Need help for priming Reserator 2

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Massi186

Need help for priming Reserator 2

Post by Massi186 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:06 am

Hello everybody, I'm a new member from Italy. I am reading you for some time and this is my first post.

I bought the Reserator 2 and I installed it following instructions by Zalman. Unfortunately I cannot make the pump start because it cannot get rid of the air trapped inside the Reserator. I tried everything suggested by Zalman: I have reset and restarted the pump one million times, I have tilt the Reserator on both sides but without results. I have spent 5 hours in the last 2 nights trying to make it work. The pump works, I can hear the buzz. If I move the rese on one side, with a certain inclination, then I see the flow indicator moving slowly but after few seconds it stops again.

Anybody has any hint/trick to solve this problem ? I have read some reviews where all say that the priming process is not immediate but I never thought it would have been so difficult. Moreover,even if I make it start now that is not connected to the heatsinks, when I will connect it, it will suck again air from the empty tubes and I am afraid I will have again the same problem.
I am really surprised that Zalman didn't think of a way of making the process easier, considering also that the Rese 2 pump is quite weak by nature.

mmakowski

Post by mmakowski » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:04 am

I had a very similar problem. It took me hours of tilting and even lying the thing down horizontally to eventually initiate some minimal flow. After I connected the CPU block the flow rate was very low and an air bubble formed in the tube around the CPU block, but strangely enough the cooling was very efficient.

As for getting the thing running for the first time the only idea I have is to put an additional, more powerful pump in the loop.

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:27 pm

I didn't have a lot of problems with it.
Make sure you fill the reserator like described in the manual, and only use the short tube that goes directly from "out" to "in" on the reserator.
The first stage is to make sure the reserator is filled properly without air bubbles.

I didn't fill up the reserator to 100% first time, and I had to tilt it both ways till it was almost flat with the floor. When the reserator is almost flat with the floor, it is easier on the pump to fill the system. Once the system is filled up (and you can place the reserator in the normal upright way) let the pump work for a few minutes more.

Switch off the reserator, remove the short tube and plug the waterblocks in.
Once more, switch on the pump and maybe even tilt the reserator a few times again to make sure the system is completely filled and without any air.

Unplug the tubes (only 1 or two drops will spill, maximum), and build the waterblocks into the PC. Once all blocks are in place, you can plug the tubes back into the reserator and the system will be filled like before.