Add a "Donation Subscription"?

Like something? Don't like something? Don't see something? Here's the place to provide feedback about the SilentPCReview.com site. User feedback is very important to us -- we really do read the posts in this forum.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Edward Ng

Good idea?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:35 am

Yea, I have too much money and would like for SPCR to take it out of my checking account every month...
50%
No, I'm a cheapskate and/or already donate large, hefty, hernia-inducing sums...
8%
I like waffles
42%

Total votes: 12

psiu

Add a "Donation Subscription"?

Post by psiu » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:35 am

Pretty simple idea I hope--instead of the $20, 40 or 100 one time donation models, add a recurring model--I think Paypal supports this kind of thing. From my perspective, it's a lot easier to float a $1.99 or 2.99 a month kind of thing on the bank or CC statements past the wifey than a $40 donation.

"What is this $40 for? WHAT IS IT FOR?"
"Well, it's for this nerdy site filled with geeks honey....erm, they help me come up with ideas to spend all our money on all those fans and heatsinks piled up in the spare bedroom..."
" :shock: :evil: :evil: :evil: "

So anyways...maybe 1.99/mo? Wait, scratch that...make it *drum-roll* $2.00/mo!!! That would be $24/yr....and even getting just 20 people doing that would make a pretty good dent in the webhosting costs I think. Maybe there could even be pictures attached to the forums :wink:

Edit: I in no way mean to disrespect the dweebs and dorks out there who weren't mentioned above. You also help me waste my money (I would be a card-carrying geek, btw 8) ).

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:54 am

I like this idea. I give $1.99/month to a couple of streaming audio sites via an automatic Paypal withdrawal. You never even miss the money doing it that way.

BeerParty
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by BeerParty » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:00 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:I like this idea. I give $1.99/month to a couple of streaming audio sites via an automatic Paypal withdrawal. You never even miss the money doing it that way.
Do you have to maintain a Paypal account for this, or can you do it via a credit card? If you really want it to "disappear", adding $2 a month to a credit card bill would really be the way to go (that's how I made my fortune :P ).

psiu

Post by psiu » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:48 am

Not sure, I guess you could make the CC your default payment method but I'm not positive. Hopefully someone else will see this and can comment.

Just to clarify...it would just be nice if this was added as an *additional* option to support the site. LOL....who voted for the waffles? :lol: :wink:

fri2219

Call me Mr. Popular for saying this, but...

Post by fri2219 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:54 pm

For me, hobbyist web forums asking for money is akin to the parties some people used to throw when I was an undergrad... you get invited and then you find out they want $5.00 to help them pay for a half barrel of Bud Light or worse, and maybe their rent too. (BTW, these parties always blew chunks)

If you cant afford to throw the party, then why bother?

That said, I think things are fine as the are, but then again, I'm not writing checks for the bandwidth.

psiu

Post by psiu » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:19 am

Well, they've had the donation option for a while here--and this is one of the few hobbyist sites I bother to come to--it would totally suck if one day there was the announcement that "whoops SPCR is closing, can't afford it anymore, kthnxbye..."

Bud Light. Yuck. I remember those days :lol:

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:48 pm

It's not kind to ask... but you would tell us if funds are running slim, right?
Surely a lot of people would pitch in if needed...

psiu

Post by psiu » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:55 pm

Beats me...I just want to point out:

a) I in no way represent SPCR--I'm just a visitor here too;

b) They have offered an option to donate for some time--most websites do in some way if you find them helpful--I'm just looking for an additional method in which to do so.

I just generally can't pony up $20 or $40 at a shot like that though, thus the suggestion.

qviri

Post by qviri » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:10 pm

I think this is a good idea, and if it isn't too much of a hassle to set up, it's worth doing.