not a whole lot of experience with them, but based on my past experience, I'd definitely order from them again.

Matt

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:22 am

I've been ordering from Mouser off-and-on for years and have had nothing but great experiences from them. They ship fast and pack great.

Oh, and they've got a cool 25 pound catalog that provides hours of entertainment for DIY/electro-geeks.

fri2219

Thanks for the responses

Post by fri2219 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:52 am

Placed an order with them, they were prompt, efficient, and my order even arrived on time. :)

jamesavery22

Post by jamesavery22 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:13 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:I've been ordering from Mouser off-and-on for years and have had nothing but great experiences from them. They ship fast and pack great.

Oh, and they've got a cool 25 pound catalog that provides hours of entertainment for DIY/electro-geeks.
Ditto. lol I love getting that catalog in the mail. Its a good blunt object. If anything they go overboard on packaging. Got a single IC in 3lbs of packaging :shock:

Beyonder

Post by Beyonder » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:50 pm

I ordered parts for a tube amp, and they delivered. Gets my thumbs up.