My Black Beauty using Soldam ALCADIA ZR2000 SSV case

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

elpibe10

My Black Beauty using Soldam ALCADIA ZR2000 SSV case

Post by elpibe10 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:40 am

This is my web surfing, music listening & productivity rig called BLACK BEAUTY .

Priorities for this rig are :
- must be inaudible from where I'm sitting (about 1m away & with the aircon switched on)
- must be cool running (i.e. CPU & Gfx Card must be below 30 deg C & 50 deg C at idle respectively)

Specs :
Mobo : Asus P5K Deluxe
CPU : Intel Core2Duo E8400 w/ Thermalright SI-128SE & Scythe Kaze Jyuni 120mm 800 rpm
Memory : 2 x 1GB G Skill DDR2-800 (stock timing 4-4-3-5)
HDD : WD Caviar GreenPower 500GB in a Scythe Fanless HDD Silencer
Gfx Card : XFX 8500GT 512MB w/ Thermalright HR-03 Rev A (fanless)
Monitor : Dell 2407WFP 24-inch widescreen
Audio Card : Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 w/ LM4562 Op Amps
Amplifier : Krell KAV-400xi
Speakers : Chario Constellation Cygnus
Power Supply : FSP Zen 400W Fanless (80PLUS-certified)
Case : Soldam ALCADIA ZR2000 SSV
Fans : Intake - Scythe Kaze Jyuni 120mm 800rpm / Interior (AFAS) : Scythe Kaze Jyuni 120mm 800rpm / Exhaust : Scythe Kama Flex 92mm Low (undervolted to 1200 rpm)
Keyboard : Enermax Aurora
Mouse : Razor Diamondback (Plasma Blue)

This case has an unique airflow system. For details, please click here :
http://www3.soldam.co.jp/case/alcadia_z ... _r_ie.html

Welcome to my WiNDy House of Soldam :

http://www.freewebs.com/elpibe10/
Last edited by elpibe10 on Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:33 am, edited 6 times in total.

Techno Pride

Post by Techno Pride » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:03 am

hiya, I can ony see ur Aego. What's this Chario speakers that you have

elpibe10

Post by elpibe10 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:07 am

Techno Pride wrote:hiya, I can ony see ur Aego. What's this Chario speakers that you have
The Aego M is connected to my other (gaming) rig. More info. about the Chario here :

http://www.chario.it/product.php?prod=3&lang=1

They're handcrafted in Italy.

JaYp146

Post by JaYp146 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:49 am

Awesome, a fellow Scythe HDD Silencer user. :)

I'm really digging that case, very unique design. Too bad we don't have anything like that here in the US..

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:01 am

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out the advantages of the odd airflow design. :?: So lets see if I got this straight --

1) There are two side walls on each side, separated by perhaps 1/2" to 1"?
2) The air comes in via the vents near the back of each side panel, then is guided by the inner panel so that it enters the case from the front.
3) The air then flows normally front-to-back before exiting the case.

Possible advantages --

a) The intake air flow might be spread fairly evenly all across the front. I think this might be an advantage...
b) There are no holes in the front for noise to escape and reach the user directly

Disadvantages seem to be many...

a. It's a long way for the air to travel through a pretty narrow passage, especially with a 180 degree turn; in the process, much air velocity will be lost -- that's pretty much guaranteed
b. The benefit of no front holes is probably negated by the aluminum construction (1/3 the density of steel) which is more prone to vibration noise.
c. Higher fan speeds will be needed for the same amount of cooling (compared to straight front-back design).
b. & c. will combine to increase turbulence noise.

How does the PSU get cooled? Is there a top vent and a 120mm fan PSU?

Moogles

Post by Moogles » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:18 am

elpbibe10: where do you live? I absolutely adore Soldam Windy cases and would pay a handsome fee to own one. I was under the impression they're almost impossible to acquire outside of Japan. If you've found a supplier for North America or Europe, PLEASE... PLEASE share your wisdom!

elpibe10

Post by elpibe10 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:36 pm

MikeC wrote:I'm scratching my head trying to figure out the advantages of the odd airflow design. :?: So lets see if I got this straight --

1) There are two side walls on each side, separated by perhaps 1/2" to 1"?
2) The air comes in via the vents near the back of each side panel, then is guided by the inner panel so that it enters the case from the front.
3) The air then flows normally front-to-back before exiting the case.

Possible advantages --

a) The intake air flow might be spread fairly evenly all across the front. I think this might be an advantage...
b) There are no holes in the front for noise to escape and reach the user directly

Disadvantages seem to be many...

a. It's a long way for the air to travel through a pretty narrow passage, especially with a 180 degree turn; in the process, much air velocity will be lost -- that's pretty much guaranteed
b. The benefit of no front holes is probably negated by the aluminum construction (1/3 the density of steel) which is more prone to vibration noise.
c. Higher fan speeds will be needed for the same amount of cooling (compared to straight front-back design).
b. & c. will combine to increase turbulence noise.

How does the PSU get cooled? Is there a top vent and a 120mm fan PSU?
I was previously using an Antec P182 with exactly the same hardware (except for the exhaust fans at the rear) and the overall level of audible noise emitted from both cases are quite similar (i.e. very low).

However, this Soldam case does have an advantage of slightly lower audible noise near the front due to the totally enclosed front panel design whereas the P182 'leaks' noise through the air vents on both sides of the front panel.

Regarding Disadvantage 'a', yes you're right. The overall system temp. does go up by 2 deg C after switching from the P182 to this.

As for Disadvantage 'b', there is no vibration felt on the case maybe because there are rubber trimmings round the edges of the entire case and there are also noise absorbing material used behind the front panel where the fan is located as well as the inner side panels.

This case does have a major drawback though. The hard drive cage doesn't have any noise insulation system implemented like the P182 so hard drives would be highly audible when mounted on the cage. I removed the hard drive cage (it is removable by the way) and used a Scythe fanless enclosure to avoid this weakness and it does help but still couldn't match the almost total hard drive silence of the P182.

Overall, I'm really happy with this case. It does look very elegant and the workmanship (anodized aluminium, joints, beatifully crafted thumbscrews, etc.) is definitely second to none (I used to own Lian Li, Silverstone and Antec cases previously by the way).

I'm a staunch support of SPCR and would love to see this case reviewed here one day :idea:

elpibe10

Post by elpibe10 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:41 pm

Moogles wrote:elpbibe10: where do you live? I absolutely adore Soldam Windy cases and would pay a handsome fee to own one. I was under the impression they're almost impossible to acquire outside of Japan. If you've found a supplier for North America or Europe, PLEASE... PLEASE share your wisdom!
Hi Moogles, I've replied to your pm at VR-Zone.

Mythy

Post by Mythy » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:52 pm

WHERE CAN I BUY THAT CASE IN USA?

elpibe10

Post by elpibe10 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:20 pm

Mythy wrote:WHERE CAN I BUY THAT CASE IN USA?
It is not available outside Japan I'm afraid.

The only way to get hold of one is to ask someone in Japan to purchase on your behalf and ship it to you.

Mythy

Post by Mythy » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:00 pm

Like that would ever happen I'm sure that the weak dollar combined with case costs and shipping would be insane :oops:

elpibe10

Post by elpibe10 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:06 pm

Mythy wrote:Like that would ever happen I'm sure that the weak dollar combined with case costs and shipping would be insane :oops:
My estimation ... about US$400 to US$500 including shipping for one that's similar to mine.

Last edited by elpibe10 on Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

elpibe10

Post by elpibe10 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:02 am

Replaced the PSU with an FSP Zen 400 and my rig is even quieter than before.

It is now practicaly inaudible 1 metre from where I'm sitting in an air-conditioned room. :D