90 degree bends in water cooling?

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

TailsNZ

90 degree bends in water cooling?

Post by TailsNZ » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:49 pm

Hi!

I haven't posted here for ages, since building my last PC (Antec 180 case and such, good stuff) but now I'm creating a custom case in the shape of a life sized anime character.

This means though, that air flow and space above the CPU are really limited. Since I'm planning on putting a quad core unit in (waiting for the 45nm's to come out), I thought water cooling would be the way to go.

Someone suggested to me 90 degree adaptors to solve the space issue, but another person recommended I avoid those. So I was wondering what you all think? Good idea? Or risky?

Thanks so much!!

Considering the character is made of polystyrene this is the biggest cooling challenge I've faced yet.

Atmosper

Post by Atmosper » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:22 am

There's nothing dangerous about using 90° bends. Just gives you a little less flow. Shouldn't be a big problem.

TailsNZ

Post by TailsNZ » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:34 am

Thanks, that's good to know. It helps that I'd only be using two I guess.

I've been recommended the Apex Ultra H20-220, which seems to have gotten really good reviews.

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:10 am

I remember when watercooling was "in", with soaring hot amd athlon cpus that routinely used way more power than a 45nm cpu... even then you didnt have to have a really powerful setup to handle the heat.

If you dont plan on overclocking you wont have any problems with 90' bends in your watercooling setup.

thetoad30
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by thetoad30 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:00 pm

I currently have a Swiftech MCP655, a Swiftech MCW60 on an EVGA 8800GT SSC, and a D-Tek Fuzion on an Intel E6700.

Pump is set at lowest speed (1), and all fans in my system (two YL DS-12L for the P182 and three for the ThermoChill PA120.3 mounted external) are at 7V.

I have six 90 degree bends in my system. Temperatures, at max, reach 35C on either the GPU or the CPU. ATITool measures the GPU temp, and Intel Thermal Monitor (TAT) measures the CPU temperature.

I'd say that the fact that GPUs and CPUs are becoming so energy efficient has pretty much gotten rid of the true need of water cooling these days. Sure, if you're over clocking for records, water cooling can and does do a good job (short of the extreme like phase change or liquid nitrogen), but I think you can air cool just as silently as water cooling if you really wanted to, even with over clocking.

I'm actually thinking of moving back to air cooling with the Accelero S1 for the GPU and the Ninja Plus Rev B for the CPU, as both of these can be run passive with just the two YL fans in my P182 case. Also removes the headaches of swapping components and having to redo the whole loop.

Just something to consider. I love water cooling, but man is it a PITA for testing other components or changing anything.

TailsNZ

Post by TailsNZ » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:39 pm

35c on the GPU? Wow, my GPU goes to over 100, lol. It's a 6800GT with a much quieter fan on it, but yeah it sure runs hot.

Good to know the CPU's now are running a lot cooler. I think most of my problem though, is that this will be in a giant polystyrene case, with no way to get cool air inside and the only output fan being in the PSU. Which (I'm not even 100% sure that will work?) I imagined meant I needed an extreme cooling solution. What do you think?

Here's an image of it, with the CPU side in her thigh, and the taller video card in her butt / lower body *rough image - not final design*

thetoad30
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by thetoad30 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:42 am

Yeah, I'd agree that if you only have a PSU exhausting the case, I'd definately be careful. My PSU runs at 800 RPM all the time, but it's inside the P182 lower chamber with a YL on 7V and two 1TB Seagates.

I would also consider trying to keep your HDD above the PSU in this situation, as I think that the GPU heat and CPU heat (if air cooling) will overheat your HDD.

If you aren't planning on moving it (water will add lots of weight to the case and I'm not sure polystyrene will hold it well for movements) or changing out parts, then by all means, water cool it. It will be a lot easier to cool with what you're trying to do.

Otherwise I'm sure you could come up with some, uh... rather imaginative... places to put a fan. :shock: :lol:

Remember, too, that the CPU isn't really the problem. I looked up some wattage reading a review of the new 45nm cpus, and I think that the quads used like 40-50 watts of power at load. This is even below a C2D, which is more than easily cooled unoverclocked passively with a Ninja, assuming some nearby case fans to help with minimal airflow.

So the big issue is really the internal heat and the GPU heat. I think that the GPU heat, compounded with Northbridge and VRM heat, flowing up into your hard drives and then through the PSU might be risky for your hard drives. Let's just say, I don't think I'd ever want my hard drives above my CPU and GPU. Heck, I don't really even like my CPU above my GPU, but that's the ATX format for you.

In short, what will you be doing with this PC? I'm assuming gaming with a 6800 and a quad, but you know what they say about assuming.

TailsNZ

Post by TailsNZ » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:06 am

haha, great minds think alike :P I changed the design this evening:

The hard drives are now in her chest. I'm still not quite sure where to put the DVD drive, so I'm leaving it in her head for now. A SATA cable will reach up there, but it's not the best place for it to go :/ Right above the hard drives might be better.

CPU wise I think I'll most likely get the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450.

Water will add lots of weight? Mmm I hadn't actually considered that. With my current PC the only parts I've changed over the years are the hard drives, so that's probably gonna be the same with my new one, but moving her, hmm. The plan is to put the motherboard on a solid metal base (which will sit on the table) and have a wooden / PVC pipe frame.

She won't be moved often, but still I'll keep that in mind and probably make the insides more detachable.

What do I use the PC for? Video editing (and hoping to get a HD Camcorder at the end of this year or maybe next... editing in 1080 I'm sure will take quite a bit of power), Photoshop and sometimes some 3D design. Very little gaming, so I think I'll stick with my 6800 GT for another few years.