Idle:

CPU: 27-33c
VGA: 55-65c
HD: 30c

Load:

CPU: 48-53c
VGA: 73-80c
HD: 38c

The reason for the variances is because sometimes its 21c ambient and sometimes its 29c.

Noise:

I have lots of fans, they just run at low RPMs.
The fan hooked up to the Ninja runs at 950rpm
The fan behind the Ninja runs at 600rpm
The fan right in front of the VGA runs at 950rpm
The fan in the front of that fan (2 fans in mid part) runs at 600rpm
The fan in lower chamber runs at 600rpm.

All controlled by Zalman fan mates.

I can only hear my computer during the middle of the night with my windows closed. Even with all the fans turned up to 1100rpm I can't hear anything except at night because I live in a college town and listen to music all the time.

"Mods"

With Hedge Trimmers I cut the fan grills of the front of the case.

Added Metal/Ductape Shroud to bottom of 8800gts to expel hot air. Dropped 8800gts temps by over 10c!!!

Seperated CPU and VGA with cardboard

Mounted Hard Drive on Foam

Added Foam everywhere. I put it on the bottom of the upperchamber, ontop on DVD drive (Quieted it down alot), put it on cardboard, put it above and below Hard Drive...

Covered most of top shroud with cardboard to block sound. Covered Cardboard with Blacktape so it didn't stand out.

Added my own "Custom" Front grill. I used a cd holder thing you can see on the right on my desk. I cut it out and replaced the drive bay things and it reduced CPU temps by 3c.

Lapped CPU and heatsink reducing temps by ~5c.

Put Artic Silver 5 on 8800gts reducing temps by ~3c.

Overall the computer is very fast and quiet. I've only had a few problems overall (mostly concerning Ninja mounting and nv4.dll bluescreen). Its great to be able to build a SILENT computer that can play BIOshock at full settings...

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:03 pm

1) excellent headphones, at my schools radio station we have two in each studio

2) another MSI owner...might i ask, how close to the edge of the board is the ninja's fins? do they go past the edge of the board? i don't have a P182 so my PSU might get slightly in the way, i'm just wondering what your thoughts on the matter are

3) the computer looks really good, no dust issues? running without filters scares me having 3 furry pets roaming around in the same room.

wish i had a nice gfx card...i thought i was loosing my geforce earlier because it tore a frame like i never saw before...new thermal paste and its running better already.

Bories36

Post by Bories36 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:43 pm

I'll check the ninja tommorow, its to late now, my whole family is asleep.
Ya, those were my moms recording headphones until I took them. They are really good. The dust isn't to bad at all. I have a cat and out family never dusts. About once a month I use a air duster and spray it out, its not to bad.

Sainty

Post by Sainty » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:16 am

That's a great case from what I've heard, so hopefully everything is going to work out just fine.

I'm curious, as a fellow 8800 GTS owner, how exactly did you fabricate the shroud for the card? All I see is duct tape! :)

There isn't room for a fan there, but it looks like the air just gets pushed out the back better when pointed downwards with the help of the chute?

Did you just open up another expansion slot in the back?

Any more pictures/thoughts would be welcome, I might give that a try also.

For the actual videocard itself, did you leave the stock white thermal tape on the metal parts where the HS meets the rest of the chips? (Not the GPU core, just those little black chips surrounding the GPU.)

Looking good! :D

Bories36

Post by Bories36 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:16 am

For the vent/shroud I took old slot covers from a previous comp and bent them into shape. Then I cut one in half with hedge clippers and put them for the sides. The I covered the inside in electrical tape and the rest in duct tape. The air just floats out, its great because when I play games, the air gets really hot, and if wasn't for the vent it would all go back into the case. I opened 2 slots below the 8800gts for the vent, and all the air exits there. I left the stock thermal tape on the memory (black chips) and just replaced the core with Artic Silver.

Doubt that was clear enough, basically just use any material and just make a vent and put it over the 3 slots on the bottom of the card and have it go to the back of the case. Maybe a plastic folder would work. Look under the Cool and Quiet VGA section, WR has posted some good guides w/ pics to building a vent/shroud.

Bobendren

Post by Bobendren » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:15 am

How hot does the northbridge and southbridge get? I know the 680i chipsets really bake...you can't hold a finger to them even at idle.

Also what does the manual say about running the gfx card in the lower PCI-E slot? Does it run any slower? I'm thinking about buying the MSI P6N SLI Platinum and want to run the gfx card in the lower slot, so i can install the thermalright heatsink with the fins positioned above the card.

Bories36

Post by Bories36 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:41 pm

I just checked and the manual doesn't say anything about it, I bet it would be fine. But why get a aftermarket heatsink, the stock 8800gts is really really silent idle and you can only hear a whisper when its at load, and it exhausts the hot air, cooling down your whole computer.

The North and South Bridge do get pretty hot, the south bridge I can hold a finger on at idle, but the north is flaming, but I don't think its doing anything bad. It would be way worse if I didn't have the card board above the VGA.

Bories36

Post by Bories36 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:26 am

Listen to these temps. With the CPU fan on high~1100rpm, I get these sweet temps.

Ambient: 23c

Idle: 27c.
Load: 39c. (With Front Panel Shut!)

Chocolinx

Post by Chocolinx » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:21 am

Bories36 wrote:Listen to these temps. With the CPU fan on high~1100rpm, I get these sweet temps.

Ambient: 23c

Idle: 27c.
Load: 39c. (With Front Panel Shut!)
Those temps are really good. I can hardly even come close to getting those temps. My CPU is even slightly undervolted too.

Bories36

Post by Bories36 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:06 pm

Ya, I guess lapping really did the trick. My artic silver hasnt even set in yet.

Shmanky

Post by Shmanky » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:56 pm

Bories36, can you talk a little bit about your Scythe Ninja rev b concerns. Did you have a problem with the push pins? Or a close fit next to ram modules, etc. Thanks.

Would you use this heat sink again, or would you get another, like the Thermalright Ultra 120 (Extreme).

Bories36

Post by Bories36 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:07 am

Ok, ya, I had some Ninja problems.

First, when I first mounted it, the top left push pin wasnt in all the way and the plastic part of the thing that holds it in... was above the MOBO, and its suppose to be below it....I had to remount it and I thought it was ok, but I was getting load temps around 59c. Then I went onto scythe forums and got a new retention kit for free and used that. My temps still werent that good. Then I got some fine sand paper and lapped the heatsink and CPU and my temps are where they are know.

The Ninja only cost me 35 dollars, which is a great price. But I would have gotten the Ultra 120 Extreme instead (Cost way more).

If you get the Ninja, get another Retention kit....

EDIT: Fan on Ninja is resting on memory, but thats not a problem. All the stuff around the CPU is out of the way of the Ninja