Easiest Way to get 5V

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Duncan
Friend of SPCR

Post by Duncan » Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:14 am

You can get plain molex connectors that you crimp the wires to the pins, and then just push the pins through the holes. The first part of this link explains the wiring :)

http://www.silentpcreview.com/modules.p ... d=6&page=1

:)
Last edited by Duncan on Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:15 am

Needlenose pliers. Pull the probes out of the fan's molex connector and switch them out. Takes 5 minutes. Typically you have to bend the little "wings" back down so they lock back in when you push them back in.

Let me know if they makes any sense at all. I am assuming some familiarity.
Last edited by miker on Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harry Azol

Post by Harry Azol » Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:15 am

I made my own 5v "adapter"..

grab a pair of pliers, then on the male molex connector that plugs into the psu, squeeze the red and yellow pins and push them out of the connector, then reverse them and put them back in..

Kostik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Kostik » Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:16 am

I know it's not exactly what you are looking for but...

Zalman ZM-MC1.

Or use terminal block to get whatever voltage you want without soldering.

Dr. Smith

my way

Post by Dr. Smith » Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:18 am

you mean the fans are tapped in off of regular full size 4 pin power connectors? If so, this is what I did, but YMMV.

just get a small screwdrive (glasses screw size) and use that to release the pins from the 12v line and the 12v ground. Then just switch the wires on that connector, so that the wire that used to run to 12v now matches up w/ the 5v line, and the connector still fits together just fine.

I've done this a few times and everything is still running...of course don't plug anything into the other side of that moldex connector except another fan.

Although if anyone sees a problem with this, let me know....

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:19 am

LoL, the flood of responses, all within 2 minutes of each other. We must have all been typing at the same time :)

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:24 pm

Isn't it nice to see that not only did alot of people have an answer, but that they all agreed! How often does that happen on the internet?!?

And yes, Dr. Smith, you did it exactly right. A little screwdriver is how I do it too.

Keel

Post by Keel » Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:29 pm

Easiest way=force the 4 pin molex to plug in backwards...but be careful if you use a y-splitter...i killed a harddrive like this like <10sec

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:06 pm

Only one thing to be careful of, by doing this mod is that the pins may become a little loose, so just make sure the pins are connecting. If you notice some of the pins is sticking out a little of the molex (male) connector when plugged into your psu molex (female) connector then push the pins back in, which should be pretty secure until you remove/plug in next time.

Do it again, simple as that.

Also you should not do this mod to the PSU connectors as you can easily forget which one is 5v and then kill off your HD as mentioned. Do this for the fan connectors only or if you have to do it to Y-splitters then mark them with 5v.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:53 pm

Some of my fans has Y splitters built in. What I did is to swap 12V and 5V on both the male and female molex of the fan connectors (like ez2remember said, DON'T do it to the PSU connectors). The upside is that you can use the other connector to power regular equipment. The downside is that others may get confused when they look at your connectors (and see yellow wire where the red should be).