Help with my p182se - silent overclocking

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

jenkins

Help with my p182se - silent overclocking

Post by jenkins » Thu May 24, 2007 1:04 pm

Alright, so I just picked up the SE, and I'm looking for some advice on cooling. Here's what I'm trying not to fry:

eVga 680i SLI
e6600
2gb ballistix ddr2 1066
8800gts (640mb)
250gb WD (x2)
500gb WD
X-fi Xtrememusic
Corsair 520hx

I've gone ahead and picked up a Thermalright Ultra 120, and a Thermaltake Thunderblade which I plan on mounting to it. Beyond that, I've got all the antec 120's that came with the case. I also have 2 Scythe S-flex 120's with 49cfm.

Here's my thinking, let me know what you think. I intend to mount the Thunderblade on the right side of the Thermaright ultra, pointing towards the heatsink to pull in air, and shoot it through the heatsink, directly into one of the antec tri-cool exhausts. I am going to place my hard drives in the lower bay, and use the Tri-cool that is already there. The upper hard drive bay will be mounted with both Scythe 120's to cool the 8800gts, as well as pull in fresh air from the front of the case. I have not yet decided what to do about the top 120 vent. I've heard it causes some problems with heating if left alone.

I intend to overclock the ram and the chip - i'm leaving the video alone.

Let me know what you think. All comments are welcome, as I am new to this case, and new to OC'ing. Thanks again,

-jenkins

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Thu May 24, 2007 3:11 pm

First, Thermaltake Thunderblade has 2000 RPM top speed, that's 1000 more than you would ever need with thermalright heatsink. Second, it's made of clear plastic which is known for vibrations. Get another CPU fan, preferably Nexus. Other than that it's all subjective. I don't know why you would need another 120mm fan to cool GTS, I wouldn't do it, but well, it's your rig.

angelkiller

Post by angelkiller » Thu May 24, 2007 3:23 pm

OK,

What's the purpose of 2 250GB drives and then one 500GB one? :?

Do you have the Ultra 120 or the Extreme versoin? (Just curious)

When you OC, use a 1:2 FSB:RAM ratio. If you use a 1:1 ratio and want to OC your memory, you'll need a FSB of over 533MHz! :shock:

How far do you plan on OCing?

Your cooling setup sounds OK. I'd use the Scythe fan on the Ultra 120 instead of the Thermaltake one. I doubt your 8800GTS needs additional cooling, and the Scythe fan is probably quieter. Can't help on the top vent question. I'd just try it with and without, and see what happens.

jenkins

Post by jenkins » Fri May 25, 2007 5:16 am

Haha, I was afraid you were going to say that about the Thermaltake. I feel kinda the same way about it, but I didn't know what kind of CFM I would need on the heatsink.

As far as using the drive cage as a wind tunnel, the idea is just to get as much cool air in the case as possible. I'm not worried about the video card, but I figured it would help whichever fan I put on my cpu heatsink pull some air in.

Well, I bought these from newegg, and I got the drives first. Then I bought the p182 and they gave me another drive. So I'm thinking I may stripe it, or mirror it. I haven't decided yet.

I plan on OC'ing to at least 3.0ghz on the chip, and I would like to get the timings down on the memory to 4-4-4-12, as opposed to 5-5-5-15. Thanks for the OC advice, by the way.

Thanks for all the help guys, looking forward to your advice.

Jenkins