GREENPEACE Green Guide to Electronics 5th ed. released

Ecological issues around computing. This is an experimental forum.

Moderators: Ralf Hutter, Lawrence Lee

prostetnic

GREENPEACE Green Guide to Electronics 5th ed. released

Post by prostetnic » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:39 am

Yesterday Greenpeace released the 5th edition of Green Guide to Electronics. Link

In essence Greenpeace have compared and scored 14 top manufacturers of personal computers and mobile phones. From my understanding this scoring is from a recycling and toxicity point of view.

mantralord

Re: GREENPEACE Green Guide to Electronics 5th ed. released

Post by mantralord » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:57 pm

It's ironic to see Apple, a company that projects such a "clean" image to their products, score so low.

NyteOwl

Post by NyteOwl » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:14 pm

While I may laud Greenpeace's stated ideals, I have a hard time taking them seriously due to their methods. It i still an interesting read.

prostetnic

Post by prostetnic » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:26 am

Ed. 6 is out. Tv and game consoles are added to the list.
The sixth edition of Greenpeace International’s ‘Guide to Greener Electronics’ has been expanded to include televisions and game consoles.(1) Market leaders Microsoft, Nintendo, Philips and Sharp enter at the bottom of the ranking of environmental performance with Nintendo being the first company scoring zero out of a possible 10 points. Philips and Microsoft performed little better, scoring only 2 and 2.7, respectively.
Links: Press release, How the companies line up, Full report

This report dos not take energy consumption into consideration.
Microsoft doesn't score very high! :evil:

seraphyn

Post by seraphyn » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:09 am

To be honest, i can't take this list very seriously. They nearly only go on by reports from the respective companies and the occasional test. If a company doesn't report much about green computing they get a low score, even if they are in fact doing a lot about it.

Still, the thought behind the list is great, which is typical about how i feel about greenpeace: great idea's, bad implementation.