Solo PSU w/ duct/ZM-MFC2 (2008 Update)

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mtavares

Solo PSU w/ duct/ZM-MFC2 (2008 Update)

Post by mtavares » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:10 am

Hi,

First of all, we would much appreciate the help and support of all of the paticipants of this site/forum. We used a lot of suggestions in order to assembly this quiet computer.

The main goal is to mount a quiet, low power, with good graphics capability and to be used in a hot country (Brazil).

The spec:
1- Case/Fans: Antec Solo w/ 2 Nexus 92mm (input)@9V and 1 Nexus 120mm (out) @7V
2- Mobo/Chipset cooler: Asus M2A-VM HDMI w/ Thermalright HR-05
3- CPU/Cooler: AMD 64X2 4600+ 65W/Zalman 9500 w/ Nexus 92 fan mod @12V
4- GPU: Gigabyte 8600GTS Silentpipe3
5- Power Supply: Antec Neo HE 550W
6- HD Western Digital 400GB (SATAII)
7- DVD Writer: Samsung SH-S183 (SATA)
8 -Memory: 2x1GB OCZ Platinum 6400 DDR2-800
9- TV Card: AVerTV Combo PCI-E

The pictures:
a) External
Image Image

b) Internal
Image Image
Image Image Image

c) PSU Duct

The temperatures:
We are experiencing an unusual cold day today (12 C). Up to now, anyhing to worry about.
CPU: 30 C (Asus ProbeII)
Mobo: 34 C (Asus Probe II)
GPU: 47 C (RivaTuner)

We considered the final result very good. We can only hear a breeze sound during a complete silent environment during late night. Following the guidelines recommended here really works.

The only part that we would like to install in order to complete the system is the fan control Zalman ZM-MFC2. It is very difficult to find this component.

Once again, we thank you all by the recommendations/suggestions.

Best Regards,

Marcos

Q.J.A
Last edited by mtavares on Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:59 am, edited 7 times in total.

yosh2000

Post by yosh2000 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:32 pm

suggestions:

1 - clean your cpu cooler!!!
2 - i actually had two 92 mm fans in my solo, but i found that i got just the same temps with only one, so that might be able to cut some noise for you.

mtavares

Post by mtavares » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:09 pm

yosh2000,

Thanks by your suggestions:

1- We cleaned the cooler and took another picture :oops:. We are returning the dust filter also.
2- We will test your suggestion when the temperature return to normal here. In addition, we should consider that the temperature here during summer can reach more than 30C.

Best Regards,

Marcos,

Q.J.A

Burette

Post by Burette » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:07 pm

Where are the pictures?

Burette

Post by Burette » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:09 pm

Where are the pictures?

mtavares

Configuration update

Post by mtavares » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:06 pm

Burette,

After yosh2000 comments and reading again the article that originated this implementation (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article293-page1.html), we decided to make some improvements in our configuration. We moved the HDD to the upper side of the HDD bay and install the fanmate of the lower input fan outside the case.

a) External

b) Internal
Image Image

The other pictures are still valid.

We expect to install a Zalman ZM-MFC2 fan controller in the near future in order to finalize this configuration.

Best Regards,

Marcos

Q.J.A

mtavares

Solo/PSU Duct/ZM-MFC2/8600GTS (Updated)

Post by mtavares » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:46 am

Finally the Zalman ZM_MFC2 arrived and we could finalize our configuration.

We decided to perform other modifications also:
a) Replace the Nexus 92mm on the 9500 cooler by a Zalman PWM fan;
b) Remove the top front Nexus 92mm fan and install a Nexus 120mm at the end of the HD cage to increase the airflow pressure over the fanless videocard;
c) Remove the PCI slot below the videocard;
d) Install a temperature on the videocard close to the GPU and apply the Artic Silver 5 TIM.
e) Install a Chieftec D12SL-12 fan on the rear;
f) Return the HDD to the lower portion;
g) Removal of all fanmates.

Regarding the ZM-MFC2, it fulfilled our expectations completely. It is a very nice unit with a lot of interesting features. The only drawback is that we could see the digits only if you are looking direct to that. The lateral vision angle is very, very narrow.

See below the pictures.

Once again, thank all of you by the valuable information exchanged in this site and forum.

Best Regards,

Marcos

P.S: We apologize by the pictures quality. We could only use the cell phone camera.

Q.J.A

roadie

Post by roadie » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:31 am

I have quite a similar set up! The Solo really is a good case to make a quiet computer with. The only problem I have with mine is that the rear of the case is backed up against a wall (~6" or so), and the wall reflects the sound of the computer back towards me. It's amazing how this can amplify the sound of a 900rpm Yate Loon!

leospagnol

Post by leospagnol » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:54 am

Congratulations, very nice set.
I'm from Brazil also, where did you buy the Solo and the Nexus fans?

mtavares

Post by mtavares » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:40 pm

roadie wrote:I have quite a similar set up! The Solo really is a good case to make a quiet computer with. The only problem I have with mine is that the rear of the case is backed up against a wall (~6" or so), and the wall reflects the sound of the computer back towards me. It's amazing how this can amplify the sound of a 900rpm Yate Loon!
Just an idea. You could try to put a piece of foam on the wall at the Yate Loon exhaust. It can reduce a little bit this reflection and amplification problem. This type of approach is used in the Sivertone PP02 Power Supply acoustic cover. See the link below for reference.
http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/ ... pp02&area=

Best Regards

Marcos

Q.J.A

mtavares

Post by mtavares » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:00 pm

leospagnol wrote:Congratulations, very nice set.
I'm from Brazil also, where did you buy the Solo and the Nexus fans?
Very nice. It is very good to see other member from our country here.

Thanks by your comments. It was very funny to assembly this configuration.

Regarding buying parts. Our configuration came almost entirely from the USA. Some friends bought the parts to me. We did not find the Nexus or the Solo in Brazil. Regarding the Nexus, it can be replaced by the Chiefetec D12SL-12 with a fanmate2 or by the Noctua. It can be found at http://www.waz.com.br/1/home.php . You can contact them in order to verify if they can get the Solo for you. In any case, they have the Antec P180b. We bought some parts there before and they are very reliable and have the majority of the components described on this forum. See below some direct links for your information.

http://www.waz.com.br/gabinete/antec_pe ... prod=88560
http://www.waz.com.br/cooler/chieftec_d ... prod=89150

In case of any additional information, let us know.

Best Regards,

Marcos

Q.J.A

mtavares

Configuration update

Post by mtavares » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:12 pm

HI,

We implemented some final changes in our configuration in order to reduce the noise and illuminated mouse (MS Habu)/keyboard (MS Reclusa). We also changed the location of the ZM-MFC2 in order to open space for an additional component in the future. We are using a single slot for the PWR supply duct. We saw this implementation before in this forum and it worked properly. We did not see any difference in the PWR supply fan performance.

We decided to remove the CPU PWM fan and return the Nexus 92mm. The PWM fan was much more noisier. In order to implement this modification it was necessary to add a fanmate 2. We are still monitoring the CPU fan rpm via the ZM-MFC2.

The final result is shown in the pictures below:

a) Internal view
Image Image Image Image

b) External view

c) Configuration environment
c.1) Main light on

c.2) Main light off

Thank you all. We are still improving our configuration with the suggestions discussed in this forum.

Best Regards,

Marcos

Q.J.A

Justchill

Post by Justchill » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:22 am

Did the cutting out of the grilles help alot?

mtavares

Post by mtavares » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:58 pm

Justchill wrote:Did the cutting out of the grilles help alot?
We cut the grilles before install the components in the case. However, we did this modification in a previous implementation and we verified the benefits of an increase in the airflow and a small reduction in the "woosh" sound.

Particularly, we will make this mod in any implementation from now on. We recommend it.

The only caution to be considered is that after cut the grilles, make sure that all the metal particles or parts were completely removed. Specially if you use a Dremel to perform this task.

Regards,

Marcos

Q.J.A

Justchill

Post by Justchill » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:33 am

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

What is the grey/silver-coloured tapeg you've put around the hole?
Why did you do that?
It looks like aluminium foil.

http://img411.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 125sa7.jpg

mtavares

Post by mtavares » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:27 pm

Justchill wrote:What is the grey/silver-coloured tapeg you've put around the hole?
Why did you do that?
It looks like aluminium foil.
It is an aluminium foil tape. We did that just for finishing purposes. To avoid any hurt during computer handling.

Other users of this forum used rubber finishing. See the following post for reference.

viewtopic.php?t=45729

Best Regards,

Marcos

Q.J.A