Quiet Sony VAIO [Pictures Inside] *UPDATED*

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Chocolinx

Quiet Sony VAIO [Pictures Inside] *UPDATED*

Post by Chocolinx » Tue May 15, 2007 7:06 am

So I took the leap and bought another machine. Plan on using this probably solely for doing mostly text work for school, bills, taxes, whatever work that only uses Office lol or using Firefox to look at my lecture notes. Anyway here's what's in the computer part by part.

Computer Components:
2 - Yate Loon 1350RPM @ 5V
1 - Seasonic SS300-SFD
1 - 1GB Buffulo DDR2
1 - Pioneer DVD SATA Burner
1 - VAIO RS610 Case
1 - WD 250GB AAM
1 - Large Slab of Foam
1 - ASUS M2A-VM
1 - Athlon 64 X2 3800+ EE
1 - Zalman Multi Connector 5V

I think that sums it up. Now for the pictures:
A nice clear view of everything. Notice the HDD sitting on the foam, I didn't have any materials to suspended nor do I know where I could. The foam was the next best thing. The foam itself has a very bumpy surface if you know what I mean, which means most of the vibration is thrown into mid air reducing the seek noise almost as good as suspension. Also both fans are connected to a Zalman Multi-Connector to set them at 5V since the MB doesn't support SpeedFan.

Update Note: Here's a new view of it all again, with the PSU compartment complete, reworked all the wiring so it's a lot cleaner now.
Another view of the HDD. If there's anything wrong with this please tell me.
Here's the sexy part lol. I took off the housing of the SS300 and slapped a 120 Yate Loon on top of it (so it's blowing downwards). The fan right now is currently held together with electric tape.
Here's the back view. As you can tell the fan grill was dremeled out, since the original holes were so small no air would pass thorugh. I'll probably cover up that hole on the top though beside the PSU with bristle board or something.
This part was pretty lucky. The case was designed to hold only a 92MM fan. It so happens I didn't have any, so I just shoved a 120MM fan in he gap there, and it just happen to fit perfectly (well almost). It sits in the spot pretty tightly and doesn't move around or anything. I thought the motor vibration would be a problem but it doesn't seem to be with the fans at 5V, even at 12V it doesn't seem to be much of a problem.
And the final picture. Notice the front has those stickers, P4 Inside, and Windows XP Compatible lol. But don't be fooled haha.
Here's a look at the PSU separater. It's just made with bristleboard and covered with anti-static bag to protect it I guess. If there's anything wrong with this someone please tell me lol.

Notes: The only Front Panel jumpers I connected were the USBs (4 fronts) and Power Button. It's so quiet that I forget the computer is on sometimes.

I'll probably separate the PSU chamber from the rest of the components in the near future, but for now leaving as is.

Temperatures:
MB: 28 - 34C
CPU Core: 47 - 58C

Using stock cooling I guess it's as expected, might chnage the cooling or just removing the 80MM fan and duct it to the 120 instead. Q-Fan is on and the CPU fan hardly ever moves when using Office so it's not noise even when using it.
Last edited by Chocolinx on Fri May 18, 2007 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sylph-DS

Post by Sylph-DS » Tue May 15, 2007 8:19 am

Yeah, I would really get rid of that stock AMD cooler. Although I'd probably try and modify the 120mm exhaust a bit as well, so that it can just but put up with soft rubber fan mounts without touching the case, as well as make the hole bigger so you'd actually get some effect from having a 120mm instead of 92mm ;)

Also, I'd change the PSU setup, as it is now, it's blowing hot air from the top (considering that hot air rises) down into the PSU and after that part of it into the case, and part outward, I can't immagine it being very good for the airflow.

As for the HDD. If you don't have any expansion cards, I suppose it's alright, although I'd watch it's temperatures, it doesn't look like it's getting an aweful lot of airflow.

Still, not a bad rig, I immagine it serves it's purpose :)

Chocolinx

Post by Chocolinx » Tue May 15, 2007 8:48 am

Sylph-DS wrote:Yeah, I would really get rid of that stock AMD cooler. Although I'd probably try and modify the 120mm exhaust a bit as well, so that it can just but put up with soft rubber fan mounts without touching the case, as well as make the hole bigger so you'd actually get some effect from having a 120mm instead of 92mm ;)

Also, I'd change the PSU setup, as it is now, it's blowing hot air from the top (considering that hot air rises) down into the PSU and after that part of it into the case, and part outward, I can't immagine it being very good for the airflow.

As for the HDD. If you don't have any expansion cards, I suppose it's alright, although I'd watch it's temperatures, it doesn't look like it's getting an aweful lot of airflow.

Still, not a bad rig, I immagine it serves it's purpose :)
So far the HDD never exceeds 36C which is really goood, I think. I might consider dremeling out a large hole in the future but that'd require me to take apart the entire rig. So when I have time I'll do that.

As for the top PSU thing, I plan on closing that area off from the rest of the rig very soon. Just didn't have enough time to do so. I'll try running the stock CPU heatsink fanless soon too. But obviously going to duct it to the back fan, might work? Might not. Only a test will tell lol.

Anyway thanks looking and your suggestiongs ^^

Chris Chan

Post by Chris Chan » Tue May 15, 2007 11:14 am

Awesome, a kludged rig right out of the early days of Silent PC's! I'd put an S12 in there; can't imagine that the discombobulated SFD is terribly safe. I like the looks of that case, and nice pics. I'd suspend the HDD, though, in the bottom 5.25 bay, and prop the bay door open for air. That way, it gets more airflow and stays cooler. It also frees up the expansion slots.

Chocolinx

Post by Chocolinx » Tue May 15, 2007 3:18 pm

Chris Chan wrote:Awesome, a kludged rig right out of the early days of Silent PC's! I'd put an S12 in there; can't imagine that the discombobulated SFD is terribly safe. I like the looks of that case, and nice pics. I'd suspend the HDD, though, in the bottom 5.25 bay, and prop the bay door open for air. That way, it gets more airflow and stays cooler. It also frees up the expansion slots.
I considered the possibility of putting a low powered S12 in there, but it wouldn't work. The PSU bracket on the case isn't regular for ATX at all, and a regular sized ATX psu is too long. My only choice ended up being a SS300.

And about that discombobulated PSU housing. I did that so I could fit a 120 MM fan on top of it lol. The 80MM fan it came with was way too noisy. As long as I'm really careful when opening the case I should be fine. And I'll cover up that hold next to the PSU, just in case a screw or a piece of metal decides to fly inside <_<

Chris Chan

Post by Chris Chan » Tue May 15, 2007 3:29 pm

Bah, I should have been more observant. :/ Well, if the discombobulated SS300 works for you, then that's cool. But you still need to fix that it leaks out of the PSU front into the main compartment.

Chocolinx

Post by Chocolinx » Fri May 18, 2007 8:46 am

Chris Chan wrote:Bah, I should have been more observant. :/ Well, if the discombobulated SS300 works for you, then that's cool. But you still need to fix that it leaks out of the PSU front into the main compartment.
All done! 2 New photos added! Wiring is a lot cleaner now too.