Difficulty with a core duo notebook and mobility X1600

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

KansaKilla
Friend of SPCR

Difficulty with a core duo notebook and mobility X1600

Post by KansaKilla » Wed May 23, 2007 6:12 pm

I've got a W3J, and I currently have two issues:

1) I can't seem to start a second instance of F@H. I've looked at the FAQs on the F@H website, but I can't get a second command line interface of F@H to work.

2) I want to fold with the GPU client if possible, but the current drivers are not supported (came with the machine). I tried to install the latest catalyst drivers for the notebook (it's got a mobility radeon x1600) but it won't install at all. I get an error that says something about the right hardware not being detected or some such. Anybody know how to get GPU version to work on either this notebook or a similar notebook?

Any help would be appreciated.

avi_dan

Post by avi_dan » Wed May 23, 2007 10:41 pm

Dont try to run two command line instances, run one SMP instance; its a lot more productive.

I am not an expert but I am pretty sure that the mobile versions of the ATI graphics chipsets are not supported. You should read the GPU folding FAQ.

you can find it here: http://folding.stanford.edu/FAQ-ATI.html

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Thu May 24, 2007 10:57 am

Nobody should be gpu folding with anything less than an X1650nn.

Onboard graphics will never get the job done.

KansaKilla
Friend of SPCR

Post by KansaKilla » Thu May 24, 2007 12:52 pm

Thanks, avi_dan. I looked at that site initially, but it never definitively addressed whether or not the mobility radeon is supported or not. I guess I'll look into the SMP version here soon.

aristide1, I will be looking into getting a "big boy" graphics card for folding for my desktop once I finish moving and have a few paychecks under my belt. (And hoping the boss will let me bring one home.)

Thanks, y'all.
--KK