SilverStone NT01 v2.0 Passive/Active CPU Cooler

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jd777

Post by jd777 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:36 am

Bicster,

Did you slice out a chunk of the lid then??

I've just upgraded my HTPC (Accent HT201) to a fanless MSI 7950GT which is also too high for the case, plus the cooling in that case is inadequate so I'm probably gonna plunge for a Fusion.

I won't have so much to chop out, but your case must look like a dragster/hot rod now! Post some pics!

Tempted to an NT01 v2 also, gotta check if my Abit IP-95 will be accommodating...

obvious

Post by obvious » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:01 am

I wonder if the NT01 V2.0 would line up just as well using the i90HD motherboard. Hmm.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:38 am

Bicster wrote:I think this speaks for itself:

I reduced the CPU intake fan speed with a Zalman fan mate.

The above snapshot was taken while running 2 x CpuBurn and playing a 1080p WMVHD video...
I looked for this Intel utuility and can't find it.
Where did you get it? Interesting.

Follow up - May have found it, maybe not. :?:

Thanks

derekva

Post by derekva » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:03 pm

Hey, Bicster - any idea if the NT-01 could be modified orientation-wise (perhaps with two new metal mounting 'wings')? The 'wings' appear to be removable - the reason I'm asking is I'm changing out the system in my NSK2400 for an i945GTm-VHL based-system and the orientation is 90 degress off from what it would be in order to have an NT01 in front of the fans. I really need an offset CPU cooler in this case / setup due to the video card I plan on using (an HIS 2600PRO passive) so I can use HDMI for HDTV & HD-DVD playback. I need this particular video card so I can use an ATI hybrid tuner card in the PCIe x1 slot, BTW.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

-D

eitheta
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by eitheta » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:06 pm

derekva wrote:any idea if the NT-01 could be modified orientation-wise
The 'wings' appear to be removable

Yes, they are. It comes with a set of 'wings' for LGA775, and another set for AMD. But the wings can only mount on the ends, not the sides (i.e. you can't move the wings to the 90-degrees adjacent edges). For LGA775, the mounting holes form a perfect square, so this doesn't matter - you just rotate the whole cooler assembly, wings and all. It mounts in any of the four orientations.
derekva wrote:an i945GTm-VHL based-system
Um, I may well be wrong, but I thought the mounting hole/screw spacing pattern for those AOpen MoDT mobos was completely non-standard (i.e. I think that only the included AOpen cooler will fit the mounting holes). So you'd need to fabricate custom wings for the NT01 in this application. If I recall correctly, each wing mounts to the copper cooler-base with two short and smallish (M3 or M4, I think) countersink phillips-head machine screws. The wings are basically just flat sheet steel (2mm or less thickness) with holes drilled in (some countersunk). It wouldn't be hard to fab replacement mounting 'wings', for whatever hole spacing you want. But you'd also need to figure out a way of accounting for the z-height of the cpu top-surface, which is unlikely to be identical to that of any of the standard CPU form factors. You could use the preloaded-spring mounting screws that Silverstone includes for use on AMD, to solve that, I think.

If I were going to re-build my NSK2400 (built Sept 2006) now, I'd use the mini-Ninja, rather than the NT01. I strongly suspect it would provide better cooling. But perhaps on a i945GTm-VHL, the mini-Ninja would conflict with your add-in cards, so the NT01 might be your best option.

eitheta
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by eitheta » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:12 pm

eitheta wrote:a set of 'wings' for LGA775, and another set for AMD.

Ooops. I think maybe set #1 is for both 775 & athlon, and the 2nd set is for 478. But my understanding is still that the AOpen MoDT cooler mounting will not match any of these.

derekva

Post by derekva » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:49 pm

The AOpen mATX MoDT boards use a standard S478 mounting system and bolt-holes. However, since those holes are rectangular rather than square in shape, you can't just rotate stuff 90 degrees.

However, I was able to pick up an NT01 on eBay for $25 so I'll see what I can whip up out of bar stock...

-D