Replacing PSU with new one

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Marvin

Replacing PSU with new one

Post by Marvin » Tue Nov 19, 2002 12:43 am

I purchased my new computer about 6 months ago and I'm totally fed up with the excessive noise it produces. :x :cry:

I have decently quiet fans, 2 papst 8412NGL (12dB, 19,4CFM) as case fans, and Papst 8412NGML (19dB, 26,5CFM) for CPU, all @12V. I'm about to make a control panel to slow them down, but my main enemy is my PSU.

I'm still wondering, should I mod my existing hellmachine, or buy new, different kind of PSU.

My existing is Enermax EG365P-VE. If I have understood correctly, it is quite simple to mod to decently silent. Out with the old, in with the new 92mm PAPST 3412NGL (35,9CFM, 23dB), as that would be easy for me to get due to my location. And at the same time loose the 80mm...

If I'm to mod the darn thing, I will make some fanspeed adjustment device for it so I can keep the temps down.

My main question here lies, does anyone have opinion about 400W Q-Tec Dual GoldPower LowNoise PSU,
http://www.qtec.info/products/product.htm?artnr=13352

I know that first thing said is that two fans are bit useless, since the other has no much use.

Just wondering if I could get some decent results without modding, or is it too much asked. :roll:

Oh, and the other stuff inside my Chieftec DX-01BBD are:
MSI KT3 ULTRA-ARU
Athlon XP 1600 @1400MHz (not overclocked), usually temps <50 C
Alpha PAL8045T Heatsink
Lite-On CD-RW 24X/10X/40X
80Gb Maxtor DiamondMax D740X 6L080L4
Gainward CardexPERT GeForce2 MX400 tv
+ Network adapter I can't remember right now :D

All parts are as they came from the box.

ChiefWeasel

Post by ChiefWeasel » Tue Nov 19, 2002 3:15 am

I would think a normal 300W quiet PSU would be fine for your needs. The reviews of all three are available in the review section. If they arent available near you, then maybe go for the modding option.

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Tue Nov 19, 2002 10:22 am

I had a look at their webpage on that PSU, and it doesn't look very impressive. The heatsinks inside seem small compared to the zalmans and even the seasonic reviewed here. Even small compared to my Antec.

Marvin

Post by Marvin » Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:36 pm

Thanks for your comments, that only confirmed my vision of modding my PSU.

I just hope that my solder still stays in my hand, haven't been using it for quite many years :lol:

And on another matter, does anyone know any other good site with schematics for fanspeed control units, than http://www.cpemma.co.uk/index.html.

Just thinking about making it my self, so I could get what I need and get that oh so happy feeling of making something my self.

Though about designing it by my self, but regrettebly I have to admit, that the skills I had allmost ten years ago, are so rusty, that little help would be in good use.