VMware Server & Linux 64bit SMP Folding@Home

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

NeilBlanchard

VMware Server & Linux 64bit SMP Folding@Home

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:06 am

Greetings,

I have the VMware Server installed and running, and I have 64bit Ubuntu 6.10 installed in that environment and running.

My question is: VMware is only using 1 core, and the option for using 2 is "grayed out". Is this because I had the error when installing it about not installing or properly configuring Microsoft Internet Information Services? If so, how do I correct this?

Also, I cannot get my firewall, Kerio, to allow Ubuntu/VMware to get to the Internet. Does anybody have any hints to get this working?

The other trick to getting the 64bit Folding@Home SMP client to work, is you have to install the 32bit libraries -- because while the F@H core is 64bit, the "manager" program is 32bit. To do this, you have to enable the "Universe" option in the Software Sources, and then in a terminal type:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
...and then you can run the SMP client with the instructions from Stanford:
http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegrou ... linux.html

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:35 am

The other trick to getting the 64bit Folding@Home SMP client to work, is you have to install the 32bit libraries -- because while the F@H core is 64bit, the "manager" program is 32bit. To do this, you have to enable the "Universe" option in the Software Sources, and then in a terminal type:

Code:
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
Does this apply to a pure Ubuntu installation also (ie no VMWare)? thanks

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:49 am

Hello,

Yes, it does.

I found the answer to both of my questions:

You have to enable the 2 processors before starting Ubuntu!

You have to change the default "bridged" network mode to "NAT" and restart Ubuntu (in VMware) to get it onto the Internet.

avi_dan

Post by avi_dan » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:01 am

I didnt get to this post to be of help, but to change any setting in a session, you need to make sure that its not running...

Neil, can you post a comparison of Ubuntu native vs. Ubuntu-VMWare?

Avi

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:32 pm

Hello,

Well, all was going well with Ubuntu 64bit running in VMware Server -- until it crashed! :cry: It had gotten through about 7% in 4.5 hours (or so), and when I restarted it, it gets "stuck" and fails to continue working on that unit. I fear that I will have to delete the work files if I am going to get it working again.

With this very approximate time frame, the VMware/Linux SMP combo is doing ~650PPD, on my machine. I'll try again tomorrow, maybe.

I've rebooted to native Ubuntu 64bit and it is plugging along at ~950PPD, and easily meets the deadline --even if I can't run it more than 16 hours a day! Meanwhile, the Windows SMP client fails to meet the deadline -- and even if it did finish on time, it would only yield ~400-450PPD.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:46 pm

somewhat off-topic, does anyone know how to get CoolnQuiet to work in Ubuntu? Do RMClock/CCPUID work in Linux?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:59 pm

Hello,

I think that Cool 'N Quiet works in Ubuntu -- but if you are going to Fold, then it doesn't really matter, does it? :twisted:

floffe

Post by floffe » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:15 am

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:33 am

if you are going to Fold, then it doesn't really matter, does it?
I would like to run at full clockspeed but undervolt as much as possible, on one of my boards I can do this in BIOS but the other one doesn't have BIOS voltage adjustment. Thanks very much for the link floffe; although I can't see anything about changing voltage?

floffe

Post by floffe » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:30 am

For software undervolting, there are a couple of projects (experimental kernel patches, so you need to compile your own) working on it, but they seem to be furthest along, ie pretty much working, only on Pentium M CPUs. I guess the main draw for this is to extend laptop battery life, so not much work done on desktop processors.

NeilBlanchard

Back on topic...

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:01 pm

Hello,

I have reverted to the Linux SMP client running native in Ubuntu (upgraded to v7.04), as the VMware crashed yesterday. :(

Does anybody know if there is an "official" way to restart a corrupted work unit? Or do I just have to delete it?