Folding with an NVidia 8800 ? [Found answer]

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Folding with an NVidia 8800 ? [Found answer]

Post by spookmineer » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:47 pm

I just downloaded, installed and ran F@H.

Reading some more, it's such a shame that "they" (either NVidia, which is likely, or Stanford) haven't figured out how to use the GPU. ATI's are doing good, PS3's are doing great:

I'm one of the lucky people to have a great card for this project and it can't be used for it... Judging from the other threads about this, I'll be likely to keep on doing this on an average CPU.
Last edited by spookmineer on Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:06 pm

Yesterday I couldn't reach the F@H forum, now I read some threads there.

It seems the difference in architecture between ATI and NVidia, and (mainly) the drivers needed for them, are the reason that ATI cards are able to do the job, while NVidia cards aren't (yet).

Updating the NVidia drivers seem to delay things down (Vista, DX10).

Using CUDA would mean at least 2 different GPU clients and the additional work for Stanford to program it, not an option for them (they will invest programming time into optimizing the F@H client(s), which is still their priority).

On the up hand, NVidia is working closely with Standford to find the bug(s), but as with all companies, they have to prioritize their work.

Sorry, I couldn't find the answer here but this is in short what I found about this subject.

Also I didn't know that, while GPU calculations are fast, they are limited in the type of calculations they can do. CPU calculations may be (a bit) slower, but they can run more complex calculations then GPU's can.
So, my CPU is folding without a minority complex.

KansaKilla
Friend of SPCR

Post by KansaKilla » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:58 pm

Every bit helps, thanks for contributing!

wim

Post by wim » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:27 pm

holy shit the PS3's TFLOPS ..!??!!