radiator + pump in closet?

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ripken204

radiator + pump in closet?

Post by ripken204 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:32 am

i want to get water cooling but i still dont want any noise and i really dont have the space in my case. so im thinking about routing my tubing to my closet, about 4 feet away from the computer, and cooling it that way. i would put the radiator, pump, and reservoir in there. put im not too sure what pump. ive been hearing about use an iwaki, but which one? and where can i even buy one?

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:02 pm

this is a good idea and you do not need a massive pump to do this so long as the level of the lines and pump and the case are even.

I would look at making a soundproofing box for the pump to isolate it and keep it from getting kicked. also gets style points.

this is an idea I am implementing when I get a nicer place next year. the tubing will be partially made of aluminum with fins on it negating the need for a special place for a radiator. To and from tubing will radiate :) nice and ghetto.

Howard

Post by Howard » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:14 pm

The closet will heat up. You knew that, right?

ripken204

Post by ripken204 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:13 pm

ya, i may just leave the door open, at least it gets the fans away from me..

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:36 am

~El~Jefe~ wrote:so long as the level of the lines and pump and the case are even.
This is incorrect. If it is a closed loop system it doesn't matter at all. If you have a reserator or any other 'open' system, it would be advisable to put the 'hole' at the top... but this is only needed to ensure the water doesn't 'escape' from the 'hole' if you get a leak elsewhere.

This thread talks about an Eheim 1048 pushing up a 7M rise in a closed loop system. Sadly the pics appear to be no longer available. :(

Regards
Pete

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:25 am

er... I am not incorrect in the slightest. For some reason, people think that water is the 5th dimension or 10th or something of that sort. The idea that level of a pump and it pushing doesnt matter where it is located, as if it doesnt follow any sort of basic physics property. Work is applied to move an object against gravity. Watercooling systems are normally not sealed, espeically homebrew 24/7 long term ones. heat causes expansion, cooling causes a vacuum, both are bad when you want to maintain no leaks for long term usage. The effort involved in making one with a sealed resevoir is kinda pointless unless you are a plumber possibly who is making an all copper system from scratch. shrugs? A pump pushing up 7 meters may be shown on 3-2-1 Contact, but it isnt nearly as efficient as pushing it parallel to the case. It just cannot be. The goal is less noise, so a pump pushing hard or a larger pump defeats some of this purpose. I think the main problem for doign a system like this is that it is so custom, it is hard to make sure their is no galvanic corrosion due to different metals (not all copper is the same even)

Trekmeister

Post by Trekmeister » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:39 pm

Regarding pump height no it does not really matter that much if the leads are horizontal or vertical in a closed loop. Closed loop in this case means the same water is used all the time, no new water is added (the way your run of the mill watercooler works).

The pump accelerates the water on the exit side, meaning the preasure is higher on the outley than on the inlet. If you have a loop going 3 meters up in the air it just means that the static pressure on the pump, both inlet and outlet is that of 3m of water. Even if your pump could only push water to the height of 50cm you would still get circulation in the loop since the water on the other side wants to force it an additional 3m up. However if you put the intake hose into a bucket on the same level as the pump, it would no longer have the preassure of 3m water on the inlet, and your pump would most likely not be able to push the 3m of water.

On the other hand, the 3m high loop will case a larger static pressure on the pump, worst case it will destroy the housing. It might also cause a larger load on seals, bearings and stuff. Guess that could lead to an increased noise level, but as I have no experience in watercooling computers I could not say either way. On the other hand the higher pressure could lead to less cavitation by the impeller perhaps? Anyone moderatley skilled in fluid dynamics who would happen to have any idea? :)

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:25 pm

pump pushes. it does not suction. suctioning sorta happens, but I do not think that is where the energy is focused on. work goes uphill. I dont think the pressure from the lines going into the pump really are anything useful. the housing is rubber and flexible, the system is not air tight. I just think that there is a difference. I have been water cooling for a few years now and that is my impression. You might be right though that it could make much less of a difference than I think.