Northbridge temperature while folding

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Northbridge temperature while folding

Post by spookmineer » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:55 pm

In the past month or so I didn't even think twice about this, but what is a reasonable temperature for the NB?
My PC has been stable and running F@H SMP almost 24/7.

Both the HSF and rear case fan are spinning at 800 RPM.

While folding, CPU = 35 °C, NB = 62 °C.
Idle, CPU = 28 °C, NB = 35 °C (the NB temp drops really quick to 36 °C in less then a second).

I think it's safe, the max CPU temp is rated 72 °C (X2 5200+) and I read somewhere, NB can withstand higher temps then CPU's.
But I don't know how well it handles these temperatures for long periods.

Is it OK...? Or should I run the fans faster for additional cooling?
At the moment, the PC is not inaudible but it doesn't attract attention when the radio on.

(Hm.. it's also possible I configured speedfan incorrectly)

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:07 pm

People seem to run all day long with their NB at 60C. Its very common. I wouldn't worry about it unless you plan on overclocking. Mine was over 60C all summer at stock speeds. It's actually a tad cooler now that the apartment is cold and with overclocking.

You didn't mention who made your NB, but the easiest thing to cool it down it simply to attack small heat sinks to the one that's already there.

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:20 pm

Thanks for the fast reply. I feel better already :D

I can't fit another heatsink to the NB, it's an Asus M2N32 which uses heatpipe cooling for some of the components.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:58 pm

spookmineer wrote:Thanks for the fast reply. I feel better already :D

I can't fit another heatsink to the NB, it's an Asus M2N32 which uses heatpipe cooling for some of the components.
The thing about NB HS temps is that's all it is. The temp of the HS. How hot is the actual NB?

I see what appears to be flat tops on the NB and SB in the pics of your board I am viewing. If there are fins under the flat tops then by all means, remove the flap tops, it's a styling gimmick. I see covered fins in image number 2 at this link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131011

The next easiest thing to do in your case is to add a fan and direct airflow straight at the NB.

If you're serious about cooling and keeping it then it becomes neccessary to remove the entire heat pipe structure from all attachments, clean everything and apply Artic Silver 5.