Antec Sonata Designer case

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

paulka

Antec Sonata Designer case

Post by paulka » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:08 am

Hi,

Has anyone experience with the new Antec Sonata Designer case?

Is it build identical to the P150 (and the SOLO), with just a touch of blue and a different PSU?

Thanks,

Paul

crispyfish

Post by crispyfish » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:25 pm

Here's their product flier. It's basically a P150 with highlights. I don't know why they've even put it in the Sonata family...

http://www.antec.com/pdf/flyers/sonata% ... ner_EC.pdf

jaldridge6

Post by jaldridge6 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:12 pm

theyre probably going to phase out the p150 I would guess. still, its pretty dumb to call a p150 a sonata. I have to wonder how things are so fucked up and stupid in the big world of business. Do antec's left hand not know what the right is doing?

mbetea

Post by mbetea » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:33 pm

jaldridge6 wrote:theyre probably going to phase out the p150 I would guess. still, its pretty dumb to call a p150 a sonata. I have to wonder how things are so fucked up and stupid in the big world of business. Do antec's left hand not know what the right is doing?
Bah, you'll see plenty of people soon enough claiming that the "Sonata Designer" case has improved so much over the p150. :roll: What's that saying? There's a sucker born every minute?

I thought for sure they would have a case out with the exterior of a p180/2 and the size and interior of a p150.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:24 pm

The Sonata name was too good to ditch, even if the interior design was bad enough to warrant a makeover. :D

P150 by design, definitely. There's a net weight difference though, 12.05kg for the Designer and 11.5kg for the P150. Don't know if that's just the PSU though(shouldn't be included in net weight by definition).

paulka

Post by paulka » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:15 am

Thanks for the replies.

So all of you agree with me that this is basically a P150 case. (with some heavy blue paint :lol: )

I guess they added the case to the Sonato series because also the SOLO in there.
Since I want to silence my computer. (and my current case needs replacing) and I like this case and dislike the shinny black paint of the SOLO. I think this case is good choise. Do you agree?

If you would have the choise between the P150 and this Sonato Designer, which one would you choose?
So basically which of the two PSUs is better?

thanks,

Paul

Breogan

Post by Breogan » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:40 am

Earthwatts-500 would be a better choice for me. Seasonic built and >80% efficient.

puddnhead

Post by puddnhead » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:42 pm

Makes sense to me that they reused the sonata name. I build a PC maybe once a year or two. My build a couple years ago was a sonata. When I came to build another one late last year, I read up and decided that the P150 was a "better Sonata than the Sonata," i.e. it did what I bought the Sonata for, better than the Sonata did, so I bought it. But I only figured that out through lots of reading, and the average previous sonata buyer maybe missed that.

If they want to keep the Sonata brand viable (I think it's worth something, so they should), they ought to use it on the box that most accurately represents the Sonata ideals in the current lineup -- the P150.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:20 am

It's a good choice for a compact setup that doesn't need the component space or air buffer of the P18x. It also looks more cheerful with that extra touch of colour, though I don't know how good it'll look in an actual setting.

Neo HE or Earthwatts, makes no difference. Both are adequate in terms of power and efficiency, both have had quality control problems, both are rear-intake with small fans. Neo HE is modular I think, and EW is not though. See if you can live with it(as in: it works), then buy an S12 or a Corsair 520 if you can't. :wink:

paulka

Post by paulka » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:19 am

Thanks for the comments!

I actualy prefer the rear fan on the PSU. I want to have the air duct to the front so it is even better for me. :lol:

And for the case in an actual setting. This must make my Mac minded wife, aprove on this new case. 8)

Cheers