MSI with powerless [northbridge] cooling!

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Redzo

MSI with powerless [northbridge] cooling!

Post by Redzo » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:49 pm

MSI is doing some pretty cool things with CPU coolers that use Stirling motor technology and convert heat into fan movement. So CPU is generating heat which is converted to fan movement and that i cools HS.
Very elegant i have to admit :-)
Hope it work in real life though...
Read more here
http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func ... ews_no=591

Avalanche

Post by Avalanche » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:19 pm

Um, why would this be useful?

Edit:
Okay, I admit I'm all for cool gadgets and using technology to improve efficiency. I even like thermodynamics. However, this seems a little pointless. The < 2 watts a CPU fan uses is peanuts.

derekva

Post by derekva » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Avalanche wrote:Um, why would this be useful?

Edit:
Okay, I admit I'm all for cool gadgets and using technology to improve efficiency. I even like thermodynamics. However, this seems a little pointless. The < 2 watts a CPU fan uses is peanuts.
Because this is cool, that's why. This is probably the neatest thing I've seen all week. And yes, the ~ 2W a CPU fan uses is not a big deal, but it is still a Sterling engine being used to cool a northbridge. That pretty much wins the uber-geek award for 2008.

-D

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:55 pm

The thing that made me really like the idea is that it's sort of self-regulating. As the core heats up, the temperature differential between the chip and the ambient (for the most part) increases, so then the fan speeds up. As the core cools down again, the fan would slow down. Nice negative-feedback loop.

Of course, the only problem is if the ambient temp inside the case is the same as the actual chip, but I'm pretty sure you'd put a case fan in there before this ever happened.

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:01 pm

Yo, wrong forum. This is not a CPU cooler. It's for chipsets.
World's First Powerless Air Cooler on a Mainboard!
MSI presents the "Air Power Cooler" chipset cooler
There is a big, BIG difference between a chipset heatsink and a CPU heatsink.

This should be in "Fans and Control" and/or "CPUs and Motherboards" not "CPU Cooling"

That said so long as it's quieter and more reliable than a traditional 40mm chipset fan I'm all for it.

Oh and this is the img that makes it more obvious that its on a chipset next to an empty CPU socket.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:03 pm

Hello,

Already covered in this thread (and another later one, too).