Shutting up a Dual G4

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

pixel_pimp

Shutting up a Dual G4

Post by pixel_pimp » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:21 am

I've just started working in an office with many very noisy machines. Some I probably won't be allowed to get my hands on (an x-serve, the UPS systems etc) but there are a couple that I at least have a chance of shutting the hell up - principally a Dual G4 that makes a really intrusive ringy noise.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips for silencing Macs? Any pitfalls I should be looking out for?

nitram_tpr

Post by nitram_tpr » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:10 am

I would say you need to get inside and see what fans they have and then change them out for quieter one. I doubt very much you will be able to change any other hardware. The other thing that might be able to be changed is the PSU.
Thing is, who would be paying for this? you or the company?

pixel_pimp

Post by pixel_pimp » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:19 am

Hmm - looks like Apple, in their wisdom, have used a wacky PSU design. Which costs £145 to replace with no assurance of less noise :shock: This is bad news as it looks like that's the prime noise source as it has two 40mm fans in it which would tie up with the high pitched tinny sound it's making. :(

If there's anything I can do that doesn't cost a lot, the company would probably spring for it.

I've noticed a small fan that appears to draw air in from under the side panel and direct it over the optical drive. As this drive is never really used, I'm figuring this should really be redundant.

Even if it isn't, the machine shouldn't be under much stress as it'll be getting used more or less solely for email & web browsing so I've got to figure it can get by without the airflow from a partially obscured, low profile 60mm fan.

williamn6133

Post by williamn6133 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:39 am

pixel_pimp wrote:This is bad news as it looks like that's the prime noise source as it has two 40mm fans in it which would tie up with the high pitched tinny sound it's making. :(
Handy with a soldering iron?

http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/40mmfans

EDIT: Or a cable stripper / scissors for that matter. I have cut, stripped and carefully twisted together the existing fan wire on a psu with that of a improved fan before, and it seemed to work well. A bit of electrical tape covers the exposed wire back up again.