Anybody ever quiet a laptop before? - Specifically Sony S360

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nikkai

Anybody ever quiet a laptop before? - Specifically Sony S360

Post by nikkai » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:29 pm

Topic says it all.

I really want to, b/c this thing is notoriously loud b/c of the dumb bios.

It's set to where the fan turns on at 55C and turns off at 54C (from what I've read at least).

I've undervolted this thing, running at 1.1V for 1.7ghz, but still... loud loud loud.

Maybe if I changed the fan? Any ideas would be great

ikuto

Re: Anybody ever quiet a laptop before? - Specifically Sony

Post by ikuto » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:16 pm

nikkai wrote:Topic says it all.

I really want to, b/c this thing is notoriously loud b/c of the dumb bios.

It's set to where the fan turns on at 55C and turns off at 54C (from what I've read at least).

I've undervolted this thing, running at 1.1V for 1.7ghz, but still... loud loud loud.

Maybe if I changed the fan? Any ideas would be great
Same here, i have a Viao S170 with 1.7Ghz, I have installed the software that controls the CPU speed and voltage, forgot the name. It keeps it quiet at first, then it gets louder and louder. I even applied some Arctic Silver 5 in there, didn't help much except keep temps down a little. That fan is annoying indeed....vrroooomm vrrooooooom. I'd like to replace that fan if it is possible.

autoboy

Post by autoboy » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:27 pm

I was going to say CrystalCPUID but it seems you already are. I would make sure you are running at the lowest possible voltage and multipier when idle. You undervolted the cpu at 1.7ghz, but did you undervolt it when it drops to 600mhz?

steve8pi

laptop cooler

Post by steve8pi » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:02 pm

I quieted my noisy Dell with a Zalman laptop cooler. It keeps the notebook cool enough so that the Dell fan never comes on at all. And the Zalman fan is a decent quiet one. At the low-rpm setting, it doesn't move a lot of air, but enough to keep some air moving thru the laptop.
Most of the time I use the laptop as a desktop replacement, so the cooler just stays parked on my desk.

cloneman

Post by cloneman » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:29 pm

Let us know if you find a good substitute fan that fits! You could also try using an inline resistor but that might be hard to pull off due to space requirements.

Make sure to keep your old fan and put it back in you need to use the warranty :twisted:

Icharus

Post by Icharus » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:17 pm

Like steve8pi, I have a zalman laptop cooler which has quieted my laptop (an older NEC Versa) considerably. Temps went from low 50s to low 60s (deg C) down to low to mid 30s.

The laptop fan never comes on. The zalman is almost inaudible on low speed, which is pretty much all you need.

The other benefit I found was my HDD temps dropped considerably.