My aging P180 build

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Xcapepr

My aging P180 build

Post by Xcapepr » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:38 pm

Its aging because it WAS top notch... back in 2005!! Pentium 4 3.4HT CPU running @ 3.99(originally had a 2.8HT, ran much cooler but slow!). G.Skill PC500 matched 2GB kit (1GB x 2). Asus P4P800E-Deluxe mobo, ATI X850 Pro with a ATI Silencer 5 cooler. All the fans are Antec Tricools. The PSU is an Antec NeoPower 480.

The upper HDD bay is empty, it will hold dual 250gb HDDs in a RAID 0 once the planed upgrade finally takes place. The lower bay has 2 500BG WD R2 drives in RAID 1 and a 74GB Raptor for the OS. It will be eliminated for the quieter striped 7200 RPM HDDs. The rear exaust fan is not used (disconnected).

All the fans run in the low setting and the GPU fan is controlled by AtiTool to be off until it gets to 50C. Once it gets to 51C, the fan spins up to 100% until it goes down to 49C. It stays around 45 - 48C in idle so its completely silent!

The CPU idles at about 35 - 40C but never passes 55C under load. Nice for a overclocked Prescott P4!

Dual Dell 17 analog LCDs... can,t wait for my dual 24 Samsung Syncmasters!!

Logitech x530 5.1 speakers (sub behind LCDs) I want the Logitech 5300e ones

Notice the withe square at the lower right corner? Its the Tricool selector, I can increase speed when needed (P182 style!)

Cooler Master Hyper 6 Cooler, it uses the top exhaust fan for cooling instead of the included 100mm fan

GPU with the ATI Slilencer

Nasty cable routing!

Sony DVD R DL with rounded IDE cable

The SATA cabling mess needs some work still, the 500gb drives were just installed today

Gotta have some stickers!

What a mess!

See that VGA cable?

It goes into a raceway and feeds my HDTV

Back to the PC

Who says a Kama Bay cooler cant be used on a P180, the fan is an Antec Tricool LED (Red) on low setting

Rails bolted up

Closer

Railways

Other side

Almost in

Completely in

I'm still happy with my computer, it works fine for the use I give it (not a big gamer). I need more power for Adobe's CS3 and power sucking Vista!

I have to choose between a new laptop or the upgrade... itd so bad to have to decide.. I WANT BOTH!![/url]

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:44 am

aging yes, but very nice. I am not sure if KamaBay really needs tricool, but nicely done the mounting, so you can adjust the speed just opening front door. Upper chamber cabling is nice and clean. I am sure you get bottom chamber done soon too.

I always enjoy looking peoples P18x/b builds.

Xcapepr

Post by Xcapepr » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:05 am

Cleaned up some of the wiring, so here are a couple of more pics

Less of a mess now

Lower drive cage, over $700 worth of HDDs down there!

Artonox

Post by Artonox » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:45 am

nice stuff, except the cables (but that's the case's fault though :shock: )