coil whine

Like something? Don't like something? Don't see something? Here's the place to provide feedback about the SilentPCReview.com site. User feedback is very important to us -- we really do read the posts in this forum.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Edward Ng

have you ever heard a computer squeal or whine?

yes
85%
no
15%

Total votes: 13

psymanproductions

coil whine

Post by psymanproductions » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:55 pm

i would love to see a good, in depth article on coil whine. it is an issiue wich has plauged me ever since i decided to make my pc quiet and in terms of noise, has never been covered in depth!

after about 4 hours of googling i only found bits and bats on forums (most of them here)

there are 4 computers in my house, 2 of them have coil whine. if that ratio extends beyond me and im not just unlucky, then half of the people who own a computer have coil whine (weather they realise it or not)
i guess my poll might shed a bit of light on that.

i think if any one here is an expert in this field wrote an article on the subject, it would help many people avoid or repair, even replace? the noisy coils that manufacturers seem to have their hearts set on using

oh, and about the poll.

why not let everyone know what and who was guilty of making the sqealing noise. my guilty components are ;

gigabyte GA-M55S-S3 mobo

gigabyte 7600gt silentpipeII... lol "siletnt"

xclio good power 500w psu

thanks for reading :D

dragmor

Post by dragmor » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:43 pm

1 out of the 4 Shuttle SK22G2v2 has coil wine, but only when running the onboard graphics at 1024x768 or 640x480. Every other resolution is fine and none of the other 3 have the problem.