Do quiet replacement fans (about 50mm) exist for video cards

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

js47

Do quiet replacement fans (about 50mm) exist for video cards

Post by js47 » Fri Nov 29, 2002 12:26 am

I recently purchased a Dell 8200 Dimension PC (mistake?). It was very noisy, but after I replaced the power supply and case fan it was much quieter. One more noisy component remains to be fixed, the NVidia geforce4 Ti 4200 video card.

I have been told that all (or nearly all) high performance 3-D graphics cards now use cooling fans, and that all these small fans (about 2" square) use very high rotation speeds making them all very noisy. None of Zalman's video card heat sinks will work for me because they require the card slot next to the video card not be used (space needed for heat sink). Unfortunately I need to use all of my card slots. Does anyone know if video card replacement fans exists that are noticably quieter than the cheap/noisy fans on today's video cards?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Nov 29, 2002 6:35 am

Bump from me 'cause I'd love to know. I've got an 8500 with a GPU fan that is starting to get noisy.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Nov 29, 2002 8:52 am

I guess this info should be placed some placec entral. I just posted this elsewhere:

If there's room above the PCI/AGP slots, a low noise 80-92mm fan on a Zalman 123 or 165 fan bracket (or facsimile) will bathe both sides of the VGA card with enough airflow to replace tiny fans, usually w/o any mod of the HS. Often good with a 5-7V Panaflo (80mm, L). This is the simplest, cheapest effective mod - if you have room.