Stscker 832 + h20/220 apex ultra

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

fotis1972

Stscker 832 + h20/220 apex ultra

Post by fotis1972 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:12 pm

Hello again, i'm wondering if i can install the apex ultra with the stacker 832, i'm asking that because there aren't any holes at the back of the case, i have to drill new ?? and the radiator i can put it inside?? any ideas would be helpfull
Thanks a lot
Fotis

laguz1

Post by laguz1 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:55 am

yeah, the apex ultra 220 can fit inside the stacker 832, but either in 2 configurations: at the bottom, or at the front

you can always mount it externally too, using the swiftech radbox

if you go external...the radbox's instructions are pretty clear and you basically attach it to the existing 120mm fan mountings, and then attach the radiator to the radbox...the only thing you'll have to drill are two tubing holes to connect that radiator

if you mount the radiator internally in the front, you can draw air into the case (via the radiator + fans), but you have to give up 6 5.25" slots to do this...that basically means you're limited to, i think 3 other 5.25" drives for the HDs/opticals (if you only have 2 hard drives, and one DVD drive, this could work pretty well)

and lastly, you can put the entire radiator/fan setup at the bottom of the case...to do this, coolermaster nicely already incorporated 2 120mm slots at the bottom of the case. All you would do is remove the cover, place your radiator over it, and then connect all the fans/tubes..that easy

the only issue with this setup is 1: minimal clearance from the floor (you have only ~2" from the bottom of your desk/floor, to the radiator, meaning unless you have good fans, you'll have hot air buildup there), 2: you lose the bottom 2-3 slots of your mobo, depending on what size radiator you use (i.e. a thermochill + fans + shroud = lots of internal space lost)

now that i think about it, you might also be able to attach a 120.2 radiator on the side fan bracket, but its just clear plastic holding it up...so i personally wouldn't try it, but if you're ambitious enough, i guess its possible

This also depends on what you are cooling...is your setup just a CPU block? or also GPU? SLI? if you have an SLI 8800 series and a Core 2 that you plan on overclocking, i would stay alway from a 120.2 radiator since it'll get hot pretty easily

if you want lots of room and a nice case, get a Lian Li G70B, its cheaper than the stacker 832 (by ~$50), and has about 3-4" height difference, so you can easy mount a radiator on the top of the case, including a triple rad

fotis1972

Post by fotis1972 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:43 pm

what about the silverstone tj-07 ?? no prob with the money, i think its better solutions and i can put it in the down side of the case, back of the grills

laguz1

Post by laguz1 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:03 pm

yeah, the temjin TJ-07 will work well also, except its more $$$

but if money isn't an issue...it does have more ways you can mount a radiator

the perfect spot is probably the top, since it already has 2 120mm fan mountings there, with a mesh grill

you can put a radiator on the front too since the HD's are separate from the 5.25" bays

you can also put another 120.2 rad at the bottom HD area, or hang it from the back externally (it can't fit internally since there are 92mm fan slots, not 120)

hell, if you're super duper hardcore about watercooling, you can probably fit 3 120.2 radiators in that case...although you would need dual pumps i'm guessing