Any experiences with DELTA 120mm's?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Gooserider

Any experiences with DELTA 120mm's?

Post by Gooserider » Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:35 pm

I've been looking at fans for my system, which as I've discussed in a couple of my other posts, need to have at least a nominal 80 CFM rating with fairly high pressure.

Of the fans I've looked at so far, going by the specs it looks like one of the best is a DELTA brand fan. :shock:

This was a suprise to me :shock: because I've always heard Deltas described as being real screamers. However it may be that this is a partly undeserved reputation :cry: in that most of us see Deltas being used on the magnum overclocker HSF units, as opposed to some of their quieter applications.

I'm looking at either the Delta AFB1212LE or ME models. These seem to do better according to their specs than the NMB fans which are popular with the folks here at SPCR. (although the 'B10' that folks talk most about is a 25mm thick model, these are all 38mm thick fans.)

Does anyone have evidence to show that Delta 'exagerates' their specifications?

Here are how the fans compare... Note that each company has two models that are fairly close, with a low model that just meets my minimum spec, and a slightly stronger model that gives about 10% more CFM with only a minor noise increase. I'm inclined to get the stronger model on the theory that I can crank it down lower to get whatever airflow I end up needing, but have the higher potential available if I need it.

Code: Select all

DELTA          A    W   RPM   CFM   SP    Db   Vop
AFB1212LE     .19  2.3  2000  84.8  .18"  34   4-13
AFB1212ME     .26  3.1  2300  95.0  .24"  38   4-13
NMB
4715KL04W-B10 .27  3.2  2300  83.6  .17"  37   6-14
4715KL04W-B20 .40  4.8  2650  97.0  .22"  41   6-14 

A = Amps; W = Watts, SP = Static Pressure (inches), Vop = Operating voltage range.  All specs from MFGR websites, with minor rounding.
Assuming the specs are honest (from both companies!) it looks to me like the Deltas move slightly more air, at slower RPMs, with less noise, and using less power than the matching NMB's.

Judging by the operation voltage spec, it looks like the Delta has a range that more closely matches a PSU's output, and is more tolerant of undervolting.

Even more interesting is what I see when I look at the P-Q curves. The NMB fans have a big dip in the middle of the range, but the Delta curve is much flatter, almost a straight diagonal line.

So it looks to me like the Deltas really have a lot going for them. Does anyone have any experience (preferably with these models) that would say differently?

I still need to check some of the other companies, but going by this, it looks like I should get a pair of Delta AFB1212ME's for the front intakes, and a couple of Panaflo's to go on the back.

Gooserider

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:06 am

Gooserider wrote:I've always heard Deltas described as being real screamers. However it may be that this is a partly undeserved reputation
No, it's fully deserved and well earned.

But maybe you found a needle in the haystack. :)

I really am trying to keep an open mind here, I really am. It's not my strong suit however. The problem I'm having is that "Delta" + "fan" is absolutely as far opposite everything SPCR stands for that it's just hard for me to imagine a Delta Fan that doesn't make your ears bleed.

It's your money, give it a try. You may want to give the premise of this thread a little thought before giving them your CC number though.

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:44 am

Interesting thread, thanks for the pointer. Who knows, Delta has a marketing office in Boston, maybe I can talk them into some samples?

Does anyone (in the US) you know of on the list have any sort of testing setup that can make reasonably test measurments - preferably something on the level approaching the 'official' fan test specs (Which Delta claims to test under to ISO standards BTW) If I knew of someone who'd be able to test with something resembling a scientifically valid approach, I'd be willing to pay shipping to loan them a fan for a couple weeks...

Gooserider

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Sun Aug 10, 2003 5:30 am

The equipment required to test fans to "scientific" accuracy will cost you several thousand dollars. Probably the best amateur way to test fans is by comparison. Buy one of the mystery fans, and do a side-by-side with a reference fan whose characteristics are well known, like an L1A.

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:23 am

Well, I'm cheap! :lol: I was hoping that I could find someone with existing testing capability that would be willing to test in exchange for the data. I figured that would be cheaper than buying a bunch of different fans that I would end up not using...

I've noticed that Dorothy isn't real fond of the M1A (87 CFM) and I've never even seen her mention the H1A (103.8 CFM), but those are probably the Panaflos I would have to use in such a comparison since theyare comparable to the others. It would not be a fair test to compare an L1a at 68 CFM to an 85 CFM NMB or Delta...

I haven't gone to the official site yet (which I need to get the rest of the info) but from what's on GiZzo's page, it looks like the M1A is in between the lower flow NMB and Delta for noise, and is slightly better on airflow. The H1A is highest airflow, but also the loudest...

Gooserider