D201gly2: product and SPCR review discussion

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

yamawho

Post by yamawho » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:22 pm

I was pondering attaching it to the back of a LCD monitor like I did here ...

http://www.abxzone.com/abx_reviews/yama ... le_p1.html

Only this time I would add a PCI wireless network card.

dougz

Re: SiS 662 northbridge themal performance on DFI mobo

Post by dougz » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:04 am

Review claims low northbridge temps. No spec given. Some testing with SiS graphics; some with add-on card.

Note: Pictures in the DFI review show what appears to be considerably larger northbridge heatsink than on Intel D201GLYx. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... p?t=108753

yamawho

Post by yamawho » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:10 am

Maybe replacing with one of these Zalman heatsinks.

It might fit ...

http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/vie ... 0&code=014

jrscherer

Post by jrscherer » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:32 am

So has anyone been able to find a good PCI riser that WOULD allow more then one PCI slot to be going away or onto the motherboard?

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:27 am

I think the Swiftech heatsinks would work great on this board. They are now all-copper, and can be modded easily by opening up the pin fins like this..

This particular mod allows for better low-airflow operation. I've also used four pins to hold an 80mm thin fan.....You can make a mount using vacuum hose and zip ties......soft-mounts the fan directly over the heatsink.

Swiftech at SVC

EDIT BY ADMIN:
DO NOT POST IMAGES BIGGER THAN 600PX WIDE; LINK THEM INSTEAD

vincentfox

2-gig RAM question!

Post by vincentfox » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:39 am

Have any of you who already have this board, had a chance to stick a 2-gig RAM stick in it?

I am really thinking to run OpenSolaris on this board, with a pair of ZFS-mirrored drives. ZFS is fantastic, but works best with a fair amount of RAM in which to run it's ARC cache. Wanting to squeeze all the performance I can out of this thing. I'd still run it with 1-gig if I have to, but would prefer 2-gig.

I work in a data-center, and I see quite enough disk and data corruption during my work-day so my home server I want to be immune from this sort of problem. A terabyte of disk space is nothing to sneeze at in terms of random potential write errors, long fsck, etc.

jrscherer

Post by jrscherer » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:51 am

Sadly hadn't tried the whole 2GB stick, figured would just go with something I knew fully worked without having any issues, if anyone finds out that could be a great way of making this into a fast well rounded system more and more. Also love that idea of that one swiftech heatsink, I think that would be a really good one to use, maybe use two of them, if possible, and make the northbridge along with the CPU be very cool.

PS you may want to make that picture smaller, it messes up the post for that area because it takes up extra room on monitors :(

pfft

linux video drivers and puppy linux

Post by pfft » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:12 pm

Here is a discussion about running puppy linux on this board:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... eb49a9fe2e

It looks as though some puppy linux versions have trouble while others will work.

Here is a discussion about better video drivers for linux with ubuntu specific patches to ease their installation:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... c&t=463077

The posts there say that 2d works ok but no dri or with another elusive driver 3d works but with some trouble at scaling large video to fit the screen. The driver where 2d and video scaling works well is the one with the easy patches.

The stock cpu heatsink is pretty good IMHO. It's the northbridge heatsink that may need work. If memory serves(I'm away from the system right now) the cpu heatsink is 50mm square and the chipset heatsink is 40mm square. There is about 10mm between them. So there isn't much room for larger sinks in this dimension.

pfft

addition

Post by pfft » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:42 pm

I neglected to mention above that the ubuntu specific video drivers were prepared from drivers for Suse 10.2 and they were originally in rpm form.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:02 pm

With that Swiftech heatsink mod I just showed, since the heatsinks are close together, you would tweak the pin fins in the other three directions, leaving the pins on the sides close together.....untouched.

I've done this mod twice.....only broke one pin on the all-copper version. :)

tramall

Post by tramall » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:20 pm

This is my first post on this forum so hello to everybody

Found this tread when was looking for some info about D201GLY2

Just got this board from my supplier (paid 90$ , 75$+22% VAT , but i was promised to get 60$ when buying in bulk ,about 20 units).

I run a digital signage company and we produce our own unit based on D201GLY2 . Now I'am doing some tests ,and i am more brutal to it. So I put this board ito our custom enclousre (which is rather small and no fans in it). Moreover I covered all vents to simulate hot day . This setup is running for 9 hours non-stop , and nothing is going wrong. The cpu usage varies from 2% - 60% , playing flash animations ,movies etc. (typical DS playlist). The board i s stable and runs very well. I am still thinking of putting 60mm fan (its 2,5inches for US guys), but in my business fans are not welcome.
Tommorow i gonna get proper thermometer , and change the content (720p probably , it uses about 75% of Cpu most of the time). Then I let you know if I burned this board or not.

Update : I reached 93 C degrees and had some problems with reboot , so it can work with these temp but it is not healthy...

Downunder

Post by Downunder » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:31 am

A nice little package arrived in Oz today, a D201GLY2 and Pico PSU....but !

Warning .....if you are thinking about a Pico PSU for the D201GLY2 please be aware that the PicoPSU-120-WI-25 this is the variable 12-15v input model, def does not fit due to the USB/LAN housing...... :(

It must have larger coils that the standard 12v model.

syburgh

Post by syburgh » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:02 am

Am using picoPSU-120 with no significant issues (so far). It does touch the LAN/USB housing, but doesn't look too bad.

SZ
Patron of SPCR

Post by SZ » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:06 am

Can you just connect picoPUS to an ATX extension cable?

syburgh

Post by syburgh » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:14 am

SZ wrote:Can you just connect picoPUS to an ATX extension cable?
The picoPSU works fine with an ATX extension cable, but the result is less than ideal (bulky cable can impact airflow in compact case, etc.).

A very short (e.g. 2-3cm) ATX extension cable, or some sort of plug riser would be better. Most extension cables seem to be at least 15cm in length. :(

SZ
Patron of SPCR

Post by SZ » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:28 pm

Just installed my D201GLY2 (1.2GHz version) and WD 1TB GP HDD into Antec NSK-3480 case. Didn't installed anything yet, going to install WHS tomorrow.
With all the case panels removed chipset heatsink become very hot almost immediatelly, couldn't keep my finger on it. CPU heatsink is just a bit cooler. By the way both heatsink kind of loose, I can rotate them, especially one on the chipset. Is this ok?
Going to look for some replacement, don't like these temperatures because going to leave that WHS switched on 24/7.

Does anybody knows what kind of heatsink standard this MB uses? All I found is that those a BGA, but that's not enough to buy a replacement.

Also going to order picoPSU instead of Antec's PSU and quieter Noctua 12cm fan.
APC software installed on another computer showed that then in BIOS the whole PC eats around 30W, I understand that's very rough but I don't have anything else to measure now.

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:59 pm

A quick, free, and effective solution would be to duct the rear exhaust fan to the CPU and northbridge heatsinks. :)

yamawho

Post by yamawho » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:07 pm

My D201GLY2 came in today as well.

I set it up in a test case along with the following components;

Asus 165watt power supply from a working Terminator C3 system
1 gig Crucial DDR2-667
Asus DVD-rom
WD 80gig SATA hdd

It would not boot and got a black screen. The hdd was running and the dvd-rom light was on. I thought it was the memory but then I noticed that the dvd-rom drive would not respond when I tried to open it.

I changed the power supply for an Antec 300watt PSU and booted into the bios. The only thing I needed to change was the time and the boot order was good with CDrom 1st, floppy 2nd, hdd 3rd.

I used a Mepis linux v6.5 live cd and went into memtest v1.65 and did 2 passes without errors. I then rebooted back into Mepis and used std xorg setting and presto ... it works. Played around with afew things, went online and no video problems :D

Oh yeah ... Mepis rocks 8)

One more thing ... the north bridge is hot hot hot, used a small room fan to blow into the case during memtest. I think I will order the Zalman heatsink tonight ...

dougz

Post by dougz » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:40 pm

yamawho wrote: I used a Mepis linux v6.5 live cd and went into memtest v1.65 and did 2 passes without errors. I then rebooted back into Mepis and used std xorg setting and presto ... it works. Played around with afew things, went online and no video problems :D

Oh yeah ... Mepis rocks 8)
I have to agree with you about Mepis. Very nice distro.

On a machine like this, you might consider the antiX version of Mepis. The fluxbox window manager really flies on less powerful machines where KDE might be a bit slow. Matter of taste, but antiX is really a quite polished little Mepis variant.
http://www.mepislovers.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40

Question: What video resolution(s) are you using?

yamawho

Post by yamawho » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:51 pm

dougz,

I have a Zonet KVM 4 port PS2 with z Hanns 15 inch LCD thats at 1024x768 70 hz.

I think regular Mepis runs great on this board 8)

pfft

Post by pfft » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:38 pm

yamawho,
That's great news. Can you find any identifying info on the video driver that mephis is using? Also, have you tried playing a video of dvd resolution or greater at full screen?

I measured the cpu heatsink. It is 45mmx50mm. The 50mm dimension is from side to side(a line parallel to the ram slot) and the 45mm dimension is front to back where back means where the rear connections are. There is a large cap and the fan connector on one side with two large caps on the opposite side. I think that a 50mm square base might fit but no larger. Bluefront's suggestion for the swiftech may be the best for cpu cooling though it's expensive.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:51 am

Ok...here's a link to a reasonably sized photo. The first photo I mistakenly posted came from an album with uncropped photos.

The attachment method used on this type of Intel board, is not as secure as the push-pin type. By this I mean the heatsink is not held as tightly as you would hope. It's possible you could use two spring clips with some tweaking. A better bet would be to use a TIM that sets up hard.....some ArticSilver types do this. Just don't move the heatsink at all after the TIM sets up....a few days or so.

Frankly....the cheap aluminum heatsinks that come with this board are just that, cheap. A better solution is in order for sure.

yamawho

Post by yamawho » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:25 am

pfft,

I only used the Mepis 6.5 cd to boot into memtest.
I decided to see if I could get the video tearing so I gave it a go.
I played a mpeg4 iPod video in part across the lan but it played very slow ... there may have been issues but I can't confirm since the quality was low to begin with. I may get more time later on this week. Since Mepis 7 is on the verge of going final, I may wait for that.

I did however boot with the Puppy v2.16 cd and the desktop image did not load (white background) and there was visible tearing ...

I may also try the small Asus power supply again, this time without the dvd-rom connnected. Maybe reducing by 20 watts or so will allow the board to boot.

I plan to switch the northbridge heatsink to the Zalman which I ordered last night ... found it for under 8$ online at directcanada.com

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?s ... MAN%20TECH

I also notcied that Agile raised the price on the D201GLY2 from 66$ I paid to over 88$ yesterday ...

vincentfox

Post by vincentfox » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:38 am

Any chance of a photo or two of the heatsink area?

Buck Futter

2GB ram

Post by Buck Futter » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:23 pm

Bios recognizes my 2GB stick of ram.
Installing windows right now. So far, so good.

Buck Futter

Post by Buck Futter » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:24 pm

pure456

Post by pure456 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:28 pm

I'm really interested in picking one of these up, lucky for me a local shop here in town carries them for $75. Just need to convince the little lady that in addition to a graphics card I also need another computer to go with my 2 desktops, HTPC, and laptop :wink:
Last edited by pure456 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

derekva

Re: 2GB ram

Post by derekva » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:32 pm

Buck Futter wrote:Bios recognizes my 2GB stick of ram.
Installing windows right now. So far, so good.
Crap.

Shoulda got a 2GB stick. Oh well.

-D

derekva

Post by derekva » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:36 pm

vincentfox wrote:Any chance of a photo or two of the heatsink area?
I posted one here about 2/5 the way down the page.

-D

syburgh

Post by syburgh » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:40 pm

@Bluefront: I found a similar heatsink at the store-- a Swiftech MCX156-CU. It's intended for chipset cooling and at 40x40mm, is smaller than the 50x50mm stock CPU heatsink. It's also 40mm tall without its fan, which is a few mm shorter than the stock D201GLY2 CPU heatsink.

Seems the standard CPU heatsink is 3-4mm too tall to accommodate a 3.5in drive the newly arrived Mini-box M300 case. CPU temperature seems very reasonable running this board in open environment with the stock heatsink, so we'll see whether this smaller one can be made to work with a lower profile heatsink.

I did test it at full CPU load for 45 min and temperatures were higher than running open, but I suspect the inadequate 40x40x10mm fan that comes with this case is mostly to blame. :)