P180b Silent Gaming Rig

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DerLjubljana

P180b Silent Gaming Rig

Post by DerLjubljana » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:03 pm

*Unfortunately, since I used my father's camera, any lack of quality in the pictures can only be attributed to my unskilled camera work*

P180b with 2 x Noctua NF-S12-1200 120mm @ 5V and 1 x Nexus Real Silent 92mm @ 5V
eVGA 680i with Noctua NC-U6 on the North and South bridge
Intel Core 2 Duo 6300 overclocked to 400 fsb (2.80 GHz)
Noctua NH-U12F with Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E @ 5V
eVGA 7950gt with HR-03
Team Xtreem PC2-6400 @ 400fsb 4-4-4-4-12-T1 timings
Corsair 620HX with Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E @ 5V
Western Digital Caviar 250gb
Western Digital Scorpio 40gb
Samsung SH-S183A

All grilles are cut out, the filters removed and the covers cut down to be less restrictive. The grille around the psu is taped with electrical tape

The 250gb drive is suspended, but since I lan, it is designed to be easy to remove for transport. The screws hook on to two lines of elastic that run front to back. A third line of elastic goes over top, holding the screws hooked on and is held in place by the hook (made of a bent paper clip covered in electrical tape)
During normal use this drive is turned off using RevoSleep, but it is turned on for gaming.

As this picture (hopefully) shows, although the cables around the middle hard drive area are messy, they are out of the way of the air flow.

I just plain like this picture...

Until I get something better, the Mini Wheats cover blocks the upper fan spot.

Although it a permanent WIP, I am approaching happy with the noise level. I had to replace the fan in the PSU as it was the loudest thing in my system (ignoring the 250gb drive). The Scythes are too loud at 7V, so I need to turn those down a bit. Temperatures are great (cpu stays ~25 during normal use (room is ~22), peaking at ~50 with TAT at 100 on both cores and Super Pi running), so I have some room to turn things down.

Should I block the space around the fans? If so, how can I do this without transferring the vibrations to the case?

(For those wonding about the strange set up with the fans, the Scythe in the PSU was originally in the upper chamber, with the Nexus infront of the hd, to try to keep the PSU as cool as possible, since it was the loudest fan. When I put the Scythe in the PSU, the Nexus was no longer useful in the lower chamber, so was moved.)

Come Christmas, I am getting a 8800gt with a HR-03gt and handing the 7950 to my brother, whose HR-03 will go to my dad's silent pc that I'm building him for Christmas (convoluted, I know). I'm going to get a Thermalright HR-05-SLI for the southbridge, giving one of my NC-U6s to my brother. The HR-03gt will be in other orientation (away from the CPU) and I'm going to put a duct along the middle chamber, with the Nexus on the HR-03gt and a 120mm (probably a Nexus) where I have the Nexus now.
Last edited by DerLjubljana on Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DerLjubljana

Post by DerLjubljana » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:45 pm

Whoops, I realized I made a couple mistakes, but as it has been over a day I'm doing a new post as well as an edit.

The ram is running at 4-3-3-3-8 (missed the 4).

The temperatures are lower than stated, hitting ~50 with TAT at 100 on both cores and running Super Pi. It usually stays around 25 during normal use (the room is ~22).

amjedm

Post by amjedm » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:56 pm

DerLjubljana wrote:Whoops, I realized I made a couple mistakes, but as it has been over a day I'm doing a new post as well as an edit.
One mistake you forgot about is it's a P182 not a P180.

There was I thinking 'great another P180 user, maybe loads of mods' :)

DerLjubljana

Post by DerLjubljana » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:55 pm

amjedm wrote:
DerLjubljana wrote:Whoops, I realized I made a couple mistakes, but as it has been over a day I'm doing a new post as well as an edit.
One mistake you forgot about is it's a P182 not a P180.

There was I thinking 'great another P180 user, maybe loads of mods' :)
Actually, I got one of the p180s with the p182 changes (I ordered a p180 and it came in a p180 box). I'm still not sure what happened with all that, but I'm definitely not complaining.

amjedm

Post by amjedm » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:21 am

DerLjubljana wrote:Actually, I got one of the p180s with the p182 changes (I ordered a p180 and it came in a p180 box). I'm still not sure what happened with all that, but I'm definitely not complaining.
That's how the first lot of P182 cases were shipped, in P180 boxes. A number of people got them this way.

yamahaSHO

Post by yamahaSHO » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:16 pm

I've got a P180B and it looks exactly like that.

amjedm

Post by amjedm » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:07 pm

yamahaSHO wrote:I've got a P180B and it looks exactly like that.
It's a P182 in that case ;)

Post by SHare » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:04 pm

Its not, Antec revamped the entire range. The only difference now is the colour of them, everything else is the same spec.

mtavares

Re: P180b Silent Gaming Rig

Post by mtavares » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:06 am

First of all, nice rig.

Are you enjoying the Noctua fans and CPU cooler? Can you provide your impressions about the three different fans that you are using (Nexus, Noctua and Scythe)?

DerLjubljana wrote: Should I block the space around the fans? If so, how can I do this without transferring the vibrations to the case?
We believe that it will be good to block the space around the fans. It increases the air pressure. You can use a foam to do that. It secures the fan properly and reduce considerably the vibration transmition to the case. See the suggestion below:

Marcos

Q.J.A

DerLjubljana

Re: P180b Silent Gaming Rig

Post by DerLjubljana » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:13 pm

Thanks for the responses.
mtavares wrote: Are you enjoying the Noctua fans and CPU cooler? Can you provide your impressions about the three different fans that you are using (Nexus, Noctua and Scythe)?
I've been incredibly impressed by Noctua, both the fans and the heatsink. The processor is overclocked to about 150%, yet rarely breaks 40 when gaming (and the fans don't ramp up). I haven't had any of the screeching problems that people have talked about with the fans. Compared with the Scythes, the Noctuas push more air, quieter.

The Nexus is really quiet too, but since it's only 92mm I cant really compare it to the rest (since they are all 120's). That said, it's good enough that I'm going to get another for extra cooling for my new video card.

I'm less impressed by the S-Flexs. Although they are pretty good, they just don't compare to the other two.

With finals coming up I wont have much time so it might be a while, but when I get the foam around the fans I'll post some more pictures.

yamahaSHO

Post by yamahaSHO » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:51 pm

amjedm wrote:
yamahaSHO wrote:I've got a P180B and it looks exactly like that.
It's a P182 in that case ;)
No, it is a P180B and it is black, not grey/gun metal/etc

Justchill

Post by Justchill » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:13 pm

Hey,

great build!

This question is about the fan replacement of the corsair HX620. In my computer it is also the loudest part. However, how did you do that and how did you give it 7V? ( did you use 12V and 5V lines from the PSU ? ) Is it quiet now? What is the RPM ?

DerLjubljana

Post by DerLjubljana » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:11 pm

I've changed some things, so I'm going to edit the first post.
-Both scythes and the Nexus are at 5V (7V was too loud)
-The fan control was causing a strange 'modulation' in the Noctuas, so they are also set to 5V
-I've turned the hard drive around, so the cables are accessible from the front. If I know I wont be using it, I can unplug it before I boot.
-I managed to screw up the timings even after the edit, but now they are 4-4-4-12-T1 @ 400 fsb. I expect them to change a bit as I am currently fiddling with them

After these changes, the loudest thing in my system with the loud drive off is the Scorpio (both seeks and just the noise of it spinning), which is nearly silent. I intend to do the plasticine enclosure, but it's proving harder than I expected to find plasticine.

Justchill wrote:This question is about the fan replacement of the corsair HX620. In my computer it is also the loudest part. However, how did you do that and how did you give it 7V? ( did you use 12V and 5V lines from the PSU ? ) Is it quiet now? What is the RPM ?
*Before you start, realize that this void the warranty*
*Keep in mind, it can be very dangerous if you touch something you aren't supposed to. Good advice I read somewhere on this forum is that a one handed electrician is a happy electrician (using one hand prevents current from running through your heart). That said, if you are careful, it isn't anything to worry about*

There are 4 screws holding the psu together, one covered by a sticker. After unscrewing these, the psu separates into two parts. The fan is held in by the same screws as normal fans, so is easy to remove.

First I tried using the fan that came in the power supply, but it wouldn't start with just 10 ohms of resistance. I pulled it out (it's too loud to be of use, so it's sitting on my desk) and put the S-Flex in with the silicon fan mounting things that come with Nexus fans (the name is escaping me). I left the grille off, as it just impedes air. The power line is fed out of the power supply (through the space between the frame of the fan and the psu) and set to 5V like any other fan (swap the 12 and the 5).

I don't know the rpm, but the fan is nearly silent. The air coming out is hardly warm, so it's staying cool (one of the perks of the p180's design). At 7V it was way too loud, so I would recommend going straight to 5V. Also, keep in mind that you are going to need a fan that can deal with the higher static pressure (I wouldn't recommend using a Noctua).

Klasital

Post by Klasital » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:10 pm

its a nice setup.
The new video cards are actually very quiet, so i dont see the reason to use the HR-03 vga cooler, I've had both 8800 GT and now HD 3870, I honestly can't hear them at all.

DerLjubljana

Post by DerLjubljana » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:32 pm

Klasital wrote:its a nice setup.
The new video cards are actually very quiet, so i dont see the reason to use the HR-03 vga cooler, I've had both 8800 GT and now HD 3870, I honestly can't hear them at all.
There is no way that it will be quiet enough. When the loud hard drive is off, the computer is nearly silent (you can only hear it late night when the room is dead silent). Also, the stock cooler is pretty bad, so the HR-03 will keep it cooler.

PopCorn

Post by PopCorn » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:48 pm

not to to sound like an as but ur cpu isn't oced 150%?? , stock speed is 1.86ghz and u said u oced it to 2.8ghz that more like 60-70% oc, still considered a good oc but it ain't no 150% , that is unless I'm mistaken

DerLjubljana

Post by DerLjubljana » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:03 pm

PopCorn wrote:not to to sound like an as but ur cpu isn't oced 150%?? , stock speed is 1.86ghz and u said u oced it to 2.8ghz that more like 60-70% oc, still considered a good oc but it ain't no 150% , that is unless I'm mistaken
I said that it is overclocked "to 150%", which is different then a 150% overclock (2.80 / 1.86 ~= 1.50, which is 150%). Is it confusing to state it that way? I'll change it if that is the case.

djkest

Post by djkest » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:30 am

"50% overclock", or "running at 150% of the stock speed", either one of those says the same thing.

PopCorn

Post by PopCorn » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:39 pm

o im sorry, i miss read it, still 50% over clock is still a good oc, im just used to reading it as how much of an oc it is but if i noticed how u type i would have understood it