Dragon Jealousy, Talking Shop

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:37 pm

al bundy wrote:
Kostik wrote:...If you want to decouple the whole PSU for some reason, you might find this interesting, though it might be hard to find in the US...
Those do work, and you can get them here too.

8)
Wow! :shock: You really had a discernable difference in noise by using this product? I ignorantly bought one at the beginning of my silent quest before I realized that directron might have good prices, but is not a very good source of silencing advice. I found no noticable benefit to using this product at all, nor have I been able to get any vibration damping by inserting it between a fan and any mounting surface (ie heatsink). Which may be helpful to know since they also sell a 80mm fan-sized silicon washer.

Please share your experience with using this product on a PSU?

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:18 pm

aphonos wrote:Please share your experience with using this product on a PSU?
No problem! I tried one of these out in a family member's PC, it was a generic case and I think it was an Enlight PSU. They had a fanless video card and a passively-cooled P2 processor in there, and the PSU was easily the loudest component in their machine. After installing a PSU grommet I noticed a drop in vibrational noise transmitting through the computer case from the PSU fan. Not a staggering difference, but I did notice it nonetheless (so did they).

I doubt that an accomplished SPCR member would notice much difference from this product with our slower-spinning/less noisy PSU fans (like in a Nexus PSU for instance). However, with a mechanically noisy PSU fan and especially with a highly resonant case, this product does have its uses.

I've not tried the 80mm fan grommet you mentioned, but I did see directron.com carries it. I wonder if anybody around here has ever tried it out? It would be interesting to compare it to our favorite blue foam isolators...

8)

Keel

Post by Keel » Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:43 pm

Snorlax wrote:I live in Sweden and have a FSP350-60PN PSU(and 2x92mm L1BX) on the way from coolcases.com. I was thinking I could take some old mouse pad and cut it out so it fit between the case and the psu what do you have to say about that? Unneccesary or great idea!? :roll:
Can't hurt to try it out although my experience with making my own fan/hdd grommets failed miserably :oops: ... the rubbery stuff i cut it out of started "flapping" which created more noise :cry:

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:47 pm

Radeonman wrote:Update!

I have installed a louder and higher CFM fan on the heatsink (a cooler-master neon fan) as well as move the fan on my ZM-80 so it's on top of the card and can blow air effectively (it's rubber-banded in place).

Temps on the video card have dropped substantially, CPU temp is down to 51, mobo temp down to 45. Ambient in here remains around 30C. Damn it's hot in here.
Radeonman,

Are you saying you mounted the fan in the perpendicular fashion to the card, where both sides of it are receiving airflow from the fan?

You seem to have gotten the results you were looking for and I am wondering how you did it as I am going to take out my tiny screamer on the gf3 ti200 and mount a fan in front or on top (perpendicular to) the card.