A Quiet PC for Torrid Thailand

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
highlandsun

Post by highlandsun » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:29 am

For future reference, re: antistatic bubblewrap etc. - all you need is a spray bottle of soapy water and you can make any plastic wrap antistatic. The point is to make the surface weakly conductive, so that static charges cannot build up at any spot. That's all that most commercial antistatic treatments are anyway - soap and water, weak base, weak ionic solution...

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:58 am

Well, you learn something new every day. I suppose bath water is electrically conductive, and all that is is soap and water, so that makes sense. Mind you, the antistatic bags that motherboards and the like are packed in are actually made of a very thin layer of metal sandwiched between two layers of plastic, to create a flexible Faraday cage for the item inside.

WOLF

Post by WOLF » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:50 pm

Hi, I just found spcr a couple of days ago while I was beginning to formulate a plan on building myself a new PC to replace my noisy and hot DELL. I love the look of the P150 case (though I plan on using an A8N-SLI as well so I know I'll have to jump through the appropriate PSU hoops with Antec... :( bummer) and am totally impressed at both how cool and quiet your version came out.

THE REASON I'm posting here is actually just an aesthetic one actually - I was wondering how your DVD burner drive front looks like that... I know that's a poorly-worded question, but I looked up the drive you're using and I got very different looking pics and was also not able to find (easily) any replacement or aftermarket faceplates that matched the one you've used. Did you "DIY" mod the drive or am I just missing or having a hard time finding something?

Thanks for any info you could give me on this and again, I love what you've done with both this specific PC and just about everything else I've seen so far @ spcr! Thanks.
Last edited by WOLF on Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:55 pm

Wolf, Welcome to SPCR!

About that optical drive front... the P150 comes with "stealth" covers. :wink:
See the P150 review for more details.

WOLF

Post by WOLF » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:05 pm

Thanks for the quick reply!

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:51 pm

An interesting missive from Frank in Thailand:
Frank wrote:Hi Mike,

My air-conditioner has broken so I been running your machine in the
April heat for the last couple of days. Temperature on the box is now 33
degrees C. No problems and still no noise.

Be seeing you,

Frank
So it appears the worst case scenario that I anticipated is happening, and the PC is still doing fine. :)

PS -- Not sure what Frank meant by "on the box", but I do know this is the hot season in Thailand, and according to Weather Underground, the highs in Chiang Mai are 35~40C, and lows at night are ~20C.

sanse

Post by sanse » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:38 am

MikeC wrote:An interesting missive from Frank in Thailand:

PS -- Not sure what Frank meant by "on the box", but I do know this is the hot season in Thailand, and according to Weather Underground, the highs in Chiang Mai are 35~40C, and lows at night are ~20C.
he is probably referring to the temperature in the room the machine resides.

eoctanker

Going with a solo instead of P150

Post by eoctanker » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:47 am

First off, I want to say that this is a great article! alot of what you used is what I am in the process of buying and building myself. I have waited for the Solo to come out and it should be here any day. I have three questions:
1. I will be using a seasonic s12-430, so I can't duct the air. Does the seasonice pull air in from outside and dump it inside or will it be pulling air off the CPU HS and then dumping it outside the case? Simple question but I havent' found this answer yet.
2. I was looking at a Zalman HS (the verticle flower one...) it is cools about the same as the scythe, but it is slightly louder. It will also push more air onto the surrounding mobo area and I can use the RAM slot. In your opinion, which would work better, your system or the zalman system?
3. Finally, I want to use a 7900GT card. The artic cool is not compatible with this card and they are bringing out a passive system for this card. Do you know of any other cooling system that I can use that will dump the hot air outside the case like the artic cool rev 3 system?

Thanks for the help and I love the system that you built. :D

sanse

Post by sanse » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:06 am

hi mike,

how's the quiet pc for frank doing after a year and a half running in hot humid thailand?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:23 am

sanse wrote:hi mike,

how's the quiet pc for frank doing after a year and a half running in hot humid thailand?
I was in touch with Frank a couple weeks ago, and he didn't mention anything about the PC so I presume it's ok.

I'm not holding up quite as well in hot humid Thailand, however. It's bloody sweltering here right now, esp if you try to do anything vaguely athletic. I'm sweating buckets.

Why I'm here is going gto be a very interesting story or 2 on www.ecopcreview.com It involves near-zero eco-footprint solar / hydro powered computers and Burmese refugees.

That's all you get before the story's posted. ;)