Antec P182SE Advanced Super Midtower Case: P180 v.2

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
pjeremy

Post by pjeremy » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:15 am

Another question, how well does the P182SE handle sunlight shining on it compared to the P180?
I'd assume that the P180 would get hotter and thus louder, whereas the P182SE should reflect the sunlight pretty well and thus temperature and noise level should increase only slightly.

walle

Post by walle » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:19 am

Forgive me gentlemen, but here goes…

1: Advanced cabling system = getting it right the second time

2: Failing to address the top exhaust=getting it wrong a second time

3: Implemented work torch=I'm in the dark here...woot?

4: The mirror effect= mirror mirror on the....

Sum up! Solo is still number one, classier too; despite a paintjob that makes it look like an orange in extreme close up :lol:

Humour in its finest eh?
pjeremy wrote:I'd assume that the P180 would get hotter and thus louder, whereas the P182SE should reflect the sunlight pretty well and thus temperature and noise level should increase only slightly.
Them Antec lads sure now how to include every possible scenario, even take into account those putting their rigs in the sunny garden :D

Perhaps a tad bit… much

Edit: I will be in my heavily armoured bunker, just in case someone seeks to put me in the naughty corner.

cheers :mrgreen:

Edit2: Nice review, as always

deebass
Patron of SPCR

Post by deebass » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:05 pm

Hi!

Remember me? Some years ago I was a more active user: viewtopic.php?t=6490

But from time time I have kept coming here to see how the silent front was improving.

Now finally I had time to move my PC from the seven years old and filled up with Akasa PaxMate case to a P180B bought 2 months ago. But, I have found that it is a P182 case :)

I also changed the PSU from the luckily won here :D Seasonic SuperSilencer 300W to an Antec Phantom 500W :D

After carefully arranging cables leaving unused behind the motherboard (nice new feature :) ), and settings the 3 fans to low speed, I powered up, and ¡¡I heard hardly no difference from what I had!! Fan noise is a little louder than before (those Tricool are going to get out very soon :P ) but activity hard disk noise has improved a little. Also temperatures of hard disks, PWM and CPU have gone down a few degrees :)

Once said that, I have to add that there's a new world of possibilities for me :) . Since the article written 4 years ago, I have done only two major changes to my computer, with strict and concious thermal budget due to the limitations of my previous case, improving performance without hardly increasing noise (still the SuperSilencer fan spinning at 1300-1400rpm was the highest noise; it also sped up to 1600-1800rpm under constant heavy load).

Now the thermal budget can be increased to a whole new level without hardly compromising noise and thus increasing the performance of my computer (now I understand why both P180 and P182 reviews included "hot" setups), but, on 2nd thought, I think I am going to call from retirement my set of Papst and Yate Loon fans, and I think I have some Paxmate left :twisted:
Last edited by deebass on Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gholam

Post by Gholam » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:55 pm

cpemma wrote:On cable management, I found my Seasonic S12-430 cables too short for 'behind the tray' routing to motherboard power and optical drives
Could you please elaborate on that? I'm currently planning a system, going probably with P182 and S12-430, and this is quite alarming. SPCR review shows P182 with Nexus NX-8060 PSU, which, according to separate reviews, has the same 20" 24-pin and 4-pin cables as S12-430 - were your problems caused by awkward positioning of power connectors, such as below and to the left of CPU socket?

Meowbay

Post by Meowbay » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:21 pm

And why do the Antec HD bays force you to position them vertically?
From my own thorough 25 years of computer experience I have found (and clearly noticed) the first thing NOT to do with a harddisk is to put it vertically.
And I've noticed the same in my 6+ years system administrating job at a commercial radio station. Those I mount horizontally always last significantly longer.

Honestly: I was about to buy an Antec case (either the P182 or the P190), but the 4 disks vertical bay forces me not to buy one. Nobody will be able to convince me otherwise. I've seen too many drives fail *because* they were mounted vertically, I just won't fall for that trick ever again.

I'd rather have 3 drives horizontally in the bottom bay, than 4 vertically.
Antec? Please change that!

l33t-krew

Post by l33t-krew » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:36 pm

whistle
Last edited by l33t-krew on Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

l33t-krew

Post by l33t-krew » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:38 pm

lkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
Last edited by l33t-krew on Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Justchill

Post by Justchill » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:11 am

Hi,

anyone who has the P182. Can you tell me how to replace the lower chamber fan? It's really stuck inside something. Do I have to unscrew something?

tkz

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:41 am

Meowbay wrote:And why do the Antec HD bays force you to position them vertically?
From my own thorough 25 years of computer experience I have found (and clearly noticed) the first thing NOT to do with a harddisk is to put it vertically.
And I've noticed the same in my 6+ years system administrating job at a commercial radio station. Those I mount horizontally always last significantly longer.

Honestly: I was about to buy an Antec case (either the P182 or the P190), but the 4 disks vertical bay forces me not to buy one. Nobody will be able to convince me otherwise. I've seen too many drives fail *because* they were mounted vertically, I just won't fall for that trick ever again.

I'd rather have 3 drives horizontally in the bottom bay, than 4 vertically.
Antec? Please change that!
Simply not true. Your observations may be valid for older drives, but FDB bearing HDDs manufactured in the last few years have NO issues whatsoever with mounting position. Major HDD makers post such info on their websites today. This has been discussed ad nauseum in numerous forum threads, the biggest of which has been a sticky in the Silent Storage forum for a long time.

On the other hand, if you still prefer going horizontal, it's easy to use clothing elastic to suspend 3 iHDDs n the bottom cage. Someone did it and posted pics in the forums recently.

seemingly.random

Post by seemingly.random » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:59 pm

Justchill wrote:Hi,

anyone who has the P182. Can you tell me how to replace the lower chamber fan? It's really stuck inside something. Do I have to unscrew something?

tkz
No screws, only pressure. The fan is attached by the usual screws to the bracket which is removable. I would suggest removing both side panels and getting a bright light. It's initially tricky but you'll figure it out. It is the same as the 'middle' fan bracket between the drives and the case front. It's really quite imaginative engineering. Can't remember if this is described in the manual.

seemingly.random

Post by seemingly.random » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:09 pm

Meowbay wrote:And why do the Antec HD bays force you to position them vertically?
I would assume so more can fit in the same space.
Those I mount horizontally always last significantly longer.
I don't have the knowledge of an EE (or mechanical E) but would assume with the current speeds the orientation has become negligible. I've never heard of a drive failure attributed to orientation.
From my own thorough 25 years of computer experience
What's your opinion/experience about max hd operating temps?

Justchill

Post by Justchill » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:30 pm

seemingly.random wrote:
Justchill wrote:Hi,

tkz
No screws, only pressure. The fan is attached by the usual screws to the bracket which is removable. I would suggest removing both side panels and getting a bright light. It's initially tricky but you'll figure it out. It is the same as the 'middle' fan bracket between the drives and the case front. It's really quite imaginative engineering. Can't remember if this is described in the manual.
It's not, otherwise I would not ask it here. I emailed to antec support and manage to do it. You have to pull it up AND pull it backwards at the same time.

seemingly.random

Post by seemingly.random » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:36 pm

Justchill wrote:It's not, otherwise I would not ask it here.
Wasn't trying to insinuate anything. In my experience, case manuals are lacking - sometimes non-existent. Subjects are covered at random and even if described not necessarily helpful. IMO, a large % is devoted to legal disclaimers and safety stuff - don't stick your finger in the wall socket... I usually RTM after I'm done installing.

Glad you got it.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:20 pm

MikeC wrote:Simply not true. Your observations may be valid for older drives, but FDB bearing HDDs manufactured in the last few years have NO issues whatsoever with mounting position.
The new Hitachi 200series 7200RPM 2.5" drive specification allows "all six 3D mounting positions", and allows 5 degrees deviation from these without increasing disk error rates. Thus, perfectly vertical (and close), perfectly horizontal but upside-down (and close) are OK, but a 45 degree angle in between seems to be contraindicated.

This brand-new, SOTA 2.5" HDD does seem to have issues with some mounting positions... :(

flyingseagull

Post by flyingseagull » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:53 am

Great forum. Very useful information! :D[/url]

Cardnyl

Fan Mounting

Post by Cardnyl » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:36 am

I had a few questions about this case that I was hoping someone might know the answers to. I did a few searches but its possible I put the wrong key words and so some of this might have been covered already.

Friend of mine is currently picking one of these up for me as an xmas present. I was just wondering how hard it would be to replace the fans present at the top and rear of the case with yate loons given that the switches to control the speed of both are now hard mounted to the back of the case.

If a replacement of the top and back fans isn't necessary is it still feasible to grommet these fans? What about the rest of the fans (included or optional) in the case? I have read that there are grommets for open and closed style fans. Which style does the p182 use?

Is it necessary to grommet cd rom drives? Is such a thing possible with this case or is it typically not possible with most cases.

Thanks in advance.

Justchill

Post by Justchill » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:01 am

With a little DIY-feeling, it's not so hard to replace all the antec fans by yateloon's (as I've did)

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:30 am

I just ripped out the fan control thingies from the bracket, no biggie.

Cardnyl

Post by Cardnyl » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:30 am

Also in addition to the questions I had above is there enough space to use an Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme with 2x 120mm fans in push pull? Or will this depend mainly on the motherboard I am using as far as where the cpu socket is in relation to the rest of the board's components.

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:57 am

Dont do that. Mount it vertical, one fan in push. The rear and top exhaust will handle the rest.

Btw, you should really make your own thread in System Advice for these questions :)

Cardnyl

Post by Cardnyl » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:22 pm

Wibla wrote:Dont do that. Mount it vertical, one fan in push. The rear and top exhaust will handle the rest.

Btw, you should really make your own thread in System Advice for these questions :)
Ah ok will do and thanks for the replies I am sorta new to this whole silent computing thing (I used to use vantec tornados in my case) so I want to make sure I do it right the first time hehe.

PieceOfMind

Post by PieceOfMind » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:43 pm

Does anyone here have a P182 SE specifically? If yes could you please post a photo of the front panel (fan grills and drive bays etc.)? I have searched everywhere but have not seen a single photo of this part of the case - only ones for the black P182 or the P180. I assume it doesn't look completely identical but I could be wrong (actually I probably am wrong! :oops: ).

fashnek

Post by fashnek » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:42 am

PieceOfMind wrote:Does anyone here have a P182 SE specifically? If yes could you please post a photo of the front panel (fan grills and drive bays etc.)? I have searched everywhere but have not seen a single photo of this part of the case - only ones for the black P182 or the P180. I assume it doesn't look completely identical but I could be wrong (actually I probably am wrong! :oops: ).
Check out this thread on some other forums for lots of pictures.

It's the exact same. Everything is the exact same except the exterior panel color, the interior paint job, and the included work light.

PieceOfMind

Post by PieceOfMind » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:37 am

Thanks a lot!

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:48 am

Those front panels arent standard tho?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:34 am

fashnek's photo does not show a standard P180 or P182 front bezel.

SPCR reviews show them for both the P180 and P182. They are identical.

PieceOfMind

Post by PieceOfMind » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:10 pm

Yeah I realised this after I posted. From somewhere I got the impression the P182SE had an aluminium style bezel but I was mistaken obviously. I'm pleased it is a black finish though because picking black parts is slightly easier in the current market.

Still... those 5.25" mesh thingies look nice. Did you make those yourself fashnek?

Meowbay

Post by Meowbay » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:36 am

MikeC wrote:Simply not true. Your observations may be valid for older drives, but FDB bearing HDDs manufactured in the last few years have NO issues whatsoever with mounting position. Major HDD makers post such info on their websites today. This has been discussed ad nauseum in numerous forum threads, the biggest of which has been a sticky in the Silent Storage forum for a long time.
No thread will ever convince me otherwise. It's still a whole lot of apologetic lingo on a clear issue. Nobody would ever turn a record player on its side either. Only if all your mechanics are in a zero-gravity environment (which they aren't in today's HDDs) will they show no extra strain when positioned vertically. Also, you can discuss this ad nauseum whatever you wish, I've seen too many of them fail, and the new disks do not use significantly different tech from that of older drives. Don't believe that? Open them up and you'll see! Also, check Scott's presentations: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?u ... yFlippingA

And of course HDD makers post that it's "OK" to position them in 'different ways'. They sell more if they do! Money talks, for them.
On the other hand, if you still prefer going horizontal, it's easy to use clothing elastic to suspend 3 iHDDs n the bottom cage. Someone did it and posted pics in the forums recently.
Do you have a link to that thread also? I can't find it.

Kaleid

Post by Kaleid » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:27 am

"Regular" 182 user here.

Best case I've had so far but I have some criticism

Since many of us change the fans, it would be great to be able to softmount the top fan.

Fan mufflers for backside and top please.

Blue leds emit way way too much light, during night it becomes some sort of space war :) (HD-activity)

Ability to softmount 5.25" units. I'm tired of cases that resonates with vibrations.

/ Guess that's about it for now.

Meowbay

Post by Meowbay » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:23 pm

Meowbay wrote:
MikeC wrote:On the other hand, if you still prefer going horizontal, it's easy to use clothing elastic to suspend 3 iHDDs n the bottom cage. Someone did it and posted pics in the forums recently.
Do you have a link to that thread also? I can't find it.
Well obviously, no response here.. and what "clothing elastic" would that be? How much extra time does it take to mount them like that?