Reserator 2 Pump Failure :( Replacement options?

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Chuck_Norris

Reserator 2 Pump Failure :( Replacement options?

Post by Chuck_Norris » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:54 am

Hi, I have the Zalman Reserator 2 and a few days ago, the pump failed. :cry: I have had it for about six months and I am using distilled water with the zalman anti-corrosion additive. I contacted the company, but since it is the weekend, they havent gotten back to me yet.

I would like to know:
1. What are the best options for replacing the pump with a different one?
2. Are these options able to be mounted inside the Reserator?
3. Where can I buy these options for the lowest price?

I would prefer a 12V option with the pc power supply connector (4-pin) as opposed to the 120V versions that plug into the wall. I would also like one that can be mounted in a pc case or back in the Reserator itself and it should be fairly quiet.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Chuck_Norris

Post by Chuck_Norris » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:18 pm

OK I did some research and I think I will go with the hydor l35. My only concern is that it comes with 1/2" fittings and the reserator system uses 3/8". I've read somewhere that if you soak the tube in hot water for a minute or so, you can stretch the tube over the 1/2". Does this create any problems as far as pressure or flow? I have also been looking at the eheim 600 and 1000. Will these fit back in the reserator? That would be ideal. Can I expect the same performance problems a few months down the line? Thanks.

WR304

Post by WR304 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:44 pm

The Eheim 1000 is supposed to be the pump that comes with the Reserator 2. :)

I haven't had mine apart enough to check the model number but quite a few reviews state that's the pump used.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=34 ... pert&pid=5

Have a look at this thread about tubing sizes and flow:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... p?t=147767

My reserator 2 is only getting on for two months old but the pump seems ok so far.

If you're in the UK the pump should still be in warranty so they ought to just send you a new one. :)

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Re: Reserator 2 Pump Failure :( Replacement options?

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:40 pm

Chuck_Norris wrote:Hi, I have the Zalman Reserator 2 and a few days ago, the pump failed. :cry: I have had it for about six months and I am using distilled water with the zalman anti-corrosion additive. I contacted the company, but since it is the weekend, they havent gotten back to me yet.

I would like to know:
1. What are the best options for replacing the pump with a different one?
2. Are these options able to be mounted inside the Reserator?
3. Where can I buy these options for the lowest price?

I would prefer a 12V option with the pc power supply connector (4-pin) as opposed to the 120V versions that plug into the wall. I would also like one that can be mounted in a pc case or back in the Reserator itself and it should be fairly quiet.

Thank you in advance for your help.
ahhh a 2 poster. expected a 1 poster to ask this.

well, blimey, it has a 1 year warranty.

call zalman.

Chuck_Norris

Post by Chuck_Norris » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:20 am

Okay, I decided on the hydor seltz l25 and a criticool pci power plant.
I got the hydor for about $52 and the criticool for $14 on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CRITICOOL-PCI-Pump- ... dZViewItem

https://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem ... ndor~.html

Okay, so now, when I install these, can I leave the broken pump in the Reserator or should I remove it completely. I couldn't find any manuals online for installing an external pump. Do you know of any?
Thanks

bobkoure

Post by bobkoure » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:08 am

Well, if you really feel the need to use an 110VAC pump, have a look at the Eheim 1046. They're dead silent (there is some vibration, but less than the hydors, actually) and provide more than enough flow/head for what you're doing.
The difference is that the 1046 has really good reliability. I've put a number of these (before I went over to using the Innovatek/Eheim HPPS) in friends' PCs and they've been running 24x7 for literally years - no failures.