am2 phenom upgradability? FORGET IT!!

Share your experiences about noisy computers and components, and vendors responses to your valid complaints.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

psymanproductions

am2 phenom upgradability? FORGET IT!!

Post by psymanproductions » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:44 am

gigabyte said they will not be giving bios updates for its am2 boards (atleast ones based on the n-force550 chipset) to allow us to upgrade to phenom!

last year i spent £150 on an amd processor and a gigabyte am2 motherboard knowing intels core architecture was capable of gigving me more processing power for heat produced.

i did this because i was lead to belive by amd that ALL current AM2 boards will support a phenom drop in upgrade so my plan was buy a cheapish dual core athlon and upgrade to quad core when the phenoms come out and become cheap.

however i emailed gigabyte to see when they will be doing a bios update for phenom and they said NEVER!

to make matters worse they lied saying that the n-force 550 chipset doesnt support phenom. i know it does... it just wont be able to clock indidvidual cores up & down individualy.

i am angry at both amd and gigabyte for this, amd promised upgradability... gigabyte refused to deliver it and they lied to me. amd also kind of lied claiming that you WILL be able to upgrade. all this would have been avoided if amd had made it known that the upgrade is dependent on mobo manufactures not being cum rags.

i will not be buying gigabyte mobos again and amd can forget it unless they bring a processor to market wich rapes intel core quads and costs pennies (unlikely for the next 1/2 years i think)

ahh... feel better after getting that off my chest, hope you enjoyed my rant lol

gentonix

Post by gentonix » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:52 am

Then again, their nForce 570 board is advertised to support Phenom:
http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Mothe ... uctID=2513

And at least MSI seems to think that nForce 550 could be Phenom compatible, since it is under testing in their nForce 550 board (and I think they are only testing if the power draw is suitable for the board, since the 125W processors won't work with the power design of that board):
http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func ... 3_no=#menu

AFAIK there is very little difference between nForce 550 and 570 besides the SLI, ethernet, RAID5 and number of SATA ports and none of those certainly is a requirement for Phenom to work. In other words they're just lying to their customers. Sad story. Looks like they're just wanting to sell more boards to people upgrading to Phenom.

I wonder what NVidia says about their chipsets' Phenom compatibility. If you ask them, don't mention what Gigabyte said, because if you do then they'll just stick to what their partner says or give some evasive answer.

gentonix

Post by gentonix » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:04 am

Here's a board that supports Phenom with a mere nForce 520 chipset:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?M ... R3.0&s=AM2

I wonder whether my Gigabyte nForce 520 board will get Phenom support...

psymanproductions

Post by psymanproductions » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:28 am

yea the nf550 chipset is the same as the 570 exept for the little add ons like raid etc as far as i can see. like you said its about gigabyte wanting to sell more boards. why should they care about me?... theyve already got my money.