Budget builds (recycled HP cases) 56k warning

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

joeyl

Budget builds (recycled HP cases) 56k warning

Post by joeyl » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:09 am

Here is my latest build. I am using an HP XW4200 case. For people who know this case is from the HP business line, the CAD people use this workstation a lot. I bought an empty used one from Ebay for about 40 bucks. It is well made, all steel, and has a clean front design with lots of ventilation. Like all HP/Compaq business workstations, it is very heavy.

Front

Shot of the inside:

Removable motherboard tray I had to grind out the IO shield since it only fits the Intel motherboard that came with the PC. Also had to cut some of the mounts since they did not line up with my board.

Last edited by joeyl on Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

joeyl

Post by joeyl » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:17 am

Equipment list:

Motherboard: BIOSTAR TF560 A2+

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Brisbane 2.1GHz Socket AM2 65W Processor. Runs cool so that overclocking can be done on air. Stock speed: 2.1ghz, running at 2.42ghz at the moment. Stock Heatsink, but I replaced the fan with a 70mm Nexus fan. Speed is controlled by the mobo and I have never seen the speed go beyond 700rpm under load. Artic Silver 5 was used, although I cannot tell if it is better than the other paste that came with the heatsink

Memory: 2 X 1G Crucial DDR2

Video card: MSI NX8600GT-T2D256EZ fanless

Hard drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular
Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

Power Supply: stock XW4200 made by Delta. I had to replace the Delta fan that came with it, it was quiet but had a distinct click sound when it ramped up. I had an old ADDA fan that had the same connector since it came from another HP Delta power supply, that one is very quiet with no clicking. The PSU appears well made, and NO BUZZING. Buzzing drives me nuts and I had it on even very expensive PSUs! That one was free with the case!

joeyl

Post by joeyl » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:20 am

Shot of the insde I don;t have a window so I did not do too much with cabling. I may sleeve the wires when I get some time

I may add a fan next to the hard drive cage, just for insurance.

Rear fan is a Panaflo 92mm, with a fanmate, sorry it got a bit dusty and fuzz covered since I build this: long haired dogs in the house owns clean computer.

Left PCI slot covers off to help heatsink

joeyl

Post by joeyl » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:27 am

Temperatures and CPU fan speed (room temperature is 23C according to AC unit temp gauge)
Bottom core temp is the GPU temp.

joeyl

Post by joeyl » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:31 am

Since I build this computer to be my main rig, I will use the old one to make an HTPC. It is housed in a convertible mid tower, I just ordered some smoked acrylic in order to make a new front face for the old case. I am thinking flat black paint for the panels. I will post that build later probably in a couple of weeks
Last edited by joeyl on Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

joeyl

Post by joeyl » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:32 am

Preview