I'm Justchill from Belgium and I love this website/community!
I'm showing my own Silent PC project. My main goal was to create a silent, overclockable (= good airflow), good "bang for the buck" computer. I was greatly inspired by the many, many builds and topics here at this forum.
I use my PC for internet, office, email, multimedia, downloading and from time to time to play a game (recently I had been playing black and white 2). That's why I don't really need high end components.
Hardware specification page.
<< (this page is dutch, but you'll understand)
I guess there's no explanation needed
Created with JAlbum. You can fix the left bar with the nail. Hover the picture to read the comment at the left.
- Overview of different 'mods' I've done + some comments. Some mods are worth it, some aren't. But I've done most of them just for fun..
1. Lapping of IHS
: You really should do that, it makes you win 1 to 3 C's. My CPU was allready very flat, so I probably didn't win that much.
2. Cutting out grilles
: it improves airflow. I'm considering cutting out the back exhaust grill to create a blowhole.
3. HD suspension
: It's a PITA job, but it's worth it.
4. Ducting the ninja
: Wel, you actually win 3 - 5 C on max temp @ full load!
5. Adding a pull-fan on the ninja
( push-pull config ): Didn't really help
6. Fin bending of the ninja
: Didn't help much
7. Filling the heatpipe holes with thermal paste
: didn't really help.
8. Using the thermalright bolt thru kit
; I guess it's better but I can't compare because I never used the push-pin mounting system.
9. Adding BE QUIET isolation material
10. Replacing the Antec tricools with Yateloon DS12L
. Helps alot!
- Notes/things I've learned on silent PC:
1. It's difficult to have a silent AND overclocked PC. If you overclock, you need extra cooling, and extra cooling means more sound. You'll have to find a compromis.
2. I have 4 hard drives, and they are the loudest components in my system. You hear the motors buzzing. If you want a real real silent PC, get max 2 hard drives.
3. Get a fan controller! That is a MUST for this case. I can control 6 fans with mine. On low every fan is inaudible..
Well this is it. Now it's up to you to give comments. I'm very open for improvements.