Noisy AT PSU

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Likif
Friend of SPCR

Noisy AT PSU

Post by Likif » Tue Nov 26, 2002 11:55 am

...what to do?

Hi! New here. Just got a GlobalWin CBK58-II for my main rig instead of a Tt Volcano 6Cu, and am overwhelmed by the difference. Now then, I have an old computer I use for making music, with a noisy AT power supply. And I wonder...is it possible to replace it? I'm not into soldering. I just wonder if it's somehow possible to use an ATX, since noiseless AT PSUs are not to get hold of these days.

thank in advance

Likif
Friend of SPCR

Post by Likif » Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:22 pm

I might add that I always run it with the case open - my cpu cooler halts after bootup 2 out of 3 times, so I have to check it when I boot up. :wink:

I thought about just stopping the PSU fan, but I am worried it might get too hot.

quokked

Post by quokked » Wed Nov 27, 2002 3:20 am

ummmm 1stly might do u good to get a new CPU cooler or at least a new CPU fan on top of it :D
with the AT power supplies and the ATX power supplies the only problem is that the plugs on the supplies are different to connect to the motherboard, but u might get lucky and have one of the boards that have BOTH types of connectors AT and ATX
Otherwise u might have to hunt round for a AT powersupply with a quiet fan at like computer swap meets...

Likif
Friend of SPCR

Post by Likif » Wed Nov 27, 2002 5:00 am

yeah, I thought about replacing that fan...

but that would involve me doing something. :o

Anyhoo. Here's a pic of my board:

http://www.gcscanada.com/products/mothe ... _image.htm

Now then, in the top left corner, is that an ATX power input alongside the AT?

I might just open the damn thing and do the fan trick...it's probably easier than ordering and installing a new one. :?

DarkLord

Post by DarkLord » Wed Nov 27, 2002 6:15 am

Yes, thath *is* an ATX Power Connector to the right of the AT connector! So you could easily use an ATX Power supply on this Mainboard as well.... Personally I'd just but another quiet fan inside the current ATX PSU and maybe undervolt it to 5-7V... should be enough t cool an old AT PSU, shouldn't it? :)

Tom P

Post by Tom P » Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:50 pm

I don't know how your AT power supply connects to your case's power switch, but mine is wired directly. Even with the ATX connector on your mainboard, adapting the "AT" power button might be more trouble than it's worth. If your AT p/s is really noisy now, like mine was, you may gain a lot by just replacing the fan with a new, quieter one; even at 12v it may be a big improvment and it's not all that complicated.

...a post after two months of lurking and stealing ideas (g).

Likif
Friend of SPCR

Post by Likif » Wed Nov 27, 2002 3:30 pm

Yeah, I just opened the first PSU in my life :o

...wasn't that hard. Have ordered a Pabst 12 db (can't get Panaflo here in Scandinavia). It looks easy enough. Right? Right? :P

Have also ordered a 60 mm Pabst for my K6-2 500 CPU. Will be trying Zalman's Fan Mate to see how low it can go. I get the impression from this site's recommended CPUs that a low airflow will do fine. Have heard otherwise from other sources... :?:

...on my way to my first lownoise PC! Huzzah!