Noise quality vs. silence

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Noise quality vs. silence

Post by thejamppa » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:06 am

I was wondering how much does quality of noise is relavent is silent computing vs the inaudiable system.

My current system on my signature well, its inaudiable 98% of the time. During the night if I hold my breath I can just and just hear the faint hum about 4 or 5 feet where my computer is when I sleep. So its very quiet when I keep it downloading a torrent or similar.

Now my gaming rig is matter different:
Case: P182B
Mobo: Asys A8N32 Sli Deluxe
CPU: AMD X2 3800+ @ 2,5 Ghz
Cooler: Thermalright HR-01 with NF S12-1200
Ram: 1 GB TWINX-1024 PC3200U 2x512mb DDR400 @ 408 Mhz
HDD: Samsung Spintpoint P-series PATA 80 GB
Optical: LG DVD-ram
Cooling: Front instake: 2x Nexus @ 12v ( 1 mounted front, 1 in front with Scythe Kamabay )
Exhaust: 1x Nexus 120mm rear + Scythe S-Flex D in top both @ 12v

This is alot fans I know, but sound quality is very steady and darkish woosh. Its very pleasant sound at the moment. The Antec TPII 550W that I had in that was noisiest component by far in that case. The Two Gainward 7900 GS in Sli were inaudiable when fan was 50% and adjustable but during in stress they cilmbed very fast loud. But generally the air woosh was main sound. And when I game its inaudiable.

My upcomming components are:
PSU: Corsair HX 620 W
VGA card: Sapphire Ati HD 2900 Pro

Now I've heard horror stories of HD 2900 XT cooler. But in Pro cooler there seems to be one heatpipe more than in higher clocked XT. So cooler seems to be different. I have prepeared for worse but let's see...

But when I compeare two systems together, so far I have started to think is absolute silence necessary, if you can tweak your computer making pleasant hum. I find personally slow and dark wind woosh quite relaxing. Like it would be listening the wind.

I'd like to hear other peoples experience or what they think? How important noise quality is? Would you tolerate more sound from computer if it would be very high quality noise, like air woosh only? Or would you aim dead silent computer no matter what?

Would computer which noise you find relaxing be actually better alternative then dead silent computer (i.e. one that is below ambedient noise level in this case)??

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:00 am

It is very personal...

I have used a loud PC for years and it didn't bother me until one day I got annoyed by it for some reason. My PC is not "silent" but it's quiet enough for me, and that's all that matters!

If you find a steady dark woosh relaxing, I wouldn't change a thing on it, if only to save money.
A dead silent PC is only "necessary" if you really can't stand any noise from it, in my opinion (what about the mouse and keyboard...). If the noise doesn't bother you, best leave it alone.

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:30 am

Noise levels can affect your state of mind too, lots of noise will make you tired faster.. depends abit on the noise ofcourse...

Felger Carbon

Re: Noise quality vs. silence

Post by Felger Carbon » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:39 am

thejamppa wrote:Would computer which noise you find relaxing be actually better alternative then dead silent computer (i.e. one that is below ambedient noise level in this case)??
As a side product of having your ancestors survive so that you exist (and you do) the ability to not just hear, but clearly hear noises that are beneath the ambient noise level is hard-wired in your head. Lotsa survival value in hearing predators try to sneak up on you. These days we call it "cocktail party" hearing: the ability to select one conversation out of many to hear and understand, while ignoring the others.

To be "inaudible", a computer has to have a noise level considerably under the ambient noise level.

Torajirou

Post by Torajirou » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:33 pm

Why do you need so many (non-undervolted) fan for your gaming rig ? What are your temps ?

I'm asking because I have the feeling mine dissipates quite a lot of power too, and still, I get to reasonable temperatures with less fans, all undervolted (and 2 drives more).

EDIT : As for answering your question : I think there's no end to the noise-killing process. You start trying to make your noise signature "more pleasant", then you simply want to make it go away. My goal now is to be able not to notice my computer's on, while having a powerful gaming rig... :twisted:

gb115b
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by gb115b » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:32 am

it matters a fair bit to me...

i've got a quie(ish) fiel server with 9 HDs in it...

you can't hear the HD whine as the PSU runs a little hot and fast...

but the PSU fan noise is actualyl a lot less annoying than the HDs...so i'm always in two minds whether to fix the airflow issue to cool it down...