Logitech VX Revolution Mouse

Closely moderated reviews by forum members willing to share their experience and accept stiff peer review. Open only to registered forum members.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

dfrost

Logitech VX Revolution Mouse

Post by dfrost » Wed May 09, 2007 1:50 pm

Summary: This wireless mouse is incredibly useful, satisfying and (mostly) very quiet.

I needed to replace the increasingly-intermittent small corded mouse I use when traveling with my laptop. (I do NOT like the touchpad, at all!) I first tried a Microsoft 6000 Laser mouse, but the left click “buttonâ€

Chris Chan

Post by Chris Chan » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:58 am

One thing you didnt mention: Linux driver support? I've never seen any Linux drivers (or Mac OS X for that matter) for any fancy mice like that.

RBBOT

Post by RBBOT » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:08 pm

What is it that logictech have against left handed people? Surely there are enough computer users in the world by now to make it financially worthwhile producing left handed models of their high end mice.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:28 pm

Hello,

Logitech does make a left-handed MX610, which is a fine 10-button mouse. The MX Revolution is a couple of steps too far -- two scroll wheels?! I have not seen the VX Revolution, though...

As for Linux support -- I doubt it. They don't support more than 3 buttons and the scroll wheel.
Last edited by NeilBlanchard on Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:05 pm

I use an MX Revolution (larger version of VX). I like the free-scrolling mode these mice have. Without the logitech drivers installed, simply pressing the scroll wheel down toggles between free-scrolling and normal modes.

I'm not sure about Logitech's software, though. Right now I'm using the mouse without any mouse software installed, so that extra thumb scroll doesn't do anything. Plus the scroll wheel's left and right tilt does not function without the Logitech software. Maybe I'll try the software again in the future, but I just feel like I'm adding bloatware just to run a mouse...

The original post got me thinking about being left handed... I'm left-handed but I have always used a mouse right-handed since the days of GEOS on the Commodore 64. Since mice back then were for either hand, I'm not sure what got me started with using a mouse right-handed - I must have thought that's just how they are used.

Chris Chan

Post by Chris Chan » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:07 pm

Heh, me too. I'm a lefty in most respects but I use a mouse right-handed because that's just the status quo.

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Post by merlin » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:36 am

Chris Chan wrote:Heh, me too. I'm a lefty in most respects but I use a mouse right-handed because that's just the status quo.
Me three in that regard, I could barely control a mouse left handed due to how little it's been practiced! The MX revolution is a great mouse, low weight, great ergonomics...the only thing I find lacking is that the wireless is iffy...I wish logitech would improve it to be able to handle interference far far better.

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:56 am

As to linux drivers, I think with a little tweaking all buttons should work. I have a 5 button mouse (by microsoft), and when I was using Ubuntu, I found some tips on IRC or the ubuntu forum on how to make the extra buttons work. wheels may be a different question though.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:11 am

I'm using linux, specifically debian, and the installer automatically found and configured my mouse, all 9 buttons are supported.

Of course it's up to you to make the extra buttons do something useful, but that is not a driver issue at all. You can install for example imwheel, which lets you configure the extra buttons for any software.

dfrost

Post by dfrost » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:59 am

merlin wrote:The MX revolution is a great mouse, low weight, great ergonomics...the only thing I find lacking is that the wireless is iffy...I wish logitech would improve it to be able to handle interference far far better.
I haven't had any wireless problems with this VX Revolution. In one situation where I use this mouse, the USB transceiver is about 6-8' away from the mouse - works fine. Not sure how I'd notice interference, but haven't seen anything different from the wired mouse.

BTW, I'm still on the original battery, still using/loving it 9-10 hours/day, at least 5 days/week. The software says I have 5 days (15%) left, but it said I had 10 days left several weeks ago.

dfrost

Post by dfrost » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:42 am

Update: The original supplied single Duracell AA battery finally quit after two months of use - not bad!

puscifer

Post by puscifer » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:22 am

You said it was quiet (i assume you mean clicking) but how's the wheel noise? I was thinking of gettin a thanko although i havent found one yet. It's for upgrading an mx700 so i hope it will fair well in a desktop environment.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:40 am

Hello,

This mouse has a physical switch on the bottom that has stepped detents, or smooth (silent) motion. The buttons click, though not too loudly.

Visp

Post by Visp » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:14 am

dfrost wrote:Update: The original supplied single Duracell AA battery finally quit after two months of use - not bad!
Does it have a recharger so you don't have to use batteries?