More quiete Shuttle SS51G PSU?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

SZ
Patron of SPCR

More quiete Shuttle SS51G PSU?

Post by SZ » Tue Nov 19, 2002 3:37 am

:?: This sounds like a crazy idea, but what everybody thinks about replacing Shuttle SS51G PSU (one of the ACHME PSU, FlexATX with 40mm very noisy fan) with TK Power TP300PO?
This beast costs around 200$ and this stops me from buying it currently.
How hot will it be in such a compact case like Shuttle Flex ATX case?
Will it require an additional fan?

When I first assembled SS51 the very loud part were the main fan, after replacing it with Enermax the most loud fan is the PSU fan! What are the options do I have besides replacing this PSU with fanless PSU?

Does it make sense try opening PSU, cut off the internal fan, make some additional holes in the PSU case and add one more 80mm external more quiet fan for PSU? I don't think I'll be able to find more quiet 40mm fan anywhere.

Any ideas are welcome! I was trying to find a fanless FlexAtx (about 160x90x45 mm ) PSU and looks like only TK Power produces such things... they are costy though!

thanks

Justin_R

How to get a quiet XPC

Post by Justin_R » Wed Nov 20, 2002 8:57 pm

Serge-

First off, what really needs to happen is that Shuttle needs to release an external power supply unit for its XPCs, like the Apple Cube computers had. I'd encourage yourself and everyone else that wants a quiet XPC to email Shuttle saying you want a quiet external power supply.

Next, I'll recount my experience trying to quiet a couple of Microstar SFF PCs that I bought a while back. As you've noticed, the 40mm fans are the worst.

The techniques I had moderate success with were externally mounting a quiet 60mm fan over the exhaust hole for the PSU, and using a full size ATX PSU kept outside of the case of the SFF PC. I wasn't satisfied with the results of undervolting the PSU fan (noise-wise or cooling-wise) in my systems, but you might be. One approach I didn't try that might work for you is cutting a hole through the PSU and the case (to expose the PSU to the outside) and externally mounting a quiet 80mm fan. But with a case as pretty as the new Shuttle, this seems more like butchery than modding.

Finally, I'd be surprised if you could fit the TK Power fanless unit in your case. The Shuttles are pretty tiny. And the TK Power supplies do need some decent airflow from case fans in order to use them safely. Not to mention that exposed high voltage components in such cramped quarters might lead to some unfortunate accidents.

SZ
Patron of SPCR

Post by SZ » Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:41 am

>to email Shuttle saying you want a quiet external power supply.
That's a great idea, I just did that! It's interesting what they're going to reply...

>But with a case as pretty as the new Shuttle, this seems more like butchery than modding.
Yes, I thought about some nice cases for the external fan, could be not so bad if these cases are located on the both sides of the Shuttle, I'll get
"big-eared Shuttle". :)

>Finally, I'd be surprised if you could fit the TK Power fanless unit in your case. The Shuttles are pretty tiny.
It fits, the size of 300W model is 103.5 x 40.0 x 178.0 (mm). The original
Shuttle PSU height is also 40mm and this is the most critical side.

>And the TK Power supplies do need some decent airflow from case fans in order to use them safely.
The xternal 80mm fan should work, TK Power guys says that 23CFM should be more than enough, also they says fanless 300W model shoudl
be considered as 170W, it's interesting how hot is it?

SZ
Patron of SPCR

:) Answer from Shuttle support team

Post by SZ » Fri Nov 22, 2002 12:29 am

As I wrote yesterady I sent quite a detailed comments and question about noisy PSU fan. Their answer were quite simple:

"I think it is due to you have not set up BIOS for FAN."

That's it! The guys signature were 10 times larger than reply! :)
No answer on my question on external PSU.